• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

help with linux bash terminal commands!! (1 Viewer)

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
hey folks

Had a question regarding unix commands. I want to store a calendar produced by the "cal" command in the file "calendar" with no modifications to the output of the "cal" command.

I do this cal > calendar , and linuxgym says that the file does not have correct contents

How can I do this?

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
id assume that cal = calculator. im a complete noob when it comes to linux bash terminal though.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Really?

cal > calendar works fine for me. Ubuntu 5.04.

Perhaps make sure you have permission to create a file in the directory. Trying cd'ing to your home directory or something then trying. Alternatively, try creating the file 'calendar', then running the command.

This isn't Windows and generally it shouldn't matter whether you call it calendar or calendar.txt.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
samuraitor said:
hey folks

Had a question regarding unix commands. I want to store a calendar produced by the "cal" command in the file "calendar" with no modifications to the output of the "cal" command.

I do this cal > calendar , and linuxgym says that the file does not have correct contents

How can I do this?
That particular linuxgym exercise asks you to store the calendar for the year, not the month. Try cal -y > calendar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)