How do HSC marks work? (1 Viewer)

Examine

same
HSC
So I know there are internal marks and external marks, and through them you get the final mark. I've also heard that if you are a bad rank you will be pulled down even if you do the best. What about a person who receives 79% internals which is 1st in their cohort and receives 97 in their external, what would be their final mark?

Can anybody clarify this for me?

D94

HSC
N/A
So I know there are internal marks and external marks, and through them you get the final mark. I've also heard that if you are a bad rank you will be pulled down even if you do the best. What about a person who receives 79% internals which is 1st in their cohort and receives 97 in their external, what would be their final mark?

Can anybody clarify this for me?
If 97 is the highest external mark and is their mark, that person who has come 1st will get 97 for their assessment mark, 97 for their exam mark, thus 97 for their final HSC mark.

If 97 is not the highest, they will get 97 for their assessment and whatever they achieved in the exam. Then the average of the two will be their final HSC mark.

ReneeApple

HSC
Your internal MARK counts for nothing except determining your internal rank. Because every school marks differently and has different assessments, the marks across the board are not equal. The only thing that is equal is the external (HSC) exam. So they determine the internal marks from how that class performed externally.

Therefore, the person who ranks first internally gets the highest external mark as their internal. The person who ranks last internally gets the lowest external mark as their internal. The rest are all spread out according to the average of the class and the relative gaps between each rank. (Therefore, if your class performs poorly and you are not ranked first, their mark has the potential to pull yours down).

If 97 is the highest external mark and is their mark, that person who has come 1st will get 97 for their assessment mark, 97 for their exam mark, thus 97 for their final HSC mark.

If 97 is not the highest, they will get 97 for their assessment and whatever they achieved in the exam. Then the average of the two will be their final HSC mark.

delian

HSC
N/A
If your are second internally, you will get the 2nd highest external mark from your cohort as you internal mark.
So if your cohort is pretty decent, 2nd and 3rd should be fine.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
If your are second internally, you will get the 2nd highest external mark from your cohort as you internal mark.
Though HSC doesn't matter for me anymore, I'm confused lol. So from the way you've said it, internal assessment mark gaps don't matter at all? I would have assumed it matters since schools are instructed to submit internal marks, rather than ranks alone.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

NO

The only two exam marks that are used are the top and bottom - to determine the range of marks for the cohort.

After that they take into account the total marks earned in the exam - as that sets, within a mark or two, the total marks available for the cohort's assessment marks. They also use the same median and mean. After that the relative gaps come into play.

It is NOT a simple matter of second exam mark goes to second ranked student internally. That could be grossly unfair. If there is one mark between two students sent in by the school they will keep that one mark or maybe extend it to two or three if necessary.

There are, of course, times where the second ranked person will get the second exam mark but that is because that is the marked determined by the above process not because it was the second mark.

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
That's only if factors like the standard deviation are small for that sample space.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)