How hard is law if you are bad at writing english essays. (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
b.economics usyd vs b.comm/law macquarie

in terms of job prospects in the business field.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Re: b.economics usyd vs b.comm/law macquarie

in terms of job prospects in the business field.
apples or oranges, which taste better?

It all depends on what you want to do, if you want to do law then you wouldn't have as many job prospects if you did B Eco. You get the point...

sghguos

HSC
N/A

apples or oranges, which taste better?

It all depends on what you want to do, if you want to do law then you wouldn't have as many job prospects if you did B Eco. You get the point...
well I want to do finance.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Out of curiosity, what do you find appealing about finance?

Kurby

HSC
N/A

Do law. Econ jobs are hard to get into. At least with law, you could broadly apply it to a range or areas.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Do law. Econ jobs are hard to get into. At least with law, you could broadly apply it to a range or areas.
Oh thanks for the advice especially from someone whos done an b.eco(hons)!!!

Can I ask though, do you have a good job right now? is eco jobs really that hard? what would my specs have to be.

Also, with law what areas can i apply it to?

sghguos

HSC
N/A
How hard is law if you are bad at writing english essays.

Writing essays and using those complex/analytical words is definately one of my weaknesses.

enoilgam

HSC
With a law degree and the legal profession, you need to have solid writing skills, because writing is a key component of law. As one of my lecturers told us "Good written communication skills are not an optional extra for law". If you are weak at writing then Law probably isn't the degree for you. In saying that though, if you are really passionate about Law then you should try it - writing is the type of thing where if you work hard at it you can definitely improve. However, given your postings on BoS, I seriously doubt whether you are really passionate about it. Also, given how you have struggled thus far in your current degree, I would steer clear of Law if I were you.

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
Enoilgam laying the smackdown!!! +1000000

albertcamus

HSC
With a law degree and the legal profession, you need to have solid writing skills, because writing is a key component of law. As one of my lecturers told us "Good written communication skills are not an optional extra for law". If you are weak at writing then Law probably isn't the degree for you. In saying that though, if you are really passionate about Law then you should try it - writing is the type of thing where if you work hard at it you can definitely improve.
Just out of curiosity, how important is vocab in law essays? Since I can construct a logical blah argument that answers the question with relative sophistication in terms of language and terminology, but I do have lapses in sophistication at times (HSC Essay Subjects).

izzy88

HSC
Just out of curiosity, how important is vocab in law essays? Since I can construct a logical blah argument that answers the question with relative sophistication in terms of language and terminology, but I do have lapses in sophistication at times (HSC Essay Subjects).
You don't need to use big words that no one has heard of. There is some law specific terminology that you pick up over time, but the main focus of law writing these days is plain language legal writing. People want to understand what you are writing/speaking about. The days of really obscure legal writing is pretty much over.

As long as you can write clearly and concisely, you should be fine.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
You don't need to use big words that no one has heard of. There is some law specific terminology that you pick up over time, but the main focus of law writing these days is plain language legal writing. People want to understand what you are writing/speaking about. The days of really obscure legal writing is pretty much over.

As long as you can write clearly and concisely, you should be fine.
I agree with this, but I'd also add, you need to be able to stand more complicated writing and terminology to be able to process that into simpler languages.

In my law subject I've done so far, it wasn't as straightforward as "He stole the car so he was guilty". It was ranting and ranting in big words, and that is what was extracted.

Personally, I couldn't be a lawyer because having to sit there with the arguments for and the ones against in all the obnoxious big words drove me insane :p

izzy88

HSC
I agree with this, but I'd also add, you need to be able to stand more complicated writing and terminology to be able to process that into simpler languages
Good point. There is a lot of comprehension involved in law.

enoilgam

HSC
As Izzy said, the emphasis these days is on plain english when it comes to writing in Law - at ND we were penalised for using "legalese" or writing in an overly complex manner. Being able to write in plain english is actually quite a good skill to have with regards to law, because you will often be faced with complex concepts and cases/legislation which can be verbose and difficult to comprehend. So if you can simplify stuff like that, you will do well.

I would say that with Law, you need to have an ability to comprehend and simplify highly sophisticated and complex texts, as opposed to producing them yourself in a written assignment.

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with this, but I'd also add, you need to be able to stand more complicated writing and terminology to be able to process that into simpler languages.

In my law subject I've done so far, it wasn't as straightforward as "He stole the car so he was guilty". It was ranting and ranting in big words, and that is what was extracted.

Personally, I couldn't be a lawyer because having to sit there with the arguments for and the ones against in all the obnoxious big words drove me insane :p
Omg how true. I haven't been able to crack the HD barrier for law essays due to poor expression. :(

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC

Oh thanks for the advice especially from someone whos done an b.eco(hons)!!!

Can I ask though, do you have a good job right now? is eco jobs really that hard? what would my specs have to be.

Also, with law what areas can i apply it to?
You can apply law with almost anything, it could give you a leverage into finance.
However, as you've asked in the Law section, if you're not strong in english then you'll most likely suffer.

Ricktatorship

HSC
Would you say that essays in Law are more similar to English essays or Modern History essays (to those that did both subs)?

I know they are similar but in general I was v poor in advanced English (hence my drop to standard), but am pretty good with mods.

enoilgam

HSC
Would you say that essays in Law are more similar to English essays or Modern History essays (to those that did both subs)?

I know they are similar but in general I was v poor in advanced English (hence my drop to standard), but am pretty good with mods.
Definitely Modern History - as I have said a few times on BoS, I think that in terms of skills, Modern History is the closest HSC subject to Law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)