History Extension? What is it? (1 Viewer)

SabrinaSchool

HSC
N/A

Hello Everyone,
I was wondering if someone can explain to me what history extension is? :D:D:D

Is it ancient and modern history put together into 1 unit?

I know it's about historians but I am considering doing in and just wondering what I would be in for ha ha.

I am currently in year 11 doing modern history and it's alright.

Thanks

deloving

HSC
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/history-extension-st6-syl-from2010.pdf

Explains it all. But basically... :

History extension deals with historiography - methodology & identity of historians, changing interpretation of history, how has history been constructed over time... Your Case Study is a topic area from the Ancient, Medieval, Australian, or Modern periods. Basically, you study that topic with historiography in mind. The rest of the course comes down to your project. To quote directly from the syllabys, it is an "opportunity for students to design and conduct an investigation in an area of chaning historical interpretation." You choose an area (could be almost anything) and write a 2500 word essay about it. You have about 8 months to complete that or something, and it's all done outside of class (it's strictly individual work) with some help from your teachers.

buriza

conviction
HSC
Essentially, History Extension is split into two parts:

1. What is History?
In this part, you will first learn about various historians who have existed over the course of time and you will be able to select which ones you discuss in your examination. You will also learn about a particular area of study in history, such as how historians have perceived John F. Kennedy. Once again, you will be able to select which historians you select, as well as two debates relevant to said particular area of study. For example, in terms of John F. Kennedy, you can discuss the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Indochina War.

2. History Project
In this part, you will choose your own area of study in history that interests you, whether it is a personality or an event. You will virtually be able to do anything you like and you will have many months in order to complete a 2500-word essay. In doing so, you will indicate your progress in a logbook, where you note down each week or so what you have found about your area of study. This helps you keep on task with the historians and sources you use to discuss your area of study. I know this might sound a little heavy right now, but you are really guided through the process with the help of your teachers and they will even mark many drafts of the essay for you!

Just remember, as the individual above me has said, History Extension is more about how personalities or events have been perceived rather than what actually occurred.

deloving

HSC
I'd just like to add I strongly suggest you pick it up and give it a go. It's a different kind of subject and you really need to experience it for yourself.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It is important to keep in mind that if you do choose extension history, you will need to spend the duration of the HSC year to complete a major work to hand in.

D94

HSC
N/A
It is important to keep in mind that if you do choose extension history, you will need to spend the duration of the HSC year to complete a major work to hand in.
It's not actually a 'major work' like in VA or CAFS etc. It's a heavily weighted assessment task, and more emphasis should be on the student's ability to quickly analyse texts, form opinions and draw from historiography to write effective essays in the HSC exam. Yes, a fair bit of time will be spent on the history project, but being good at research and writing essays over 6 months isn't as important as being able to write good essays in 2 hours.

When I did it, the HSC exam was quite polarising to the performance in the history project. Those who got close to 100% in the project didn't do as well in the HSC exam, and those who did mediocre did far better in the HSC exam.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
It's not actually a 'major work' like in VA or CAFS etc. It's a heavily weighted assessment task, and more emphasis should be on the student's ability to quickly analyse texts, form opinions and draw from historiography to write effective essays in the HSC exam. Yes, a fair bit of time will be spent on the history project, but being good at research and writing essays over 6 months isn't as important as being able to write good essays in 2 hours.

When I did it, the HSC exam was quite polarising to the performance in the history project. Those who got close to 100% in the project didn't do as well in the HSC exam, and those who did mediocre did far better in the HSC exam.
Wow D94; you did hisExt and now you're doing mechanical engineering. You seem like a well rounded person ;)

Reactions: D94

D94

HSC
N/A
Wow D94; you did hisExt and now you're doing mechanical engineering. You seem like a well rounded person ;)
Maybe, but I'm sure there are plenty of seemingly polarising things that you are interested in as well. But thanks haha :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)