Help with university course (1 Viewer)

MARK2014

HSC
Hi Guys :)

So i just got my ATAR of 97.85 and was wondering if i could get your opinion on what course i should aim to do in university. I got my eyes set on either the Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Science double degree at UNSW or Bachelor of Engineering/ Bachelor of Commerce double degree at UNSW, in which my ATAR allows me to get into both easily.

I wanted to ask for your opinion on which one you believe is the better degree in terms of job prospects in the near future (say 5-6 years), and if you or someone you know does one of those degrees what they think about it.

The reason i got my eyes on both of these degrees is that i want to something involving commerce however i also enjoy the engineering aspect accompanied with the Bachelor of Engineering/Commerce double degree. However people have told me that the degree is basically pointless as the two are not related to each other and so there is no point doing it as if i get into an Engineering job the commerce part of the degree would be wasted and i would waste an extra 1 and a half years in university for no reason. And that is why i also set my eyes on the Bachelor of Commerce/ Science double degree as i have read in forums that the science aspect of the degree aids in the critical thinking required for a good commerce student.

However all i said above have been just what i have read on forums and heard from peers so i want to get your guy's opinions on this matter.

Confound

HSC
comm/eng. It's not a waste if you enjoyed it

EDIT: I'm kidding, it could potentially be a waste but that's just my opinion lol

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Comm/Eng is a better combo in the real world, compared to Comm/Sci without a doubt.

D94

HSC
N/A
In Com/Sci, Commerce is the main degree. In Eng/Com, Engineering is the main degree. What are you actually interested in?

MARK2014

HSC
I'm more interested in the Engi/Com degree more than the Com/Sci degree, however as people have informed me that the Engi/Com degree is a waste as the two are not related to each other in the slightest i wasn't sure if it was a good idea choosing the degree.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely do Engg/Comm.

It's more highly regarded (or maybe the more accurate phrase would be well known, but either way it's better than the Comm/Sci degree). But more importantly, if you're more interested in Engg/Comm then that's the main reason to do it. Also as OzKo said, Engg/Comm is a better combo in the real world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)