Home Schooling (1 Viewer)

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
im seriously thinking about seeing if i can do this.
im only doing three subjects this year, and at my school, there is only four periods a day, so most days, im only at school for about an hour and half everyday, which can get really annoying.
and also, the school i go to they are starting a new program this year where they get the emails of all the students, and email them the work they missed out on from all their subjects if they were away sick.
also because i have insomnia and a very fucked up sleeping pattern, i think it would be easier for me if i were to do that, and if i have any full days at schoo, just go for that.
i got work for the holidays as i missed out on heaps last erm, and i have caught up all that, and done some extra work aswell. like, i can work easy on my own, and its in a comfy environment and im not under pressure in a class full of noisy students who talk all lesson and distract my learning times.

any comments?

banana_monkey

Better than you
HSC
Sure, I've got a comment to add.

There's an absolute nutball at my work who does homeschool. He talks to walls and likes to break things and deny doing it. He also happens to spend no less than 45 minutes in the toilet each time he goes. Most of the food he cooks burns because of this. Yes kids, homeschool really does raise socially retarded children.

In your case though, since you aren't socially retarded from years of home school, it might be beneficial. However, I think it might be a bit hard to stay motivated without being at school. Besides, you'd be making a change during your last year, which means if it goes pear shaped you'd be screwed. I'd say just sit through another year. It won't be that hard.

Oh, and before anyone else says it, I can help you with your sleeping problem. ROFL, KTHNXBAI, ASL@^$$&?. Please, kill me.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
banana_monkey said:
Oh, and before anyone else says it, I can help you with your sleeping problem. ROFL, KTHNXBAI, ASL@^$$&?. Please, kill me.
should i be scared, disturbed, or turned on?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
hm...my mum threatened to make me do home schooling because i kept wagging school
so i stopped
personally i couldnt do it
but maybe you can..depends on your personality
how well you can work alone
how well you can handle being without people like school friends and teachers and in the whole school enironment
how well you can stay motivated etc

me..not very well at all
but it might suit you and your situation quite well

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
well, i moved school to do my second half of year 12.

but because of my kideny condition and depression, ive often gotten heaps of work from school sand done it at home/hospital, and i find it more easier to do, as i get distracted easily.
when im in a class full of other students, i get distracted and dont do my work. when im at home doing school work, i can get it done easy and in a fairly quick rate, instead of procrastinating over it and talking to other people.

which is a reason why i really want to do this.

banana_monkey

Better than you
HSC
mmm_sofay said:
should i be scared, disturbed, or turned on?
I'd say all three.

And Damnation, it's latter, not later.

KTHNXBAI ^____________________^

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
soha said:
if you think you can and your ready etc..why not
how does ur family feel about it
i havent taken it up with my mum yet.
its my decision, im nearly 18, so its my choice.
im going to talk about it to the deputy principle when i go back to school, then tell my mummy.

Jaydels

HSC
my younger sisters are home schooled and i was seriously considering it at one stage. it sounds like it would be good for for you as long as you're disciplined and will actually do all the work properly.

CrashOveride

HSC
Home schooling is much better than going to any school as long as you are motivated.
I wish i knew about it before doing my HSC, because i would have done it.

Out of curiosity, where did you find info about it?
Because on the Board of studies site - there really isn't anything about it except for some reports and other irrelevant stuff.

sirius_g

HSC
Hey,

You can't do your HSC by home schooling - I know because my sister was homed schooled till Yr 10 - and after that she was toild she had to go to a High School or do it through correspondence eg Open High School.

If you want any information there's some home schooling kit available through search on the board of studies website.

Home Schooling isn't as easy as it sounds ( your parents have to plan every single lesson) - and correspondence would most probably be better.

Sirius.

7th Sign

HSC
just send a letter to bob carr oor who ever the knt is that runs schooling in nsw tell him your story....make up some bs......they might let you do it.....

