Help Needed!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
I need to collect a media file for Legal Studies, and i have a feeling i am not doing it right. The assignment requires us to collect 5 articles on each topic

- Law and Society
- Consumer Law
- Family Law
- Crime and the law

and seeing as i haven't done consumer, family i don't really know what they are about. Therefore i have no idea what articles to collect about them. Can you please give me links to relevant articles pretaining to the topics above, thanks alot.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Find an article relating to any of these topics:
for consumers & family:
Optional Focus Study 1 – Consumers :
Key Legal Concepts and Features of the Legal System
•concepts of the consumer in the law
–the nature of the change from a rural subsistence society to an urban mass-consumption/production society, including the effect of this change on the role of the State in consumer affairs
–contracts and terms implied by common law and statutes
–the regulation of marketing and advertising, including general standards, specific requirements, deceptive marketing practices and ‘cooling off’ periods
–occupational licensing, including self-regulation, State regulation, licensing of occupations such as motor car dealers and repairers, travel agents and review of licensing decisions
–financing a purchase, including the notion of security, rights and remedies of borrowers and credit providers and the regulation of credit providers

Legal Issues and Remedies
•consumers’ rights
–the nature of contracts, including the binding nature of a contract, written and oral contracts, terms and conditions of contracts, parties to contracts and privity of contract
–the role of common law in remedying injustice, legislation designed to remedy injustice such as the Contracts Review Act 1980 (NSW), problems of language and literacy, discrimination in supply of goods and services (including credit) and remedies for breach of contract
–statutory controls, including rights against suppliers, rights against manufacturers, rights against finance companies, quality of goods and services, compliance with description and promotional material and legislation governing spare parts and repair facilities
•consumer redress
–self-help and awareness, including complaints to suppliers and manufacturers
–sources of advice and assistance for dealing with complaints, including relevant government agencies, consumer groups, the media, investigating agencies
–processes for redress, including self-help, mediation and conciliation, Fair Trading Tribunal, arbitration, class actions and the courts
–consumer remedies, including damages, rescission and modification of contract, special orders, injunctions and specific performance

Morality, Ethics and Commitment to the Law
•the extent to which law reflects moral and ethical standards
•commitment to the law – the issue of compliance and non-compliace

Effectiveness of the Law
•factors to be considered when evaluating the effectiveness of law in achieving justice:
–for individuals: equality, accessibility, enforceability, resource efficiency, protection and recognition of individual rights
–for society: resource efficiency, law as a reflection of community standards and expectations, opportunities for enforcement, appeals and review, balance of individual rights and values and community rights and values

Law Reform
•the agencies of reform and the conditions that give rise to the need for reform
–law reform commissions, parliament, courts, changing social values and composition of society, new concepts of justice, failure of existing law, international law and new technology.

Key Questions/Issues
•To what extent can competition policy achieve equity and justice?
•How useful are legal controls in protecting the rights of consumers in regulating manufacturers/suppliers?
•How effective is the law in protecting consumers, manufacturers/suppliers?

Optional Focus Study 2 – Family

Content
Students learn about:
Key Legal Concepts and Features of the Legal System
•concepts of a family in the law
–the different functions of a family as dealt with by the law
–the institution of marriage, including the legal definition of marriage, requirements of a valid marriage, including marriageable age, parental consent, prohibited degrees of relationship, notice of marriage, requirements for a valid marriage ceremony and marriage licence
–legal consequences and responsibilities of marriage, including mutual duties of husband and wife, maintenance, property rights, agency, wills and family provision legislation
–legal rights and obligations between parents and children, including care and control, education, discipline, medical treatment, autonomy of children and inheritance
–dissolution of marriage

Legal Issues and Remedies
•alternative family arrangements, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ customary law marriages, single parent families, blended families, same sex relationships, polygamous marriages, de facto relationships and all family agreements
•parents and children, including United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, birth technology and surrogacy, ex-nuptial children, adoption and guardianship
•problems in family relationships, including causes, legal response to violence between spouses, by and against children, children in trouble, including care and abuse issues
•children’s courts and legal aid
•dissolution of marriage, including development of family law legislation and the Family Court of Australia
•counselling, limits of the court’s jurisdiction, parental responsibility and parental orders (including residence, contact and child maintenance), property allocation, spousal maintenance and problems of enforcement
•agreements, including parenting plans, cohabitation agreements and pre-nuptial agreements

