How big is the hole in your pocket? (2008 textbooks and materials) (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The text lists are available at the Co-Op bookshop for the courses which have been finalised, or online on your myMQ page (though if this hasn't been set up, then Co-Op shop).

They aren't placed online anymore, due to an incident several years ago whereby a competitor found their list and undercut them on most books.

As for the other parts of the question, it'll depend on the course, sometimes they'll have a key text and/or a reader, or may have 2-3 books etc. It really depends on your subject. The compulsory ones will be marked with 'required' texts, the non-compulsory 'recommended'.

You'll find people selling books all over the place, just check the flyers stuck on walls, the popular law/commerce stuff which doesn't really change too much are there, but as with buying anything like that, make sure the course hasn't changed the text, before buying anything.

david1337king

HSC
So we have to buy the books that are compulsory, but what about the recommended books, are they very helpful or can you still get a good mark without them?

btw, what is the course note shop at the Co-op bookshop?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
To get HDs I've found that you're going to have to show that you've done further reading, even more than the recommended stuff.

In terms of research:

Pass = You've used the bare essentials, reader, core texts, etc.
Credit = You've used the recommended readings or some other external sources.
Distinction/High Distinction = You've actually researched the topic well enough to craft a cohesive and well-informed essay.

NB. These are judgements based on Humanities based subjects, may differ with department. :)

maka

HSC
I advise people doing Business/Commerce/Economics/Law, that they buy the textbooks which are entitled as REQUIRED TEXTS and nothing more.

Usually in these subjects, the lecturers will ONLY use the set text as the required reading for the course. If readings are outside the set textbooks, either the readings will be online or as course notes (which you need to buy).

Many times the set texts will be used to set homework or class quizzes etc.

I personally agree with Asylum that the recommended reading helps achieve great marks.

However, if I were you I would get to know the Library as they have all the recommended readings. As these arent used as often, I would say dont buy them but use a copy of the book in the Library. You only will use them for specific areas rather than throughout the entire course.

maka

HSC
I would offer the following advice to Kevin Rudd's 2020 summit.

Allow students to put textbooks under HECS.

$1000 a year is so difficult for students. Need to work ages to make that

antisheep

HSC
maka said:
I would offer the following advice to Kevin Rudd's 2020 summit.

Allow students to put textbooks under HECS.

$1000 a year is so difficult for students. Need to work ages to make that

that's actually a really good idea... But i suppose it would put alot of extra strain on the gov't spending... an extra 1k per student pa... I shudder to think what the bill would be like.

maka

HSC
Effectively the payment would just be deferred until the completion of the uni degree.

The Government wouldnt contribute in the long term as you would charge 100% still for the books.

I think it is feasible.

Or at worst, make it able to be paid in instalments. Its too big a burden at the start of the semester. I will work 40 hours to pay off my textbooks.

Just penalises students.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
potentially $233 for my textbooks for ELEC141 and COMP247, but i got them for free of the net :)

maka

HSC
chocolate cookie......

If you want the books new, you buy from the Co op. The same with notes.

However, if you want them second had, you can buy off friends, people who put up flyers, textbook exchange sites

g_dob

HSC
hey eax would you wonna get my Criminal Laws Materials & Commentary On Criminal Law & Process In Nsw second hand for less $$$?

faintygirl83

HSC
N/A
If I buy my books brand new it will cost me about $497, which is an insane amount of money to spend.

I've been looking on textbookexchange, but the ISBN codes are different from the codes listed on the co-op website.

I'm not sure what to do :( .

K

katie_tully

I only had to buy one text book this semester and it was $32.00 <3
SI Chemical Data, it's a god send.

I bought an optional one, it was $84 thru the co-op but I noticed my local angus and robertson had it on sale for $60 so I was like HOORAH!

Jazzalyn

HSC
Ugh..

Yup. Books are v. expensive.

Communcating as Professionals ($71.95) - Mohan, McGreggor, Saunders & Archee

Calculus: Early Transcendentals Metric Ed ($113.95) - Stewart

Simple Program Design + A First BOok of C++ (package) ($148.45) - Robertson & Bronson

Systems Analysis and Design In A Changing World + CD ($103.45) - Satzinger

^_^.

And that's with the coop book card thing. Does anyone know where to get them cheaper elsewhere? Before 25th February this year. Preferably not with buying online.

xoxo
Jessi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)