How do you maximise your processing speed? (1 Viewer)

thenuker6

HSC
N/A
How do you maximise your processing speed?
Currently, I am on a really bad computer and I am barely able to even browse the net on firefox without lagging.
I have tried to terminate some processes but to no avail. My RAM gets used way too quickly and this is the main reason for my lag.
Sometimes when I minimise something and I try to maximise it, it stops responding.
Anyways, any ideas would be great.
Please don't tell me to get a new computer, even though it is blatantly obvious that I need a new one.

greekgun

HSC
Dunno how much u can do but i think the best thing u can do at the moment is buy some more RAM. U can also clear some space up on your harddrive, turn off the applications which start up with your computer, turn off any heavy applications/programmes, and if ur using a laptop it may be overheating which sometimes causes it to go all laggy so try ventilating it. But getting some more ram is the best thing to do in my opinion.

But if u cant open up firefox without it lagging u might have some serious problem with ur computer? do u mind if i ask wat specs u have?

thenuker6

HSC
N/A
My specs are pretty bad for the current computing age,
224mb RAM
1.79 Ghz AMD Sempron
A really bad graphics card,
How can I close some of my original startup programs?
Currently I run with about 40 processes, is this normal for a laptop?
I do realise that my anti virus takes up a LOT of RAM, and I have pretty much disabled it but it still keeps running on startup.

greekgun

HSC
THE FUCK 244mb of ram how do u run off that? upgrade to like 1G RAM an u will notice heaps of difference. To close some of ur start up programs (they usually appear on the icon on the bottom left toolbar) right click and close, or right click and go to potions and adjust it so they dont start up when u turn on the computer.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
240mb gtfo wat version of FF are u using? About on menu bar towards top from memory
And wat os? Lolz if he says vista

LordPc

HSC
start -> run

type in msconfig [enter]

go to start up and un check anything you dont need, like that anti virus thing you said

might want to get some more RAM or just buy a new computer all together, especially if you only need it for basic applications like word processing and the net

thenuker6

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the help and not for the flame,
Windows XP is takes far less RAM than VISTA.
I guess I'll try to minimise my processing

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
My specs are pretty bad for the current computing age,
224mb RAM
1.79 Ghz AMD Sempron
A really bad graphics card,
How can I close some of my original startup programs?
Currently I run with about 40 processes, is this normal for a laptop?
I do realise that my anti virus takes up a LOT of RAM, and I have pretty much disabled it but it still keeps running on startup.
umm download avast instead of your current antivirus and upgrade RAM

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
THE FUCK 244mb of ram how do u run off that? upgrade to like 1G RAM an u will notice heaps of difference. To close some of ur start up programs (they usually appear on the icon on the bottom left toolbar) right click and close, or right click and go to potions and adjust it so they dont start up when u turn on the computer.
if your running XP that is not too bad, i had that on my old lappy and it was all sweet

*Jezzza

HSC
Uni Grad
Windows XP as you have seen will run reallllyyyy slowly on 256MB RAM, at LEAST get 512MB, 1GB preferably. Also, if you perhaps tried re-installing Windows? You might find that it would clear up all that junk that gets loaded on over the years. I used to format my XP with 512MB RAM every year because I would install programs which would load stupid startup components and then I would never use those program again. Also, RAM is pretty darn cheap these days too, although, if it's a Sempron, it might be using DDR400 which is old and not as cheap as DDR2667/800

TidyBoi

HSC
Holy hell, honestly, get rid of it now!

Only thing that machine is useful for is a torrent box.

It's not worth upgrading that POS, old parts are more expensive than new parts now.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I can quote you a decent PC for around 900 - the OS, you should have that anyways.

TidyBoi

HSC
You can get away with spending around $600 on tower only that would be miles ahead of what the OP currently has.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)