Morality, Ethics and Commitment to the Law
•the extent to which law reflects moral and ethical standards
•commitment to the law – the issue of compliance and non-compliance

Effectiveness of the Law
•factors to be considered when evaluating the effectiveness of law in achieving justice:
–for individuals: equality, accessibility, enforceability, resource efficiency, protection and recognition of individual rights
–for society: resource efficiency, law as a reflection of community standards and expectations, opportunities for enforcement, appeals and review, balance of individual rights and values and community rights and values

Law Reform
•the agencies of reform and the conditions that give rise to the need for reform
–law reform commissions, parliament, courts, changing social values and composition of society, new concepts of justice, failure of existing law, international law and new technology.

Key Questions/Issues
•What are the familial arrangements recognised by law? Why does the law respond differently to different arrangements? What changes have taken place in this area?
•Why is marriage a legal institution?
• How does the law respond to domestic violence?
• Is the current family law legislation an improvement on previous legislation?
• Why are some aspects of family law dealt with by State courts?

Good luck
trust this helps. :)

Last edited:

hannahxxx

HSC
If you have a brother/sister at uni then you should also have access to online databases to all national and international newspapers(however recent you want). You'll need to ask for their online uni login details. If this isn't the case then finding articles will probably be a lot harder for you.

I didn't do consumer but I DID do family. Things I'd mention (plus links to news articles):
-AVO effectiveness:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21081997-5006784,00.html
- the recent passing of embryonic cloning legislation:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2006-11/08/content_727522.htm
- Surrogacy issues across states
- same-sex marriage
The link to the last two articles is below.

In your assignment make sure you quote THEMES from the syllabus and tie it into what you're saying (do this with EVERY article). Underline/highlight syllabus THEMES in your assignment when you mention them-even if you're not asked to-as this will maximize your marks (it's a feature of band six responses in the HSC).

With regards to your not having done the topics: skim read. If you read the newspaper regularly (as is expected with legal) then remembering past articles you've read to do with these topics shouldn't be too hard.

Also: school librarians can be REALLY helpful with regards to finding articles on the net for you for free-make sure you ask.

Good luck with your assignment!

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks alot guys, i really appreciate your help. What do you mean by "make sure you quote THEMES from the syllabus and tie it into what you're saying (do this with EVERY article). Underline/highlight syllabus THEMES in your assignment when you mention them-even if you're not asked to-as this will maximize your marks (it's a feature of band six responses in the HSC). " It would be great if you could give an example.

Last edited:

goan_crazy

HSC
These are the themes:
Legal Studies Themes:

There are 6 themes that we have to know:

These are:
Justice, law and society, Continuity and change,Culture, values and ethics, Conflict and cooperation, Legal process and institutions and Effectiveness of the legal system

Justice, law and society:
the interrelationship between the concepts of justice, law and society

Continuity and change
the evolution of legal rules and institutions
the importance of precedent in establishing rules
the effects of social, political, economic and ideological factors and of community
attitudes
the means and processes by which the law changes

Culture, values and ethics
the extent to which law reflects the culture and values of different societies and
groups within society
the importance of ethics in the functioning of society

Legal process and institutions
how laws are made
the nature of legal institutions such as parliaments, courts, the United Nations
the adjudication and settlement of disputes and enforcement of legal rules

Conflict and cooperation
the nature and extent of conflict in society
the place of law in resolving conflict and encouraging cooperation

Effectiveness of the legal system
Effectiveness within the legal system has a number of meanings. They include:
the extent to which an issue can be dealt with by the law
if an issue is dealt with by the law, how well it is dealt with in terms of ease of
access, simplicity, consistency, predictability and delivery of just outcomes
the capacity of a law to stop or change human behaviour.

