How do i write legally? (1 Viewer)

tasha19

HSC
anyone know what teachers mean by write legally. my teachers like 'DONT WRITE A BLOODY ENGLISH ESSAY WRITE LEGALLY!' i have like my first assessment tomorrow *shock*

lcx

HSC
ok legal studies si not a particularly "englishly" subject.
i take it that u r in yr11 right now so yeh ur jsut gettin used to it.
legal essays need u to write with 'legal sources'. u must include:
cases and legislation to back up ur arguments.
and wenever u can, media articles.

HSC
basically, dont fluff it out with fancy wording. use the right terminology, but be concise. its about getting the content in and communicating it well, not making it sound pretty.

basically...from what i remember.

vasuu91

HSC
tasha19 said:
anyone know what teachers mean by write legally. my teachers like 'DONT WRITE A BLOODY ENGLISH ESSAY WRITE LEGALLY!' i have like my first assessment tomorrow *shock*
yeah dont write legal essays as english essays....i suck at english essays but legal is one of my best subjects.
a legal studies essay needs to be flowy and stuff like an english essay (so do work a bit on the structure) but should be based on facts and evidence. i guess in order to make ur essay more 'legal' you could incorporate the following (and my teacher told me how to remember this stuff as well..;) )

Luke(legislation)
Cuddle (cases)
Me(media artciles)
Darling(documents i.e. statistics etc)

this does make ur essay more legally relevant. besides this remember to use correct legal studies terminology.......hope this helps :)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
vasuu91 said:
yeah dont write legal essays as english essays....i suck at english essays but legal is one of my best subjects.
a legal studies essay needs to be flowy and stuff like an english essay (so do work a bit on the structure) but should be based on facts and evidence. i guess in order to make ur essay more 'legal' you could incorporate the following (and my teacher told me how to remember this stuff as well..;) )

Luke(legislation)
Cuddle (cases)
Me(media artciles)
Darling(documents i.e. statistics etc)

this does make ur essay more legally relevant. besides this remember to use correct legal studies terminology.......hope this helps :)
Do you go to Strathfield Girls High by any chance, my teacher used that acronym

vasuu91

HSC
melsc said:
Do you go to Strathfield Girls High by any chance, my teacher used that acronym
nope.....seems to be a popular acronym!!

X-terc

HSC
N/A
One of the things my Legal Teacher always tell us, "GIRLS DONT LET YOUR EMOTION INTO LEGAL. LEGAL HAS NO EMOTIONS, I WILL GIVE YOU A ZERO, NO EMOTION NO RELIGION. EVEN IF YOU ARE RESPONDING TO THE MOST HORRIFIC THING YOU EVER HEARD, YOU CAN NEVER WRITE WITH EMOTIONS"

LOL. -_-' so um, I guess no emotions?

Jamoz

HSC
rofl... funny

well the best Way to make ur legal essay is using the right terminology and Evaluating a whole lot of crap giving evidence and stuff.. well I still have made my perfect Essay.. im gettin there but year 12 almost done.. OH GOD.. T_T

SimonLee13

HSC
X-terc said:
One of the things my Legal Teacher always tell us, "GIRLS DONT LET YOUR EMOTION INTO LEGAL. LEGAL HAS NO EMOTIONS, I WILL GIVE YOU A ZERO, NO EMOTION NO RELIGION. EVEN IF YOU ARE RESPONDING TO THE MOST HORRIFIC THING YOU EVER HEARD, YOU CAN NEVER WRITE WITH EMOTIONS"

LOL. -_-' so um, I guess no emotions?
When you answer questions, you try to answer objectively, obviously using emotional language detracts from this.

jazzbaby

HSC
tasha19 said:
as in bring up the legal aspects of the issue
dont just talk about its history and bla bla

lewis99

HSC
Try not to be too anacdotal in your writing (eg don't go into too much detail in talking about the case) and use correct and appropriate legal terminology wherever possible. Use the criteria to evaluate the effectiveness of the legal system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)