How does your school impact your hsc marks? (1 Viewer)

mrbananaman

HSC
N/A
hey guys :)
I was just wondering how your school ranking would have an impact on your hsc?
my school is ranked 20th in the state, so would that mean we won't be dragged down/ will we be pulled up?

so confused!

thanks in advance :)

Dylanamali

HSC
your actual school rank has no bearing on your atar/hsc marks.

But your classes performance does.. this is because everyone's ASSESSMENT mark is based on two things..
1) your rank and the size of the gaps between each rank
2) the performance of the cohort in the external HSC Exams.

The place where your cohort affects your marks is in your assessment mark.. this is because the MEAN (average) of the HSC marks becomes the MEAN (average) of the assessment marks. So if your school/class does well in the external HSC exams it could pull you up but if they do bad it could pull you down. Because your from a top 20 school, I'd expect your peers to do well in the HSC exams and "pull you up" if needs be.
But in terms of "pulling up" and "pulling down" it also comes down to your OWN performance in the HSC exams. Because everyone keeps their own HSC exam mark, the only mark which is moderated/affected is the assessment mark.

You need to aim for high ranks to ensure that you are not pulled down, no matter how highly ranked your school is.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
At the end of the day, you get a fair assessment mark based on what you did throughout the year. The only possible reason as to how you could receive an unfair mark is from teachers at your school not fairly marking or having poorly designed marking schemes.

What affects your HSC overall performance the most is your HSC exam itself.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
At the end of the day, you get a fair assessment mark based on what you did throughout the year. The only possible reason as to how you could receive an unfair mark is from teachers at your school not fairly marking or having poorly designed marking schemes.

What affects your HSC overall performance the most is your HSC exam itself.
That's not always how it works.
My internal for chem was 83 and my external was 91, mainly because everyone fucked up towards the end of the year and it was a small class.
So yeah, school matters a bit.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
That's not always how it works.
My internal for chem was 83 and my external was 91, mainly because everyone fucked up towards the end of the year and it was a small class.
So yeah, school matters a bit.
If it's a small class, then that's a totally different story. If your cohort is large (30+), then you wouldn't expect the whole cohort to fuck up.

ClassOf2013

HSC
I go to a school where only around 30-40 people do the HSC, and most of them are the less "intellectually gifted" students (most of the grade does IB). There's only a few "smart" people doing the HSC (maybe 5-10 or so), the classes are small (mostly 5-15 students each) so does that mean my mark will be scaled down?

The whole "school ranking" thing seems pretty unfair to me.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I go to a school where only around 30-40 people do the HSC, and most of them are the less "intellectually gifted" students (most of the grade does IB). There's only a few "smart" people doing the HSC (maybe 5-10 or so), the classes are small (mostly 5-15 students each) so does that mean my mark will be scaled down?

The whole "school ranking" thing seems pretty unfair to me.
No, you don't get scaled down. Your exam mark is unchanged no matter what school you are from and your assessment mark is based on your relative position in the cohort to determine your relative assessment mark.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
School matters a bit, but if you do consistently well, you'll be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)