Help me please :) (1 Viewer)

NBGHHS

HSC
Yo, i posted a thread last year, but now that im closer and have done my half yearlies(havnt got the marks back, but could estimate) it should be more clear cut

Subjects - Rank

Adv Eng - 1
Legal Studies - 1
Economics - 1
Maths Adv - 1 or 2, not sure yet
Biology - already did it in 2011 and got a 95 hsc mark
Ext Maths1 - coming 3rd out of 6 (i think i failed my half yearlies)

My school is ranked in the 500's (not too flash, but the exams are not that easy to be very honest)

What's my estimation and what do i need to get a 95+ atar?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Generally it's quite difficult to give a good estimate for students who rank highly in a low-ranked school.

Fortunately for you, you have already completed a subject and got a high mark so it does suggest you are quite intelligent.

I could give a better estimate if I knew how many people were in each of your subjects, but if you maintain the level of results which saw you get 95 for HSC Biology, then getting 95 shouldn't be too difficult.

You would basically be looking at getting in the high 80s and low 90s for each of your subjects bar Ext 1 Maths.

NBGHHS

HSC
Generally it's quite difficult to give a good estimate for students who rank highly in a low-ranked school.

Fortunately for you, you have already completed a subject and got a high mark so it does suggest you are quite intelligent.

I could give a better estimate if I knew how many people were in each of your subjects, but if you maintain the level of results which saw you get 95 for HSC Biology, then getting 95 shouldn't be too difficult.

You would basically be looking at getting in the high 80s and low 90s for each of your subjects bar Ext 1 Maths.
hanks for your reply :)
i understand how it would be difficult to estimate, though I feel confident (getting 95+ marks for legal, eco and adv eng)

Here are the number in each of my courses

Adv eng - 46
Adv math - 39
ext math - 6
eco- 12
legal - 43

On reflection, these number look pretty bad aye?

D94

HSC
N/A
If you can do as well in your other subjects as Bio, then you're definitely looking at around 99. You're definitely on track for 95+

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Going by your results, you could be a 96-97 ATAR student or you could be a 99+ student. It's hard to tell based on the poor cohort overall except you based on your Biology result.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Compare Biology to your other subjects. How confident do you feel about them in comparison?

NBGHHS

HSC
Well i feel very confident, not really high 90's confident, but atleast band 6 - high band 5 confidence.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well given your high ranks you really get to decide how you'll go. Your 95 HSC mark in bio is very good, you'll get around a 97 as I based it on scrapping a band 6 for all your subs bar maths where I estimated high band 5 and an E3.

But it is hard to estimate for a high rank student at a low rank school, just know you are getting in the prime position to achieve whatever ATAR you want. What does the dux of your school normally get around and see how you compare to them.

NBGHHS

HSC
Dux of my school mostly gets a 90, but its been really spread out since a really bright kid comes and goes every now and then. So, 3 years ago it was 96, and 5 years before it was 97, last year it was 91.

@lovehateschool, thankyou for your reply, i think your estimate at my markings were exactly how i feel i am going to go. 95 would make me very happy, 97 would put me over the moon. :p
I reckon i just gotta keep going now :)

thanks everyone for your help

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Then we'd probably need to know how consistent across their subjects those duxes were because they might have been top 5 in everything while the other students that beat him/her in a specific subject were just not consistent with all their subjects.

Going by your ranks, you should be good for a 93-94 at least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)