how does everyone pay for uni? (1 Viewer)

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
my parents had a 'chat' to me last night about how i was going to afford moving to canberra, and i was just wondering how everyone here pays for uni? i know i can hecs my uni fees, but accommodation i'll have to pay for. for people who have to do this, what kind of job do you have and how many hours do you work a week? at anu, how hard/competitive is it to get a scholarship?

thanks =]].

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
parents will pay for my uni stuff.

If I get scholarship, that's just bonus. :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
so jealous. i got told, "we're not a bottomless pit." haha.
ah but I would be like forced to serve my parents with my income for the first 5 years at least. So it's like a HECs anyway for me. :mad1:

Andi0390

HSC
I put myself through year 12 so I don't think uni is going to be much harder. I save a lot, do casual jobs here and there and youth allowance. When i'm really broke I go to my friends places for dinner. Rent can be a killer though, it takes such a huge chunk out of your money.

I think the transition period is the hardest, you know moving out of home, figuring you need toothpaste and that toilet paper is more expensive than you thought. Once you get used to it though your quality of life improves. You can take little short cuts like not putting margarine on sandwiches. Or not having any at all. Buying things on sale. Rice and pasta. I'm vegan though, so these days its just fruit and vegetables and rice and corn pastas that cost too much for pasta. I don't know what I will do when grapes go out of season. :(

I haven't bought new clothes for myself for about a year though.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
i told my parents that it will cost the same for me to live at home than a college. Not having me at home means i can't annoy them- that was one of my arguments. Other than that, YA and/or loan from olds

HSC
Basically i have saved heaps during the time between the HSC and Uni (which is about 5 months) and am receiving youth allowance. A job is a must, and preferably at a department store or supermarket: woolies, big w, coles, myer, kmart, target etc so you can geta transfer to your new uni location: an immediate job!

Moving into a college is a good transition, you dont need to worry about rent, food, electricity, travel etc...but they are expensive. Youre looking at 12-13 grand a year, which you pay in instalments. BUT if u save this either during year 12 or in a gap year then you should be fine :)

Unless you already recieve Independent Youth allowance i reccomend taking a year to save save save...or get a scholarship. Youth allowance is so great! $370 a fortnight independent plus $110 rent assistance :)

Hope this helps...theres not enough good advice on this site.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
thanks heaps guys.

planning on applying for a few jobs [just quit my old one because i hated it so much] this week, and then not going out or doing anything [lol] so i can start to hardcore save during this year, and in the break between hsc and uni.

looking forward to youth allowance =]]. i didn't really understand though, will how much my parents earn affect it?

HSC
Well until your 'independent' (earn over 18,000) your youth allowance is based on ur parents income.

Andi0390

HSC
Alternatively you can get independent youth allowance by proving that its unreasonable to live at home, but unless it is then I don't recommend trying for it as it can be a real bitch to get. Took me a few months. I can't really imagine how I could live without it though, because I couldn't really earn enough through work and have time to study and still survive. If your parents aren't going to support you it can be pretty hard.

Also, you can get Centrelink through some study things, if it was essential for you to move from home for study and your parents couldn't afford to support you that much you may be able to get some kind of distance allowance, I have heard of that, so it might be worth checking out the centrelink website for some info.

chuckyhol

HSC
thanks heaps guys.

planning on applying for a few jobs [just quit my old one because i hated it so much] this week, and then not going out or doing anything [lol] so i can start to hardcore save during this year, and in the break between hsc and uni.

looking forward to youth allowance =]]. i didn't really understand though, will how much my parents earn affect it?
Your life will be terrible.

rumour

HSC
I can't get YA :(
My parents pay my rent & I have a casual job to pay for everything else.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Rents. Most people I've spoken to seem to get some form of support from home + working/Centrelink

spagbowl

bread.
HSC
thanks heaps guys.

Oh man i'm doing the same thing as you, saving up now so that i can afford to go to ANU next year.
I've already got a lame job lined up for canberra (because i work for a fast food chain haha), but i still don't know how i'm going to manage when i'm down there because my parents earn too much for youth allowance yet they can't afford to pay for my accomadation or living costs??

Just save heaps this year is the plan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)