• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Holiday Study Habits (1 Viewer)

90atar

HSC
Currently, I have sort of been working a couple of hours a day at about half the rate I would usually be working during the school year (3 hours a night).

Mostly so far I have been just working through getting History Extension sorted out but I feel as if I am not doing enough, but I can't seem to get motivated enough to do stuff.

How much should I be studying (reasonably) during these holidays? per day?

At the moment, I have planed to start 2-3 hour days with 1 day a week that I really put the foot down, Thoughts?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
During these summer holidays, I'd say 1 hour per day is enough. Give yourself a break if you feel unmotivated - perhaps a week or two.

HSC
You need 7+ hours everyday.

Kidding.

Do as much as YOU feel content with! That's all there is to it.

binladin

HSC
Try not to set hour goals cos u will end up wasting time/ working at a slower rate.
Write a daily or weekly checklist of what u need to do and check them off as you do each task.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Just remember you have only covered about a quarter of the HSC so there is a limit to how much you can study.

Make sure you relax and study at your own pace. Doing your History Extension is a good way to spend the time I suppose, considering any procrastination will cause hassles when the workload gets a bit heavier.

90atar

HSC
Try not to set hour goals cos u will end up wasting time/ working at a slower rate.
Write a daily or weekly checklist of what u need to do and check them off as you do each task.
Cheers, yeah I have adopted a "list" approach and thrown out my "hour blocks" approach and now, looking already at what I have ticked off, it looks great!

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Cheers, yeah I have adopted a "list" approach and thrown out my "hour blocks" approach and now, looking already at what I have ticked off, it looks great!
Good stuff! During uni semesters, I've found that this is a much more effective approach than pledging to split my time between different things. You'll do well under that regime.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I too utilised this 'list' approach. It is indeed much more effect than just having '1 hour for maths, 1 hour for english' etc.

What if you're feeling unproductive, and 1 hour of maths won't get through much? What if you're feeling EXTRA productive? Then you will finish your exercise very quickly, and not have much less, then get deterred by the fact that you were being productive because the reward from that... is more work (Since for example, you finished ur exercise in 20 minutes as opposed to the 1 hour you set).

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
list definitely beats hours. I tried using a timetable..it just failed. Anyway, it makes you feel good when you cross stuff off the list :D

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
When I was in high school, my mother kept bugging me and telling me to utilise a timetabled study system but I never complied because I knew it wouldn't work.

Good on the people who find that method easier, but I for the life of me would fail extremely quickly.

90atar

HSC
First day, Smashed it!

After ditching the hour block system I am actually seeing that I am doing work not just filling in time!

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
First day, Smashed it!

After ditching the hour block system I am actually seeing that I am doing work not just filling in time!
And never look back.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
That's great.

Using the hour method also does not mean you get a productive amount of work done in say, 2 hours. It may take you longer or even less depending on the task. Saying one studies 5 hours, etc, can mean that during that time it does not necessarily mean one got a lot done.

loaves

HSC
TBH getting Hist Ext sorted out is one of the best things to do over holidays/Term 1...saves you from having to do your whole major work 24 hours before it's due, which isn't really a lot of fun.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
The key is working consistently. Do a little everyday and it'll all add up.

Way better than working "too much" in the last couple of weeks and burning out.

Procrastinati0n

HSC
Currently, I have sort of been working a couple of hours a day at about half the rate I would usually be working during the school year (3 hours a night).

Mostly so far I have been just working through getting History Extension sorted out but I feel as if I am not doing enough, but I can't seem to get motivated enough to do stuff.

How much should I be studying (reasonably) during these holidays? per day?

At the moment, I have planed to start 2-3 hour days with 1 day a week that I really put the foot down, Thoughts?
The amount of hours depends on the subjects that you do and how slow/fast you can get through the materials.
What you are doing is fine, I'm aiming for 5 hours a day and a one week break out of the 6 weeks these holidays of pure fun :party: and this is coming from a person with 0 hours of study in Year 11.
Instead of counting hours, just make a list of what you need to get through and don't neglect your other subjects!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)