How do you avoid the overuse of words like 'thus' and 'hence'? (1 Viewer)

Hypem

HSC
They seem to be a plague in my essays...

enoilgam

HSC
You could try "As such", "As a result" or "Therefore". You can also use "Consequently".

ocatal

HSC
Find similar words (e.g. subsequently, moreover, as a result) and practise incorporating them into your essay instead.

Hypem

HSC
I also seem to have the 'thus' type link at the end of my paragraphs. What are some better linking-style sentences to use where you don't say something like 'thus, this is how...'?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think a lot of people fall into the trap of using thus and synonyms because it makes them feel literary goddess like to be making so many wise insights and surmising things.

If you are writing clearly, logically and concisely, you shouldn't need to overkill these words.

albertcamus

HSC
I also seem to have the 'thus' type link at the end of my paragraphs. What are some better linking-style sentences to use where you don't say something like 'thus, this is how...'?
Consequently, subsequently, as a result, therefore, ultimately

good words to use

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
In turn? you shouldn't need to use these that often that its noticeable. if you are, you have other problems

jasonz1c

HSC
N/A
I have a page full of connecting words which are great. PM me if you'd like them as i'll have to scan them.

Nyx

HSC
Bro, just use synonyms like 'evidently' for eg. just be creative and don't be too generic!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)