How hard is 2U Math in Year 11/12 compared to math in Year 10? (1 Viewer)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
BTW Rathin considering you are doing 12 units (for yr 12), it's best to focus on english adv, bio, Physics and PDHPE work in the holidays (if it's too much then reduce it to just PDHPE and English advanced. Just my suggestion of things)
I study what is needed...I know what to study and what not

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Eyeseesyou Inb4burout, dude calm down..obv study on the holidays but not the whole fkin day..2-3 hours a day in the holidays is all goods

fluffchuck

HSC
Ahaha thank you, goal is only 95 :p
I understand what you're saying, but yea, everyone works differently. Just make sure you test what works and what doesn't work for you, don't spend your entire prelims studying doing the same 10 hours per day, where you could have found a method of studying that only requires 5 hours and you achieve better ranks? o:

And apologies OP for this commotion, I recommend you do not do maths in year 11 or you have a definite 10 units that you are going to keep for hsc, UNLESS your course requires 2u maths, which I believe laws doesn't. Contrary to what eyeseeyou said, you don't need 3u maths for 'scaling' to get a good atar. Remember, any subject combination can result in 99.95 if you work hard enough :)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Eyeseesyou Inb4burout, dude calm down..obv study on the holidays but not the whole fkin day..2-3 hours a day in the holidays is all goods
Nah I want to make effective use of it and I am calm, lol

Okay you do whatever you want, but I'll just be doing my own thing

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
The only time I studied 10 hours is for memorising an english essay the day before...It worked out for me..I came first in the grade for englis..my worst subject..so eyesesyou studying 10 hours may work for you too. Mind you after that 10 hour study session I didnt study for a whole week..I was burned out af..just something to think about mate.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Ahaha thank you, goal is only 95 :p
I understand what you're saying, but yea, everyone works differently. Just make sure you test what works and what doesn't work for you, don't spend your entire prelims studying doing the same 10 hours per day, where you could have found a method of studying that only requires 5 hours and you achieve better ranks? o:

And apologies OP for this commotion, I recommend you do not do maths in year 11 or you have a definite 10 units that you are going to keep for hsc, UNLESS your course requires 2u maths, which I believe laws doesn't. Contrary to what eyeseeyou said, you don't need 3u maths for 'scaling' to get a good atar. Remember, any subject combination can result in 99.95 if you work hard enough :)
true but if you are doing low scaling subjects then it's gonna be harder (IMO) unless you do exceptionally well (i.e. 97+ mark for each exam)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
The only time I studied 10 hours is for memorising an english essay the day before...It worked out for me..I came first in the grade for englis..my worst subject..so eyesesyou studying 10 hours may work for you too. Mind you after that 10 hour study session I didnt study for a whole week..I was burned out af..just something to think about mate.
unless I find a way to magically combat burnout lol which I don't think is possible

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I wouldn't spend overly too much time studying prelim content.

I would however recommend putting it some serious time into HSC work. Just be intelligent about it.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't spend overly too much time studying prelim content.

I would however recommend putting it some serious time into HSC work. Just be intelligent about it.
I have a feeling that if I do that, then I won't get into the habit of studying much lol, it's just me and that mentality

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Nah I want to make effective use of it and I am calm, lol

Okay you do whatever you want, but I'll just be doing my own thing
How much do you plan on studying in the holidays before start of Term 1 Year 12? If you do too much you may burn yourself out before the year's even begun. Wouldn't you want to relax a bit in the holidays, seeing as it's a long break (and the last break) before Year 12 officially begins?

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I have a feeling that if I do that, then I won't get into the habit of studying much lol, it's just me and that mentality
If you must study semi-excessively don't waste it on prelim.

Learn something useful (read: HSC)

The key is to be self-aware enough to know when it is too much, and when it is a waste of time.

fluffchuck

HSC
true but if you are doing low scaling subjects then it's gonna be harder (IMO) unless you do exceptionally well (i.e. 97+ mark for each exam)
It's harder to do well in a high scaling subject if you can't get good ranks compared to you doing lower scaling subjects that you actually like and can perform at a good level at.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
It's harder to do well in a high scaling subject if you can't get good ranks compared to you doing lower scaling subjects that you actually like and can perform at a good level at.
Consider this: a student getting a band 5 for 4U maths and another student getting 96 for legal studies, who's better? How much study do you need to put in order to gain these marks/ranks

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Consider this: a student getting a band 5 for 4U maths and another student getting 96 for legal studies, who's better? How much study do you need to put in order to gain these marks/ranks
According to http://www.atarcalculator.com.au, a 96 in Legal Studies is a 99.75 ATAR-equivalent, whereas 89 in HSC 4U Maths is 99.35 ATAR-equivalent.

According to that ATAR Calculator, the minimum 4U mark needed to get an ATAR-equivalent above that of a 96 Legal Studies mark is 93 4U HSC mark, which it says is 99.8 ATAR-equivalent.

fluffchuck

HSC
96 is way better lol, band e3 for 4u Maths doesn't require that much study, that 96 for legal is pretty state rank level. But some people can say that getting a 90 in legal is way easier than getting a scaled mark of 60 in 4u.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
96 is way better lol, band e3 for 4u Maths doesn't require that much study, that 96 for legal is pretty state rank level. But some people can say that getting a 90 in legal is way easier than getting a scaled mark of 60 in 4u.
Scaled mark of 60 in 4U? Isn't that achievable with essentially a very low raw mark?

(What do you mean by scaled mark of 60, do you mean the HSC examination mark?)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
How much do you plan on studying in the holidays before start of Term 1 Year 12? If you do too much you may burn yourself out before the year's even begun. Wouldn't you want to relax a bit in the holidays, seeing as it's a long break (and the last break) before Year 12 officially begins?
Hm...quite a fair bit actually. Well...I don't really know how much time I should be taking off actually, maybe I'll take the last week of the summer holidays and then when it's one week back, I'll take a break and then when it's 2 days before school, I'll do some light studying

TBH I don't even know ahaha, that, I can worry about when the time comes

fluffchuck

HSC
Scaled mark of 60 in 4U? Isn't that achievable with essentially a very low raw mark?

(What do you mean by scaled mark of 60, do you mean the HSC examination mark?)
I meant the overall mark, 60 may have been a bit exaggerated, but I think you get the point I'm trying to make :)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I meant the overall mark, 60 may have been a bit exaggerated, but I think you get the point I'm trying to make :)
To get a mark of 60 in 4U, I think a really low raw mark suffices. Haven't checked the Raw Marks Database recently but from memory something like 65-70 raw scales to E4 (so 90), so imagine what'd be needed raw-wise to scale to 60 (quite low probably!). Furthermore, a lot of the Q's in HSC 4U papers these days are relatively routine, so the raw mark needed to scale to 60 would probably be achievable just from these routine questions. So it wouldn't necessarily be harder to do this than to get the required marks for a B6 in HSC Legal Studies (depends on things like how routine Q's in that are and how high a raw mark you need in that to scale to 90).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)