Help with a chemistry question pleaseee (1 Viewer)

fh1993

HSC
hey guys i needed help with this question, hope you's can help me out.. ty

The teacher supplied a student with a solid mixture of iron(III) chloride hexahydrate, nickel shavings, calcium phosphide and HD polythylene pieces (0.5cm x 0.5cm). The aim was to separate the mixture into its components (with hexahydrated iron (III) chloride still mixed with one component) using physical separation techniques.
The student was then asked to devise and perform a further experiment in the hydrated iron (III) chloride mixture in order to determin the percentage of all components in the original mixture.

questions:
1. Write a method on how this can be carried out in a school laboratory
2. justify the steps and experiments you would use to perform the various experiments.

thanks

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
Weight the mixture first, then run it through a sieve or something to get rid of the polyethylene pieces, as they're bigger than everything else. You should be able to use magnetism to separate the nickel shavings. Erm, assuming calcium phosphide is insoluble [calcium phosphate is, is that what you meant? =\], add water to the mixture in a beaker and stir until as much dissolves as possible; pour through filter paper which leaves an iron chloride solution. Heat this until the water evaporates off, cool and weigh everything. The difference between the sum of the components you weighed and the original weight was water.

I think that's it..

chamath123

HSC
just wondering, since the Iron (III) chloride hexahydrate is crysytal, if u put in a test tube and heat it, wouldn't the water start to evaportate, then using another set up, could u catch the condensed water and then measure the amount of water and iron chloride?

please reply, thanks a million guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)