Home Schooling (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
DaddyK said:
Has any one noticed there are alot of flaws in education systems these days? god it sucks.
Yes I have, as have many experts in the filed (researchers and teachers alike). The system is more than 3,000 years old though - it is based on the Greek Academies. The problems with it are obvious simply by comparing Greek society to modern day society. Changes are required.

That is why I have looked into home schooling. People would see it is a viable contender if they merely stopped being so prejudice and did some research on it.

Jaydels

HSC
CrashOveride said:
Ok so it seems home schooling is not possible for years 10 and up. All my research seems to indicate this, so if anyone says otherwise, please raise your voice.
well yes and no...since the legal ages for attending school are 6-15, the board of studies won't grant you a home schooling certificate once you turn 15. But this means that you can leave school anyway and do it at home if you want.

CrashOveride said:
So am i correct in saying that if you are a sane and healthy person, the only way to do the HSC is basically at school or via TAFE? There is no home option here?
If you want to do the HSC, you have to do it either through school or TAFE. I think it is possible to do home schooling but do the HSC through a school if you find a school that is willing to let you do it

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Jaydels said:
well yes and no...since the legal ages for attending school are 6-15, the board of studies won't grant you a home schooling certificate once you turn 15. But this means that you can leave school anyway and do it at home if you want.
Correct. Many home schoolers by age 16 or so are either at uni or in a job already.

Jaydels

HSC
Slide Rule said:
Correct. Many home schoolers by age 16 or so are either at uni or in a job already.
that's true...people who have been home schooled all their lives are generally much smarter than the rest of us

CrashOveride

HSC
Jaydels said:

If you want to do the HSC, you have to do it either through school or TAFE. I think it is possible to do home schooling but do the HSC through a school if you find a school that is willing to let you do it
I guess this is where your "yes and no" applies?
Basically what you are saying is the only legit way to do some sort of homeschooling would be to negotiate it with the school?

Also, does anyone know how it works if one wished to re-enroll at a highschool even though the first term of year 12 (last year) has passed? Would this student be just given the same exams to sit the next day or is it possible to get some sort of waiver, an increase to the value of the final exam perhaps ?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
CrashOveride said:
I guess this is where your "yes and no" applies?
Basically what you are saying is the only legit way to do some sort of homeschooling would be to negotiate it with the school?
The only legitimate way to do the HSC is through an officially recognised school.

But if you can work out some kind of deal with a school so that you either don't really do your work at school, then this would be unofficially home schooling yourself.

Remember that most scholarships are void if you've already completed the HSC once, Crash... :p

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I know this guy who was home schooled from yr7 to 10 and then he came to my school in yr11 and 12 and he got 99.35. My SAC teacher always goes on about him because apparently he was like the only independent leaner he's ever taught in his life. Unlike us who just are route leaners with no real mind of our own.

eshi

shy
HSC
A friend of mine did the HSC by correspondence and did well. I think that if you're motivated enough and are good at learning individually then why not? It'd make a nice change after so many years at school...you can learn on your own terms and it can also give you more room for other things. That's the reason that my friend ended up doing the HSC this way...her job meant that she had to travel a lot and she didn't want to miss out on doing the HSC. Besides which if you're doing your HSC then your social skills etc will have been formed by now (duh) so there isn't that worry to deal with. :) Not sure if this helps though since school has already started... :confused:

sladehk

le random
HSC
Home schooling maybe better for your academic results but your social skills will be flat

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Crash: Oh? You mean most scholarships are available to non-school leavers? I beg to differ, but you can certainly elaborate on your response first. :p

sladehk said:
Home schooling maybe better for your academic results but your social skills will be flat
You'll see that this has already been covered and rebuked.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
CrashOveride said:
Slide: Yeah, i emailed usyd and unsw =p
So why does it say on all the application forms "must be a school-leaver"? :p

Rory

HSC
It depends on how you learn and how motivated you really are.
I did the HSC (Years 11 and 12) by home schooling through OTEN and I enjoyed it and was good at it, but didn't do me any favours for the HSC or my UAI rofl.
If you think you can keep yourself motivated enough and learn better independently (eg. You can read material and pick the important bits out of it, analyse it etc) then go for it.
The experience of learning by yourself is really nice; you find out you develop better academical iniative and discipline and if you plan on going to University afterwards, the teachers/professors really seem to like knowing that you wont need to be spoon fed all your information straight away as a lot of 'regular schooled' people tend to.
Give it a shot anyway, if you don't like it you can always negotiate a way back into your old school :)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
CrashOveride said:
If you do it via some distance eduction...that still counts as a school leaver slide rule =p
Not if you've accepted a UAC place - i.e. commenced tertiary study. Null and void.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Why should I provide sources? I'm not arguing with you. Further, I'm only telling you what I read in their scholarship booklet they sent me. You can't exactly link to a book. :rolleyes:

But I think you're being foolish to repeat the HSC for money, especially given you received 99.10. Your life isn't infinite. You've got a small number of years left on this planet and you're going to just throw one of them away for something which you can get plenty of later, faster?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)