How do you write/type notes? (1 Viewer)

agua.fuego

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
i hand write and colour code everything.
high lighters are your friends.

im a strong advocate of handwriting. it sinks in more, and prepares you for exams.
Agree with both of those, primarily the highlighter comment. :cool:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
me121 said:
if you want to see how i do my notes, you can take a look at mine at my web site.
Your notes are scarily amazing! Your way of making notes seems similar to mine. But how would you come to memorising it?

jazzbaby

HSC
What i have started to do is go home after school and summarise all the lessons of the day. This way i am able to stay on top of things, which is much better than my previous method of just typing everything a week before exams. This only takes about 2 hours, but extra time of course for homework.

I still find time to go out with friends but more importantly i do not start freaking out and stressing before exams. I have a different folder for each subject on my computer. Im proud of the fact that i have become more organised :D. Lol

For maths i dont type anything, gosh that would be hard. I do try to do extra maths as it is my weakest subject.

Namu , your notes are extremely detailed, you should try and put it in a more simplistic form. Like if i were you i would just break each sentence down into 2 bullet points or 2 seperate more simple sentences. I tend to type in sentences , i dont know why but i just find it easier to recall things like that.

Anyway good luck, hope you liked my long-ass response.

:)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
Your notes are scarily amazing! Your way of making notes seems similar to mine. But how would you come to memorising it?
I made zillions of revisions. I would just start writing whatever I could soon after we covered it in lessons, then gradually I referred to other resources and made improvements. I continued to go through all the topics through the year and each time I found some way to make improvements.

The fact that I kept going through it and making slight revisions consolidated it in my mind.

Also close to the hsc exams and trials i just spend like 2 days for each subject to go though and make a summary in paper version. i also then did past papers which often led me to check back on my notes.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
me121 said:
I made zillions of revisions. I would just start writing whatever I could soon after we covered it in lessons, then gradually I referred to other resources and made improvements. I continued to go through all the topics through the year and each time I found some way to make improvements.

The fact that I kept going through it and making slight revisions consolidated it in my mind.

Also close to the hsc exams and trials i just spend like 2 days for each subject to go though and make a summary in paper version. i also then did past papers which often led me to check back on my notes.
Effective learning through consistent improvements, sounds impressive! I will follow that.

EDIT: I would still appreciate more advices!!! (I am being selfish now) :mad:

eliseliselise

HSC
lyounamu said:
Effective learning through consistent improvements, sounds impressive! I will follow that.

EDIT: I would still appreciate more advices!!! (I am being selfish now) :mad:
well!! this is what is in progress at the moment [and will commence once i escape the wrath of BoS!] for biLOLogy and chemistry i have a subject divided book for each, so i have a divider between each topic.. so for bio i have like a local ecosystem, life on earth, evolution et al in a seperate section- i then get a copy of all the syllabus dot points, i cut them out and paste them at the top of the page and then write the answer underneath. that way i know that i know that i know all that i have to know. [lol] i HANDWRITE them... then highlight..

but.

HOW do i write them??

dot points, with no big words. just catchy sentences.. and i like to add an exclamation mark at the end of each sentence... stimulates the mind, makes me more passionate about science!! <3 [not physics] why dont u rhyme ur sentences?! or HAIKU!

terrestrial are
deserts, unlike the oceans -
which are aquatic

[enjambment!]

we could write a song about cell theory! but thats beside the point.. i think chemistry requires alot more memorising/notetaking for me anyway.. i find chemistry really quite challenging- but bio is just fun! for chem, i do the same thing but always write out a few examples of the various "skills" and i try to document all the practs and stuff and attempt to sate my dire penchant to memorise the 'take home message' from all of them.

• have fun writing notes.
  • they are beneficial.
  • use syllabus dot points.
  • then you are learning exactly what you need to know.
:)

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
I don't really bother with dot points, they don't seem to work for me that well compared to small concise paragraphs of information.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
I write in long paragraphs with both important and non important information. I highlight the important info. It helps to write paragraphs for your notes, esp, for ext response becaus you can just memorise your notes. After that, I write my notes all over again (this time, handwritten) and summarised.

Put headings. Best to use headings based on the questions they might ask.

liam9519

HSC
what I did for economics, when I was not enjoying it

because I was finding it so hard (about term 2ish) was

get the textbook, and write up the entire first two topics

into dot points, then typed the written notes up again.

Basically a dot point on each paragraph.

this committed it all to memory so well. next test I

wrote a 19/20 forex essay of the top of my head..

Eco is now my favourite subject (after maths) and I

find it really easy...

this isn't as effectivefor subjects like legal where

textbooks tend to not to follow the actual syllabus

as closely. for that I make my notes with the use of

a few textbooks at once on every syllabus point
- much harder

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
liam9519 said:
what I did for economics, when I was not enjoying it

because I was finding it so hard (about term 2ish) was

get the textbook, and write up the entire first two topics

into dot points, then typed the written notes up again.

