Holidays in uni? (1 Viewer)

iLazy

HSC
Uni Grad
Was just wondering how long are our breaks in uni? And I heard you start completely new subjects every semester so subjects from the previous semester don't really overlap and stuff? I'm pretty clueless on anything uni related. But back to the main question, how long are holidays in uni? I'm asking because I want to go overseas next year between Jun and August (around there) and was wondering if we have any break during that time (since it's winter here and everything).

enoilgam

HSC
Was just wondering how long are our breaks in uni? And I heard you start completely new subjects every semester so subjects from the previous semester don't really overlap and stuff? I'm pretty clueless on anything uni related. But back to the main question, how long are holidays in uni? I'm asking because I want to go overseas next year between Jun and August (around there) and was wondering if we have any break during that time (since it's winter here and everything).
Generally speaking, you do new subjects each semester. The breaks vary from uni to uni, but the break at the end of the year is from mid-late november till the begining of march. The semester 1 - 2 break is usually around 5 weeks (3 for UNSW I think) and go from mid-late june to august.

izzy88

HSC
Generally, you get most of july on holidays (4 weeks - perhaps longer if you don't have any exams).

Over christmas you get from around end of november (21 november) to about end of february/beginning of March.

However this is dependent on the university - ANU has slightly different holidays, as do uni's such as UNE etc (ie. a couple of weeks difference). Some uni's also don't have a two semesters a year and are opting for 3 semesters, with one over the longer summer break.

As to whether subjects build on each other, that really depends on what you are doing. For example, most of my ancient history units are relatively self-contained, and don't assume factual knowledge from other courses (apart from general skills gained through essay writing/interpreting the past etc). However subjects like Maths, Science and languages can definitely require actual knowledge from previous subjects. Same with law (depending on the subject - one of my subjects is assessing information learnt in a subject last semester in my exam as it is very much the foundation of the course).

edit: if you know which university you would like to attend next year, the semester dates are probably already on their website.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
UNSW's academic calendar if you care:

https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/resources/AcademicCalendar.html

To read it, basically only look at Teaching Period (One (T1) in Semester 1, Two (T2) for Semester 2), then Mid-Sem Break (to know how long it goes for) and then Study Period and then Examinations to know how long tests and things go for

basically between the end of second semester and the start of the next first semester is 3-4 months

mizzroyalty

HSC
N/A
Hey iLazy, I am currently studying at UNSW and thought it will be important to tell you that essentially there are no 'school holidays' - just just 2 straight terms followed by a small break, then another two combined terms followed by a 3.5 - 4 month break. The lack of 'mid term breaks' is due to the fact that University for most courses only consume 10-25 hours of your week (exclusive of traveling) as oppose to the 30 hours at school.

gsweeper

HSC
My mid year break was just under 7 weeks this year, and my mid semester break is aprox 18 days, about the same as first semester, then you get like 3-4 months off at the end of the year.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Mid-semester breaks aren't always true holidays - they can and do set assignments over them, so be prepared to work throughout those couple of weeks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)