• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Homosexuality in Australia (1 Viewer)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

Name_Taken

HSC
Ahh.. You seem to accept homosexuality there :sun:

It's okay, if you're in self denial.. (Not meant to be offensive)
...:haha: Maybe I am, but have you thought perhaps you're the one in denial? :p

Around a year ago, I was too..
I'm 14 now, so if you wanna talk just PM me or something..

That's pretty cool how you can pick up a religious belief like that.
Lol... Thanks but no thanks :S

And yes religion is a pretty cool thing ;)

Name_Taken

HSC
Firstly, the church alienates itself, because it is a static and regressive institution. The church can not blame society for progressing and beginning to recognise the value of a union of two people, regardless of gender.
Change is not always good. Are people any happier now than they were in ancient times? Yes we're a more free people, but does freedom necessarily equate to happiness? (Obviously there is a point where you can't be happy if your freedoms are restricted to such an extent, but its an interesting thing to think about).

Have laws such as those permitting homosexuality in the first place, or introducing the no fault divorce made anyone happier? Our suicide rate is constantly rising. The answer is not more freedoms, but more love, for God and one-another.

Legalising gay marriage would not serve to make people happier, thinking so would only demonstrate your ignorance of the principle of love.

A relationship based on self worship and physical lust has no value and should not be celebrated.

If the church wishes to be free from pressure to perform same-sex marriages, yet feels as though they will be "alienated" if the government legislates this protection for them, then this really just shows the transparency of this entire argument.

Essentially they are unwilling to compromise either way; they don't want same-sex marriages to be legal because they feel it will put pressure on them to validate or carry out same-sex wedding ceremonies. But if the government legally protects them from this issue ever occurring, they will just make up another unfounded, illogical excuse to cover for their bigotry.
And it is your view that the Church should bow down in the public eye, compromising to sin? The Church’s stance has always been against sin (hence the reason it is a static organisation, since sins havn't changed, despite how special people think they are) and it has no obligation, especially not because now sin seems all the rage, to change its views.

It will reach out and help anyone who is in need and who asks for it, but it will not tolerate unhealthy lifestyle choices and the proliferation of sexual perversions and should not have to.

People must understand that the Church is not like Government. You don’t elect Church ministers and they have no obligation to you to tell you what you want to hear and to let you do what you want.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I really can't help thinking that homosexuals spend too much time talking about sexual politics and why the Church hates us and how upsetting it all is.

I find that the Church has very little impact on my life overall, and any negative prejudice that i encounter from day to day (which is never very much) isn't directly a result of the existence of religion.

The best way to combat homophobia is encourage acceptance amongst every day people in their dealings with homosexuals, and opening up our own community to heteros. By trying achieve broader indifference or acceptance of homosexuality, the issue should stop becoming such a political hot potato and everyone won't kick up such a hoo-ha every time it comes up.

I think just being ourselves and confidently living by our rules is the best way to "fight for our rights". For those gays who really value marriage, for example, then sure go fight for it, but if you're not even that keen on marriage overall, why bother getting hung up over it? Do your own thing.

Omg this is so cliche and horrible but i just fell asleep now i've got that horrible dead felling you get after sleeping in the day time.

Name_Taken

HSC
Yes, but even though they frown upon your religion, they're not doing anything to impede on that.
I would disagree, you're asking me (and everything else) to accept something that is actually a sin and a perversion of sex, love and marriage be accepted in society and even promoted as ok, and natural. As I'm sure you would resent it if I started preaching to every gay person I ever met, I resent it when the homosexual community tries to tell me and everyone else to accept their lifestyle choices and promote them to the status of heterosexual marriage etc. (IDK maybe "resent" is too strong a word, but I can't think of something more appropriate).

Now sure, you being homosexual has no impact on my ability to practice my faith, and my practicing my faith has no impact on your ability to be homosexual. So as far as "the law" is concerned neither of us are doing anything wrong.

Now if in 200 years serial murder was promoted as a healthy alternative lifestyle, you would see why I would oppose it. Now obviously there are major differences between homosexuality and murder (consent etc), and I'm not trying to suggest you are anything like a murderer or w.e because you're not (I hope!:p).

But you see my point? According to the Bible they are both sins, and all sin is are as evil as each other, there is no such thing as a worse sin or a better sin, if you get what I'm saying. All sin should be opposed.

Last edited:

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Example A of my new "i don't care what you think" philosophy:

I would disagree, you're asking me (and everything else) to accept something that is actually a sin and a perversion of sex, love and marriage be accepted in society and even promoted as ok, and natural. As I'm sure you would resent it if I started preaching to every gay person I ever met, I resent it when the homosexual community tries to tell me and everyone else to accept their lifestyle choices and promote them to the status of heterosexual marriage etc. (IDK maybe "resent" is too strong a word, but I can't think of something more appropriate).

