How do YOU prepare for exams? (1 Viewer)

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Hello,

I got my year 11 report back yesterday and I believe I did really well. However, many of my comments said that my exams let me down and I need to work on exam preparation. I ace assessments but when it comes to exams I think i just get scared and don't put so much time into them.

I really want to do well this year and I have changed my habits and I do more work now. But with exams I don't know how to exactly study correctly. I tend to study a week in advance or maybe 4 days in advance which isn't good i know.

I think i just get busy with assessments and then leave it...also i procrastrinate.. what are your tips?

Bobbo1

HSC
Preparation is the real key, for your half yearlies and trails you should really start studying maybe earlier, the more earlier you start the better your marks. Also start doing exams under exams conditions, i.e. time yourself, no cheating with notes..

sick_kent

HSC
i sometime's do practice tests but with notes, so you can elaborate on your answers, this allways helps me remember by the time exams come around.

maybe do the same test a week after without notes and see how much you can remember?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Do your homework. Keep up with the work. Study and revise material. Do past papers.

I don't see the point in everyone asking for a 'magic solution' to how to get 100% in exams. It's simple.

chels777

HSC
i relied on the whole practise makes perfect kind off thing practise papers are so crucial do them under exam conditions and get your teachers to mark them for you. Also it may be handy to get your parents to change your password to any social networking sites because they can be easily distracting. If you have enough time make notes at the end of every week for each subject for the dot points you have covered in class so that you can focus on practising when exams get near. Hope this helps

thisiswar

HSC
Study maybe like 4/5 weeks before the exam. When it's 1 week before the exam make sure you are doing past papers and nothing else. You should have everything in your head and past papers just help you to get in the mode. Then the night before sleep early and don't study anything on the day of the exam (until you finish of course). That's how i did it and it seemed to help :D

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
For year 12 trials -

Your trials are probably after the 2 weeks holidays isn't it? If it is, cram everything you can in the first week, and do past papers in the second week. That's what most people do and works quite well. But that is only if you haven't been doing anything for the past 2 terms.

For HSC - Cram cram cram cram cram in the 1 month break before the exams begin. On the last 2 weeks, do past papers after past papers after past papers after past papers after past papers after past papers.

Remember to not be too strict on yourself. You'll most likely burn out even before your trials!

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Thanks guys. I see that past papers seems to be a very good method of study. Also it is true, the earlier the better! Thanks. :)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks guys. I see that past papers seems to be a very good method of study. Also it is true, the earlier the better! Thanks. :)
Yes, past papers are essential but if there are also things you need to remember then stick it on your walls. I have notes stuck to like 70% of the walls in my room for memory aid. That's what I do and everything seems to stick quite well.

loaves

HSC
Keep your notes up to date! There's no point in wasting valuable studying time doing bitchwork like typing/writing out notes. Make a habit of catching up your notes at the end of each week for every subject, and it'll save you a lot of time in the long run that can be used to do past papers.

You'll also retain more by writing notes when you aren't stressed and cramming. When exam time comes around, you will think that you don't know much, but once you read over the notes you've made throughout the year (while focused and not stressed) you will recall a lot of that info.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
3-4 weeks before a test. Stare around my room with the knowledge of tests looming. Start making up crazy excuses not to study (eg it's too hot)
1-2 weeks. Study a little. Pace around the room.
1 week. Study like crazy (eg waking up at 4am and sleeping at 11).
Couple of days before, past papers and exam-style questions only.

Moral of the story: I should be more consistent.

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A
Read and cram the night before. But make sure you understand your concepts and concentrate in class if you wanna do this.
And past papers!!!

jnney

lemon
HSC
I have no idea why everyone is recommending you to 'cram' - don't do it, it's a bad habit that won't do you good. You should be consistent with your studies. If you want to do well, make summaries of what you have done after school that day, and refer to the syllabus. Make an effort to use other textbooks do extra exercises etc.

HSC
You should be preparing for your exams before you even know the date on which you will sit them. Pay attention in class by writing notes, and when you are at home, go over them and make sure that you know everything. you learned on that day.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I have no idea why everyone is recommending you to 'cram' - don't do it, it's a bad habit that won't do you good. You should be consistent with your studies. If you want to do well, make summaries of what you have done after school that day, and refer to the syllabus. Make an effort to use other textbooks do extra exercises etc.
Cramming is only good and will only work if you've kept up with the homework and study throughout the year.

Galladrim

HSC
Actually learning and mastering the content as you go makes a big difference. It can be a struggle to develop the self discipline to consistently pay attention, but it pays large dividends in the long term. Like all things, your ability to do well will increase with practice.

zhou

HSC
Uni Grad
definitely don't cram. know your stuff throughout the course, constantly revise and you won't ever need to cram.

irenefu

HSC
For the humanities subjects, I write down each syllabus dot point question on a palm card, and then write the answers on the back for every single syllabus dotpoint. I memorise them before the exam, by going through the palm cards of each subject at least 4-5 times a day. As for maths, I write down all the formulas into a notebook - and then I work on the topics I know I'm weakest at by going through all the types of questions in my textbook. For the topics I do know well , I just go through a few of the more challenging questions in my textbook. Then I finally do a few past papers in exam conditions - and the subjects I get the worst in, I improve by doing more questions and making sure I understand the concept.
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)