History Extension 2008 (1 Viewer)

Allan vB

HSC
Perhaps the purposes of writing history...

What do you think?

Miffstaa

HSC
yeah we had the purposes for writing history in our trials since thats what our teacher predicted..but who knows :S

PeterRickards

HSC
i have a feeling it will be on the construction of history.

but then again...no matter what the question is they are all the same in essence.

HSC
metholody maybe?

btw when they say "engage with quote/source" how many times should it be referenced in a paragraph?

annacogs

HSC
probably rather shoot myself than do the exam
that's as far as my thoughts go on this subject

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Our teacher told us its paramount... it should form the conceptual framework of your argument. Each paragraph deals with a theme or issue of the source, and a certain historian(s) are used to back it up.

I wouldn't mind a po-mo source :D

Kimia2409

HSC
i'll kill myself if it's a postmodernism source. KILL MYSELF. purposes or methodology PLEASE

csalvo

HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
metholody maybe?

btw when they say "engage with quote/source" how many times should it be referenced in a paragraph?
What I do is make a point raised in the source and refer to it implicitly and then in the last sentence of the paragraph link it by saying something along the lines of 'XXXX, therefore, raises the point of XXXX that is discussed in the source by ____'

I have a major problem in Section I. How many historians do you recommend on learning well? In the past, I only learnt two (Herodotus and von Ranke), but I'm thinking that I'll be screwed if it ends up being a question on something totally unrelatable.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
csalvo said:
What I do is make a point raised in the source and refer to it implicitly and then in the last sentence of the paragraph link it by saying something along the lines of 'XXXX, therefore, raises the point of XXXX that is discussed in the source by ____'

I have a major problem in Section I. How many historians do you recommend on learning well? In the past, I only learnt two (Herodotus and von Ranke), but I'm thinking that I'll be screwed if it ends up being a question on something totally unrelatable.
Yup thats what I do, you have to make a judgement on the source and your historians are based on the concepts of the source itself.

I'm learning 4 well - Jenkins, Elton, von Ranke and Thucydides, with bare/scant mentions to other historians like Herodotus, Marc Bloch, Carr, Hobsbawn, White etc etc.

csalvo

HSC
Kujah said:
Yup thats what I do, you have to make a judgement on the source and your historians are based on the concepts of the source itself.

I'm learning 4 well - Jenkins, Elton, von Ranke and Thucydides, with bare/scant mentions to other historians like Herodotus, Marc Bloch, Carr, Hobsbawn, White etc etc.
Okay, thanks.

I think I might learn Karl Marx (since I already know a little on him) and maybe Carr and those other related ones.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Lizzy for me. Iunno, would Marx classify as a true 'historian'?

csalvo

HSC
Kujah said:
Ahh, okay.

And I see what you mean, but isn't he tied up with all that Annales stuff?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
The Annales school used a total history style- rather than focus on political and military history, we can look at other factors such as sociology, geography, anthropology etc etc. You've historians like Bloch, Braudel, Le Roy etc etc... It only started to flourish in the early 20th century.

On the other hand, you've got Marxism and the 'class' struggle. And how economic factors and this struggle drives history. Marxist historians include Christopher Hill, Eric Hobsbawm*.

Last edited:

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
I would cream myself, my MW was on post modernism.

I have a bank of historians, write their details and shit under the 5 key questions, and then practise papers x 1035658879690689045667

For JFK, same sort of thing.

Engage with the source instantly is my way of starting strong

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Kujah said:
Marx himself said he wasnt a Historian
So to me, no.
More a social/political theorist which scantilly places him under Annales.

eb590

HSC
brad616 said:
What are your thoughts on this years History Extension exam??
i think for the first section it might be changing interpretations or approaches towards history or historiography - hope so, i'd love something along those lines, i had it for my trial. anyone got any thoughts for the case study? hopefully only one or two debates, but what about the question?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
If you want a Marxist historian, use Christopher Hill or Eric Hobsbawm or E.P Thompson.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)