Now if in 200 years serial murder was promoted as a healthy alternative lifestyle, you would see why I would oppose it. Now obviously there are major differences between homosexuality and murder (consent etc), and I'm not trying to suggest you are anything like a murderer or w.e because you're not (I hope!:p).
Typical response: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA ROFLMAO lol .... go away.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Have laws such as those permitting homosexuality in the first place, or introducing the no fault divorce made anyone happier? Our suicide rate is constantly rising. The answer is not more freedoms, but more love, for God and one-another.

Legalising gay marriage would not serve to make people happier, thinking so would only demonstrate your ignorance of the principle of love.
Firstly, there's no quantitative way to measure happiness, so your point about freedom making people no more (or less) happier is moot. I didn't even bring up the issue of "happiness" as it is largely irrelevant to the issue at hand.

And are you seriously suggesting that no fault divorce has made people worse off? You have got to be joking. Can't you comprehend that without the legal protection of no fault divorce, there would be situations where children of a dysfunctional marriage would have to suffer through the situation, and it would be a lot harder for victims of domestic violence and marital rape to leave the relationship?

Or are you really that close-minded that you'd disagree/vote against a law that is contradictory to the Bible, regardless of the consequences that would occur in the absence of that law?

And your so-called "principle of love" is just your own subjective bigotry.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
I have a question for you Name_Taken:

If you were not religiously inclined, would you still have an opposition to homosexuality?
Would you still vote against same-sex marriages, etc?

I would just like to hear some of your secular and logical arguments on this issue, something that people that don't share your faith should be able to easily grasp and agree upon.

BlackDragon

HSC
This is what so many people do beliefs like this do, they align their position with statements like "murder is wrong" and think that if you argue against their beliefs then you are arguing in favour of murder.

For example:
Now if in 200 years serial murder was promoted as a healthy alternative lifestyle, you would see why I would oppose it. Now obviously there are major differences between homosexuality and murder (consent etc), and I'm not trying to suggest you are anything like a murderer or w.e because you're not (I hope!).
This position is ridiculous. Most people don't find murder wrong because of some ancient text, people find it wrong because it kills people. Homosexuality has nothing to do with murder and equating the two makes your arguments even worse.

But i'm sick of trying to talk sensibly with this nutjob. You don't have a very reasonable position, just references to some ancient text or mythical being. Plus you contradict yourself all the time and keep on stating whatever you can (regardless of what it is) to justify this silly ancient text.

Last edited:

philphie

Banned
HSC
no people for the win. just shutup and be concerned about living your own lives

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Hey, quick question, is overindulgence in alcohol a sin
Apparently...

Proverbs 23:20f: "Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Isaiah 5:11f: "Woe to those who rise early in the morning to run after their drinks, who stay up late at night till they are inflamed with wine. They have harps and lyres at their banquets, tambourines and flutes and wine, but they have no regard for the deeds of the LORD, no respect for the work of his hands."

Galatians 5:19–21: "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: ... drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God."

Ephesians 5:18: "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_in_the_Bible

yoddle

is cool
HSC
But you see my point? According to the Bible they are both sins, and all sin is are as evil as each other, there is no such thing as a worse sin or a better sin, if you get what I'm saying. All sin should be opposed.
(Sorry if this reads like a dogs breakfast, I've got this hangover from last night lol, just woke up :p).
Apparently...

Proverbs 23:20f: "Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Isaiah 5:11f: "Woe to those who rise early in the morning to run after their drinks, who stay up late at night till they are inflamed with wine. They have harps and lyres at their banquets, tambourines and flutes and wine, but they have no regard for the deeds of the LORD, no respect for the work of his hands."

Galatians 5:19–21: "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: ... drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God."

Ephesians 5:18: "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit."

Alcohol in the Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
HA! Caught red-handed sinning! Godz gunna be so devo.

Name_Taken

HSC
I have a question for you Name_Taken:

If you were not religiously inclined, would you still have an opposition to homosexuality?
Would you still vote against same-sex marriages, etc?

I would just like to hear some of your secular and logical arguments on this issue, something that people that don't share your faith should be able to easily grasp and agree upon.
I admit that much of the case against homosexuality has a religious slant.

If I were not religous, there would still be arguements against homosexuality (public health for one, among others; it not being natural, many people still find it a sensitive issue regardless of religion etc).

To be perfectly honest, I would almost definitely still vote against gay marriage, and gay adoption, but would take a more indifferent approach to the entire affair. Either way, if gay marriage were instigated tomorrow, I would not take to the streets in protest - even being religiously inclined to disagree with it.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
I admit that much of the case against homosexuality has a religious slant.

If I were not religous, there would still be arguements against homosexuality (public health for one, among others; it not being natural, many people still find it a sensitive issue regardless of religion etc).

To be perfectly honest, I would almost definitely still vote against gay marriage, and gay adoption, but would take a more indifferent approach to the entire affair. Either way, if gay marriage were instigated tomorrow, I would not take to the streets in protest - even being religiously inclined to disagree with it.
do you believe that women should be forced to marry their rapists?

yes/no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)