How hard is it to achieve a WAM of 70 in Computer Science during the first semester? (1 Viewer)

CaptainPrice

HSC
It seems one can transfer from B Science to Computer Science provided they have at least a 65 WAM.

My goal would be a 70 WAM. How hard is it to achieve this during the semester 1 exams of the Computer science electives? Does this mean I need to maintain a 70% average across all exams?

Edit: I've also taken HSC Physics and plan to take the higher Maths that Computer science students do.

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC
Re: How hard is it to achieve a WAM of 70 in Computer Science during the first semest

I assume it wouldn't be too difficult. I am sitting on 60 something and I just did average, in fact even failed phys 1A

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Re: How hard is it to achieve a WAM of 70 in Computer Science during the first semest

It seems one can transfer from B Science to Computer Science provided they have at least a 65 WAM.

My goal would be a 70 WAM. How hard is it to achieve this during the semester 1 exams of the Computer science electives? Does this mean I need to maintain a 70% average across all exams?

Edit: I've also taken HSC Physics and plan to take the higher Maths that Computer science students do.
It's not hard at all. Why did you mention you did hsc physics when physics is not a comp sci course?

CaptainPrice

HSC

I assume it wouldn't be too difficult. I am sitting on 60 something and I just did average, in fact even failed phys 1A
Alright, that just scares me lol. Did you study a lot? And are marks scaled like the HSC? Like Physics would scale better than Art electives...

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC

It's not hard at all. Why did you mention you did hsc physics when physics is not a comp sci course?
You can take as elective iirc. Dunno why one would though lol

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC

Alright, that just scares me lol. Did you study a lot? And are marks scaled like the HSC? Like Physics would scale better than Art electives...
I studied quite a bit yes. HSC != UNI. No scaling. There is always that one dickhead that asks the lecturer all the time "if we get 40% we get scads up right bro?" Nao, does. It happen at uni, you either do the work or you get left behind

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
You can take as elective iirc. Dunno why one would though lol
Yeah - Achieving good marks in Physics would require you to study a lot and it's considered a difficult course. I wouldn't recommend it unless if you enjoy physics. Btw, Hsc physics is nothing like uni physics
Edit: This is for OP

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC

Yeah - Achieving good marks in Physics would require you to study a lot and it's considered a difficult course. I wouldn't recommend it unless if you enjoy physics. Btw, Hsc physics is nothing like uni physics
Key word: nothing

1st week jump straight into 4U mechanics lol

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC

He didn't study at all. And yeah marks are also scaled lile the hsc and some are scaled more than others.

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC

tbh first year physics is overrated
in hindsight its not as nearly as difficult as people make it out to be

CaptainPrice

HSC

Yeah, that was a mistake, I thought Physics fell under Computer science. What if I choose to do:
- MATH1141 Higher Mathematics 1A (6 UOC)
- MATH1241 Higher Mathematics 1B (6 UOC)
Instead of the lower level maths, how hard are they? Like 4u maths compared to 3u, I assume?

Edit: I won't be taking Physics, I originally thought it was required under CompSci course haha

Last edited:

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC

He didn't study at all. And yeah marks are also scaled lile the hsc and some are scaled more than others.
Always thought there was but i guess i was wrong

HSC
Uni Grad

It's not that difficult due to the fact that the answers to quizzes can easily be retrieved, same with labs. Also finals tend to repeat the same sort of questions as well so you can imagine that it wouldn't be too hard.

Tbh if they completely changed the final then I probably would have scored much much lower.

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC

Yeah this but we are only naive 1st years.

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC

Yeah, that was a mistake, I thought Physics fell under Computer science. What if I choose to do:
- MATH1141 Higher Mathematics 1A (6 UOC)
- MATH1241 Higher Mathematics 1B (6 UOC)
Instead of the lower level maths, how hard are they? Like 4u maths compared to 3u, I assume?

Edit: I won't be taking Physics, I originally thought it was required under CompSci course haha
Makes no difference. Higher is scaled a little bit but thats it

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad

Not very hard to achieve >70 WAM

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad

If you're looking for a higher WAM, unless you excel in a subject you are probably better off doing the easier version of the subject. For example I would have done PHYS1121 if I was allowed. But yeah I agree physics was overrated, people just struggle with it (me included) because majority of the learning in that subject was done in stuvac.

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC

If you're looking for a higher WAM, unless you excel in a subject you are probably better off doing the easier version of the subject. For example I would have done PHYS1121 if I was allowed. But yeah I agree physics was overrated, people just struggle with it (me included) because majority of the learning in that subject was done in stuvac.
so true lol

D94

HSC
N/A

Makes no difference. Higher is scaled a little bit but thats it
lol. The 1141 and 1241 courses are around 30% different to 1131 and 1231. It goes into more depth, introduces many new concepts on top of the 1131/1231, but it scales quite well. I literally did not do a section's worth of questions in the 1241 paper (out of 4 sections) and ended up with 88.

But if you need to ask whether or not to do higher maths, then you shouldn't do higher maths.

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC

lol. The 1141 and 1241 courses are around 30% different to 1131 and 1231. It goes into more depth, introduces many new concepts on top of the 1131/1231, but it scales quite well. I literally did not do a section's worth of questions in the 1241 paper (out of 4 sections) and ended up with 88.

But if you need to ask whether or not to do higher maths, then you shouldn't do higher maths.
Well what I was trying to say was that yes the courses are the same but obviously the Higher one would cover more stuff in depth.

the new concepts part; I don't really agree with; it was all 3/4U

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)