How does computer engineering compare and contrast to computer science? (1 Viewer)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
not DFDs :p

Anyhow, DFDs, functional specs will come to you when your code reaches 5000+ lines. And if you wanna be able to outsource to some other countries, you'll need to be able to write them ;)

Affinity

HSC
"killing an ant with an atomic bomb"
quoting my COMP1091 tutor's coomment on my assignment

Do you guys get to participate in big projects like those with few hundred thousand lines of code?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Affinity said:
Do you guys get to participate in big projects like those with few hundred thousand lines of code?
I'm doing summer research in the Robocup project right now......yeh.........its a lot of code.......

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
That's huge. I think McLake can answer that for us (sengers).

for SENG, we might get to, since we get to be in a group of 3-5, and we have basically a whole semester to code a huge project. Hell, in total my group did ~150 page of documentation of a non-existent software, and predicting the same amount for an emerging software next semester. Basing on the trend, I think you can safely assume the code will be much more than the documentation. Probably not hundreds of thousands, but tens of thousands.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Affinity said:
"killing an ant with an atomic bomb"
quoting my COMP1091 tutor's coomment on my assignment
out of curiousity, wat was the assignment on? haha, u C genius....:p....even more reason not to do COMP1091....its depressing >.<

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
underthesun said:
That's huge. I think McLake can answer that for us (sengers).

for SENG, we might get to, since we get to be in a group of 3-5, and we have basically a whole semester to code a huge project. Hell, in total my group did ~150 page of documentation of a non-existent software, and predicting the same amount for an emerging software next semester. Basing on the trend, I think you can safely assume the code will be much more than the documentation. Probably not hundreds of thousands, but tens of thousands.
When you move into 2nd year SENG you write a very large amount of B (shudder) and C++/Java code. In 3rd year SENG it is apparently even more ...

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
btw I heard from my tutor, that half or (insert some random huge amount more than half) of some 3rd year seng class failed, and had to be given "passes" since too many failed, because the work was just too hard?

and if i can remember correctly, it involved c++ and cobra or something like that?

When I heard it, I dont know whether i should be scared or excited. :/

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
3rd Year SENG is C++ (+ I think you can use Python, but I am not sure). I am glad that we have a C++ guru on our team, but I am still going to study up on it over the holidays.

I imagine people fail cause they don't get the system working. It is some huge client/server project that needs 10 of 1000's of lines (if not more), written by 4 people, that all have to work perfectly, whilst doing other lovely 3rd year subjects. I am glad that I seems to be able to do a 3-day week in S1, seems like I will need it ...

Excited! Should always be excited by a challenge ...

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
btw just wondering, how much presentations do we still get to do in 2nd year? I imagine the documentation and formal methods (aka B) part will still be big..

Actually, do we get to code in 2020?

and also, the challenge has to come with some mooty bragging (e.g SENG workload = 2 * compsci workload :p, therefore we are superior)

ace

is retired
HSC
Just wondering McLake, what is concerned in COMP2411 - Logic and Logic Programming?

AE86

HSC
Whoa, so many replies and i didn't get any notifications to email.

Anywayz, how hard is this course compared to electrical engineering?

Damn, i heard electical would be very hectic.

ace

is retired
HSC
zoodboog said:
I hope you liked Discrete
I got bored, looked up COMP2411, read some of the notes. It's just logic proofs shoved into a computer language.

Glad it was pulled from being a Software Core, just hope the replacement course isn't worse.

AE86

HSC
Can you guys rate the relative difficulty of Computer Eng, Soft Eng, Comp Sci and Elect Eng in a specific order?

From what i heard people saying, my guess goes like this.

Electrical>Computer Eng>Soft Eng>Comp Sci

Correct me if i'm wrong

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Well, it would all depend on electives, since a hard compsci > easy seng, hard seng > easy compsci etc..

But for core courses difficulty, seng > compsci, since seng core = compsci core + seng additional cores. This is because other than mathematics 1B, seng core is a superset of compsci core. And seng workshop is VERY time consuming (first year), and supposedly both very time consuming and very hard (year 2-3).

sunny

meh.
HSC
If you pick all the easy electives subjects with no regard for what you are actually learning and do your best to cruise through uni with minimal work, then yes comp sci is easier than every other program.

You're asking a question that has no answer. I might find Comp Sci extremely challenging, but still doable and enjoyable, but you ask a seng student who might not have the same interests they'll tell you its impossible, and vice versa.

This is a question you need to answer yourself - choose what you like best

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
hehe old thread, but, would elec eng or comp eng be better for a job to do with microprocessor design..i actually read in the unsw booklets, that comp eng has more do to with programming than hardware stuff. Im just interested in the hardware, i mean i dont hate programming, havent tried it really.

Also im planning to do B Elec Eng/ B Comm anyway, and i dont think comp eng is offerred with BComm?

thx

Last edited:

grimreaper

HSC
STx said:
hehe old thread, but, would elec eng or comp eng be better for a job to do with microprocessor design..i actually read in the unsw booklets, that comp eng has more do to with programming than hardware stuff. Im just interested in the hardware, i mean i dont hate programming, havent tried it really.

Also im planning to do B Elec Eng/ B Comm anyway, and i dont think comp eng is offerred with BComm?

thx
With careful choice of electives, I think you could avoid doing a lot of programming in comp eng and focus on hardware, but you will definately have to do some throughout the degree. Comp eng is offered with commerce

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
Ok nice, do you think that comp eng will be better for that kind of hardware basis rather than elec eng? Thats pretty much the key for me.

grimreaper

HSC
STx said:
Ok nice, do you think that comp eng will be better for that kind of hardware basis rather than elec eng? Thats pretty much the key for me.
Sorry I really dont know someone else will have to answer that. Alternatively, find the degree programs for elec and comp eng and see which one has the courses/electives that suit you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)