Basically a dot point on each paragraph.

this committed it all to memory so well. next test I

wrote a 19/20 forex essay of the top of my head..

Eco is now my favourite subject (after maths) and I

find it really easy...

this isn't as effectivefor subjects like legal where

textbooks tend to not to follow the actual syllabus

as closely. for that I make my notes with the use of

a few textbooks at once on every syllabus point
- much harder
Oh. You write everything and then memorise everything. You would have been difficult though, wouldn't it?

Then how do you follow the syllabus? Did you take that into account when you wrote it or did you just write everything in the textbook?

maries

HSC
dont worry buddy, doing my HSC this yr and have the same problem. But from my experiences in yr 11, i realised the more detailed notes the better.

moodchanger08

HSC
I think using bullet points and judicious use of underlines and bolded words help you remember what you've typed up. I type up extensive notes for Biology according to each dot point and I find that even if I don't remember everything, in exams, I'll at least remember some of it. :)

liam9519

HSC
lyounamu said:
Oh. You write everything and then memorise everything. You would have been difficult though, wouldn't it?

Then how do you follow the syllabus? Did you take that into account when you wrote it or did you just write everything in the textbook?
well, for example, i recently started my legal notes for world order. how i compile

these is by looking at the syllabus, and writing a necessary number of bullet points

under every aspect of the topic mentioned. for example under 'Legal Issues and

Remedies', it is mentioned: 'Regional inter-governmental organisations'. so with

the help of one or more textbooks i just make up some dot points on it, which

not only gives a point of quick reference, but also helps me memorise.

and they look like this:

Regional Inter-Governmental Organisations
  • Can make law with regard to democratic processes, but not enforceable except to the extent which member States choose.
  • UN charter Article 52 allows and encourages member States to form regional inter-governmental organisations.
  • These agencies must take all efforts to resolve disputes in their region, before they refer to the Security Council.
  • The EU is the largest. Has 27 members. Some excluded: economic/human rights performance, poor (unjust) judicial systems.
writing everything from the textbook was 'eco-specific', (but applies to other

subjects/textbooks anyway), because the Leading Edge book tends to

completely parallel the syllabus anyway

...my holiday plan is to make notes like these for all subjects, record them and

listen to them on my ipod. anyone know the effectiveness of this?

bawd

HSC
I always write notes by hand. I buy separate 5 section divided notebook for each Subject I do, and use the dividers to separate topics for each Subject. This works especially well for subjects such as Economics, where the syllabus can be easily used as a guideline as to what to study or take notes on.

For less objective subjects, such as English, I still divide the book according to topics, but include a metalanguage section at the back where I note down new words and metalanguage.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bawd said:
I always write notes by hand. I buy separate 5 section divided notebook for each Subject I do, and use the dividers to separate topics for each Subject. This works especially well for subjects such as Economics, where the syllabus can be easily used as a guideline as to what to study or take notes on.

For less objective subjects, such as English, I still divide the book according to topics, but include a metalanguage section at the back where I note down new words and metalanguage.
^ I only do that for Mathematics & Mathematics Extension 1.

To everyone: Thanks guys. I have written great notes today. I made sure I put everyone's advice into account. It is quite concise but at the same time it is detailed enough. If you still have advices to give out, don't hesitate! Thanks.

bawd

HSC
lyounamu said:
^ I only do that for Mathematics & Mathematics Extension 1.

To everyone: Thanks guys. I have written great notes today. I made sure I put everyone's advice into account. It is quite concise but at the same time it is detailed enough. If you still have advices to give out, don't hesitate! Thanks.
I use the same technique to study for Mathematics as I do for Economics (both 2U/3U), but also make flashcards from 'memory jogger' perforated cards included in the back of the notebook I purchase. I stick these in the bathroom (I actually look at them during showers and when I'm on the loo, tips from my Mathematics teacher :)). I'm thinking of making a new set to include in my folder.

bettina44

HSC
lyounamu said:
Do you think it will work if I do it other way around? (i.e. type notes first and then write with my hands again)
That is because I tend to write quality notes when I type but I cannot seem to produce the same result when I hand-write the notes.
yeah i guess,i have a tendency to remember things better if their handwritten then typed.i only type up my notes cause i'm lazy

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
IMO, writing your notes will increase your writing speed, which is definitely needed for English whilst writing essays. When I 'write' my notes, I seem to remember them easily in comparison to 'typing' my notes. But it all depends on the person.

bawd

HSC
theshortykatt said:
write. you memorise it more.
Agreed. And if you are writing your notes in your own words or summarising (not just copying direct from a textbook), your ability to retain information increases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)