High atar achievers, a question for you guys. (1 Viewer)

amourpenelope

HSC
N/A
So during the beginning of year 12, did you guys ever fail or 'do ok' in an assessment.
Do the assessment marks affect your atar greatly? :S

So far weighing of assessments have been around 15-20%

Thanks in advance.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is that, I've done 'ok' in some of my assessments so far, not the wonderful pass. Will this affect my atar?

Last edited:

stevey6404

HSC
Depends on the weighting of the assessment and how your rank has changed according to it.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
I was failing English throughout the whole year (fucked up 15% creative at the beginning and got 6/15 in belonging unseen texts)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
So during the beginning of year 12, did you guys ever fail or 'do ok' in an assessment.
Do the assessment marks affect your atar greatly? :S

So far weighing of assessments have been around 15-20%

Thanks in advance.
Not really. I got 67% for a 20% (half yearly) in history and still ended up with 97 final.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol. Got 45 in my trial for mx2, got even worse in HSC.
Got 60s for my first two English tests. Got =1st in HSC exam.
Got low 70s in all chem. Got 91 in HSC (being 5 higher than second)
/angry

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Uhh, no, not really. High ATAR achievers mostly take the high ranks and stay there for the whole year.

michaeljennings

HSC
I know a guy who had an assessment mark of 94 and an exam mark of 77 for particular subject. Hes applying for that results check or whatever but yeah its good to have a good rank at your school just incase you bomb the HSC exam

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Uhh, no, not really. High ATAR achievers mostly take the high ranks and stay there for the whole year.
Read my sig.

@OP. None of my marks were ever amazing...I was never in the top 20% (apart from Eco) in any subject @ my school. However, I never was below average for an assessment (apart from my 169th/210 in the English Trial).

enoilgam

HSC
You will find that most high achievers will have done so-so (ranking wise) in one or two of their early assessments. The first few assessments hold little weight, so it is easy to come back from them. Also, I noticed that when I did the HSC, the biggest changes in rankings came around trial time - some people came out of nowhere whilst others collapsed. With legal studies for me, I had done poorly in my first three assessments but I managed to do well in my trial, so I went from 6th to 2nd.

Ideally, you dont want to be stuffing up your first assessments, but if it does happen, it can be rectified. You definitely dont want to be stuffing up come trial time or final exams time (obviously) .

zhiying

HSC
I was failing English throughout the whole year (fucked up 15% creative at the beginning and got 6/15 in belonging unseen texts)
Blah blah blah qq more Apollo :) I did just as bad as you until trials lol 15/15 unseen texts come at me LOL

Official

Bring it on
HSC
depends on the school

if at a highly competitive school, this actually is very untrue, as a lot of high achievers that i know of did not really do well from the start

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Came 1st in 3 subjects from the start of year 11 and this pattern continued right through to year 12.

Dylanamali

HSC
Came 1st in 3 subjects from the start of year 11 and this pattern continued right through to year 12.
flunked year 11.. enjoyed it and had fun.
came into year 12 with a diff mindset: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
flunked year 11.. enjoyed it and had fun.
came into year 12 with a diff mindset: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd
Nice ranks. I was naturally talented at those subjects and enjoyed them very much, so it was a pleasure studying them in my HSC years. Always looked forward to all 3 of them on my timetable. and the good thing was that every day I would have at least 1 of these subjects :) some days I would have all 3 subjects in a row :D epic days.

minzoir

HSC
Yes, i fudged up big time in English on the 1st assessment task. Got 12/20 when most people were 15+ put me at a rank of 33/40 and spent the rest of the year working my ass off to climb back up. Managed to get back up to 12th.
I guess if you start working hard earlier on you gain an advantage over the other less motivated students and you won't have to struggle for the rest of the year. Good luck ! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)