OS

Banned
HSC
mmm_sofay said:
im only doing three subjects this year, and at my school, there is only four periods a day, so most days, im only at school for about an hour and half everyday, which can get really annoying.
and also, the school i go to they are starting a new program this year where they get the emails of all the students, and email them the work they missed out on from all their subjects if they were away sick.
also because i have insomnia and a very fucked up sleeping pattern, i think it would be easier for me if i were to do that, and if i have any full days at schoo, just go for that.
i got work for the holidays as i missed out on heaps last erm, and i have caught up all that, and done some extra work aswell. like, i can work easy on my own, and its in a comfy environment and im not under pressure in a class full of noisy students who talk all lesson and distract my learning times.

any comments?
Hey mmm_sofay, you're a Pathways student, right? I know by my own experience as one that it is hard spending another year (or more) at school - and still in Year 12 (except doing different subjects). I have wanted to just quit it and walk away without a full HSC rather than be stuck at school for what feels like eternity but if I want to get anywhere in life I have to stick it out.... plus I have a problems too which leave me not always feeling on top of the world..... but home schooling for the remainder of Year 12 is not something I've considered..... not that it's a bad idea! My brother has been homeschooled since kindy but apparently he must start school before Year 10 if he wants a School Certificate (so he can be officially assessed towards this etc.). I don't know you can in fact do the SC/HSC at home though if you're already in a school and they can organise your work for you so that you meet all syllubus and assessment requirements etc. It is worth finding out if your school is willing too and you feel you will have enough structure/motivation at home... Otherwise, I sympathise with you fully.... but even if it takes a loooooong time Pathways and being ''stuck'' at school is not 4ver (I know feeling like a loner without your '04 cohort can suck, too). Best of luck! :)

alien

HSC
i think you have to do SATs through homeschooling, it would be better to do it through the open high school if you really want to work at home

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
what i heard from my legal studies teacher last year wehn i was getting work to take home for the holidays, is that they are going to get every ones emails and send them work if they are away (i think i may have already said this)
but my teachers know whats worng with me and everything. all i have to do is talk to them about it and hopefully they agree with what i plan to do.
like, i will go to school for exams and the trials and half yearlys and the hsc, i just dont feel like going to school with people who i dont know, who dont know anything about me or my depression. yeah, sure, im telling people about it on the interent, but thats not hard. telling people face to face is different. it took me about 3months to tell my closest friend when i was first diagnosed with depsression, and just telling people who i dont even know, why im not always at school, is a bit hard for me.
so just doing work at home, in my own time, and without other people questioning me, i feel, would be the easiest thing for me to do.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
mmm_sofay said:

any comments?
I haven't read your message, however, I will comment that generally, home schooled children turn out adademically and emotionally (thus socially) more able than those who attend school.

This is not a rule, obviously. When people say their school is good academically, they don't mean every student excels, but that compared to other schools, that school is better. The same applies to homeschooling. You have people who don't teach any science or maths, or don't teach any english, or teach religion and dancing and nothing else, et cetera. But hell, even here usually the students turn out better than the dregs of normal schools.

This may interest you, and it dispells common myths and misconception, especially the ones about inferior social and/or intellectual development: http://alum.mit.edu/ne/whatmatters/200407/index.html

Another site which systematically dispells objections and concerns: http://www.naturalchild.com/common_objections/index.html

Oh, and finally, the HSC is only available to students attending some sort of schooling which is not "home Education", as the NSW department calls it.

Universities readily accept home schooled children. Even in your case (at your age), if you perform sufficiently well on the required tests or look into other entry methods, it is likely you'll be accepted.

davo_

good kid
HSC
Slide Rule said:
I will comment that generally, home schooled children turn out adademically and emotionally (thus socially) more able than those who attend school.
perhaps the former is true (however i wonder if there is any stats to back it up), but i really don't see how a home schooled student could be emotionally (and as you say "thus socially") more able. Home schooling eliminates almost any social interaction, so how is it possible that home schooled person could have greater social skills..? obviously, as you say, each case would be unique.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)