• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How good at music do you have to be to pick this... (1 Viewer)

Supaweak

HSC
Hi i'm in year 10 and its around the time of the year where i start picking subjects for year 11 and I guess im a bit freaking out i wanted to do alot of subjects but bleh i've cut out alot of things but anyways back on topic. how pro at music do you have to be to do it? I use to play the piano for about 2 years then I quit ,I can read notes and stuff and I've got a piano to work off with at home and all that and I am in a position to pick it up again.

I'd also like to point out im more into like music producing using computer programs to make beats and stuff rather than sitting down playing something on an instrument.

I've also been thinkning about doing music just to tie in with Entertainment as I'm doing that subject as a certainty (well i think)

i hope i made sense,

thanks

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Im in year 11 doing music at the moment, and basically theres alot of music history involved, so alot of learning different composers, and there styles. I'm a singer, and don't know much music theory, so I am finding the course quite challenging. You're expected to know all your key signatures etc.

Try Music 1?

Cerry

HSC
Music 1 would be a good option for you - there are heaps of electives you can choose, including stuff about technology and music, which can encorporate production, and synths and all that jazz. You don't have to be a performer at all, if you don't want to be, and you can get by doing a limited amount of theory.

bored of sc

HSC
A background on an insturment/vocals helps and an understanding of music theory is also important (although you can manage by starting from stratch).

slickerthnsleek

HSC
ggrrace said:
gagagaga
Music 1 drives me nuts. Sometimes I can practice so much and still stuff up on the day lol... :D
Let me just say, if you're committed to putting in the effort, it's easy to pass.
But if you're not dedicated, it's just as easy to fail.
It's not a subject that you can study the night before cus you need to be constantly developing yourself.. :D
gah..
I wished I had known this sooner.
Music as a hobby is a lot more fun. :D
Quoted for truth.

I wish I'd kept it as a hobby rather than a subject.
Having said that... it'll all be over in a few weeks. =]

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
If you're the sort of person who does exceptionally well in english, or history, and have a lot of commitment, you could well do Music 2.

It really depends where your intrests and lie.

Epistemophobia

Serenity Painted Death
HSC
Basic music knowledge would be essential, but yeh you can pretty much learn it from scratch in 2 years. i mean HSC wise you've got the aural exam, which is easy if you know what your looking for. Just get a music bible.. its all cool bro. laughs

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
jasonml said:
If you're the sort of person who does exceptionally well in english, or history, and have a lot of commitment, you could well do Music 2.

It really depends where your intrests and lie.
this is true but not if he only played piano for about 2 years.

sparkerasp

HSC
wixxy2348 said:
this is true but not if he only played piano for about 2 years.
The compulsory performance only accounts for about 10% for music 2.

If he/she was a good public speaker, they could do a musicology elective which requires you to have at least a really good knowledge of the concepts of music (which are very easy to learn. If you know your concepts, you can pretty much ace your music 1 aural).

Cerry

HSC
sparkerasp said:
The compulsory performance only accounts for about 10% for music 2.

If he/she was a good public speaker, they could do a musicology elective which requires you to have at least a really good knowledge of the concepts of music (which are very easy to learn. If you know your concepts, you can pretty much ace your music 1 aural).
Actually, in music 2, the musicology elective is an essay, not a viva, and being a good public speaker is therefore useless. You only get to do vivas in music 1.

Matt1120

Basically a History Nerd
HSC
Supaweak said:
Hi i'm in year 10 and its around the time of the year where i start picking subjects for year 11 and I guess im a bit freaking out i wanted to do alot of subjects but bleh i've cut out alot of things but anyways back on topic. how pro at music do you have to be to do it? I use to play the piano for about 2 years then I quit ,I can read notes and stuff and I've got a piano to work off with at home and all that and I am in a position to pick it up again.

I'd also like to point out im more into like music producing using computer programs to make beats and stuff rather than sitting down playing something on an instrument.

I've also been thinkning about doing music just to tie in with Entertainment as I'm doing that subject as a certainty (well i think)

i hope i made sense,

thanks
We had someone similar to you in our Music 1 class. Our teacher told us basically you could come into the course with no musical knowledge whatsoever and still do well. The fact you played piano will help because you have to do aleast one practical. But for the other 3 choices you can do essays or composition. So yeah you should be fine. Its a good course as well. NOt much :read: for us, we had a lot of listening stuff

Takuto

HSC
I'm exactly like you, I had around 1-2 years of piano experience at the beginning of Year 11

I chose Music 1 but dropped it at the end of Year 12.. it's too hard for someone who is just starting the performance strand imo.. its difficult to develop technique and dynamics and thus score high

Unless you're REALLY good at composing (are you experienced with this?) or making speeches.. I don't think choosing music is worth the effort or time with the below average scaling.. its going to be a chock full course with composing, theory and piece practice all at once

That being said, its one of the most fun subjects you can pick (at least until the HSC comes around) =]

Piano rocks btw =] sooo fun haha

sparkerasp

HSC
Cerry said:
Actually, in music 2, the musicology elective is an essay, not a viva, and being a good public speaker is therefore useless. You only get to do vivas in music 1.
Whoops! Sorry. I do performance elective so I was a bit hazy with that. But you could still do it without learning an instrument. It's all theory basically.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
either way, i'm saying it's 10% performance u don't want to lose, and u do need a fairly grounded knowledge of music concepts etc. to do vivas... there'd be a shitload too in music 2 i think?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)