They can incorporate these themes into questions especially into extended responses so it is important for us to know these.

goan_crazy

HSC
As requested on MSN Shrika
heres the syllabus sections for law and society.
Law and Society
Law and society:law and justice, human rights
First section- law and justice
Second Section-Human Rights
Topic 1 – Law and Justice

Content
Students learn about:
The Essential Influences on Law
•the concept of the rule of law
•the social, cultural, moral, political and economic influences

Nature of Law
•development of law as a reflection of past and present society
•customary law, common law and civil law systems
•doctrine of natural justice
•the purpose of different types of law: domestic and international law; public and private law; civil and criminal law; contract law; tort law; property law; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander customary law

Nature of Justice
•concepts of access, equity, fairness, equality and human rights.

Key Questions/Issues
•To what extent is law influenced by the society in which it operates?
•What characterises a just law?
•Does formal equality before the law hide institutionalised inequality?

Topic 2 – Human Rights

Content
Students learn about:
Rights
•the nature and development of concepts of human rights
–state sovereignty, ‘natural law’ doctrine, historic constitutional documents, movement for slavery abolition, trade unionism, universal suffrage and universal education
–distinguishing between moral, customary and legal rights
–differences between domestic and international rights
•identifying the types of international rights
–civil and political rights; economic, social and cultural rights; environmental and peace rights
–collective right to self-determination
•the recognition of human rights under Australian law: common and statute law, evolving human rights, including the possibility of a Bill of Rights, recognition and enforcement of rights
•contemporary struggles for human rights, the changing understanding of human rights and the effectiveness of legal measures both domestically and internationally in addressing human rights issues.

Key Questions/Issues
•What are rights?
•How are they recognised and enforced?
•How effective are legal measures, both domestically and internationally, in addressing human rights issues?
•How effective are non-legal measures?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Everyone as seemed to have answered your question quite well, the only thing I will suggest is for family, any articles on the rights for same sex marriage, surrocacy, adoption, divorce(like mediation for those getting divorced)

the one on the front page of the telegraph today about surrogacy - NOTE IT IS A VIC CASE if you are going to use it check with the teacher http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/story/0,22049,21128893-5001021,00.html "She is angry, however, that Kye's biological parents - Leanne and Leanne's husband, Paul - are not recognised on his birth certificate.

Victorian law demands that Antoinette is named as Kye's mother and her husband, David, is registered as his father.

"It frustrates us,'' Antoinette said. "When I saw Kye's birth certificate for the first time, I was furious.

"We have done nothing wrong, but I'm not Kye's mother, I'm his grandmother.''

Kye is the much-loved only child of Essendon couple Leanne and Paul.

"Biologically and emotionally Kye is our son,'' Leanne, 36, said. "It's not right that the law says we are not his parents.''

Fertility laws in Victoria have been under review for the past 10 years, but at this stage a birth mother and her partner are registered as parents and denies couples who have a child through surrogacy any legal rights. "

hannahxxx

HSC
Shrikar said:
What do you mean by "make sure you quote THEMES from the syllabus and tie it into what you're saying (do this with EVERY article).
Yeah I'll give you an example.
Below is an excerpt from my workplace assignment. The newspaper article was on the impact of the scrapping of unfair dismissals under Workchoices. One of the themes that jumped out at me from the newspaper article was
"Continuity and Change: the evolution of legal rules and institutions"

And so in my report on the article I included relevant words from this theme (in bold) in my discussion. Assignment:

In terms of CONTINUITY AND CHANGE, the justification for the EVOLUTION of the new Workchoices laws is questionable. This is because:
- there is a lack of academic and empirical evidence to support the Government's claim that removing unfair dismissal laws is essential to stimulate job creation( the 77,000 figure could not be justified by judges, economists or the Federal Senate Committee)
ETC.....

The teacher said mine stood out from the class (I ended up scoring top marks) because, while everyone else mentioned the themes, I HIGHLIGHTED them and always took my discussion back to them.

In English you have to relate your essay back to the question or else you won't get full marks. In legal, it's the same deal with relating your discussion back to the themes.

Memorizing the themes b4 half yearlies would be a great idea. It'll take your answers up to the next level :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)