help! is my workload too hard? (1 Viewer)

MissGiggles

HSC
going into year 11 next year and i have to pick my preliminary subjects of course. i want to go into uni and study science. im thinking i'd like to do medicine and for that ill need an exceptional UAI, but that means i have to be able to pull off my subjects real good. what does everyone think....how hard will these be? maths advanced + extension - i think im top 15 of 150 students, 86% top level maths (er, 3C?)english advanced + extension - 3rd of 150, have topped year a few times, always above 90%)chemisty and biology - rumoured i topped year last year in science but was not awarded for it so i wont credit that...ill go top five...always above 97%and my let down is religion - will do 2U...compulsory (damn it) i honestly dont feel bad about failing it but may have to start paying attention...im top class at least

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC
you should try and space out your writing.

honestly, it's too time-consuming trying to figure out what you're trying to say.

just a bit of advice.

good luck.

rolror88

HSC
N/A
Can't really comment on workload.. but last year at my school (which is outside top 100) of the 5 people who got 99+, 3 did SOR 2. (SOR 1 or Catholic Studies is compulsory at my school). But this may be because that the 3 did 4 U english.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Pacchiru said:

honestly, it's too time-consuming trying to figure out what you're trying to say.

just a bit of advice.

good luck.
Lol that's true.

Well it sounds like that you are more of a numbers person then writing so i would go for as many siciences as you can. Chemistry would be a prioroty aswell as physics and biology, i wouldn't do earth and environmental science purely because its scaling is pathetic. And of course probably should choose ext. maths since you seem good at it. You will then also have the option for ext 2 maths in year 12 if you're good enough

TBK11

HSC
MissGiggles said:
going into year 11 next year and i have to pick my preliminary subjects of course. i want to go into uni and study science. im thinking i'd like to do medicine and for that ill need an exceptional UAI, but that means i have to be able to pull off my subjects real good.

what does everyone think....how hard will these be? maths advanced + extension - i think im top 15 of 150 students, 86% top level maths (er, 3C?)english advanced + extension - 3rd of 150, have topped year a few times, always above 90%)chemisty and biology -

rumoured i topped year last year in science but was not awarded for it so i wont credit that...ill go top five...always above 97%and my let down is religion -

will do 2U...compulsory (damn it) i honestly dont feel bad about failing it but may have to start paying attention...im top class at least

There we go now i can read it :D
hmm about your subjects ull be fine the workload anint much as for me i got a similar workload
Maths Ex1= 3U
English Ex1=3U
Chemistry= 2U
Biology= 2U
Retail Services=2U
Ancient History -_-= 2U

Totalling 14Units

im stuck at 14 i dont no why the school says u need 6 subs anywho these subs seems like a killer workload but if u balance it out ull be fine, make time for each subject but with EX1 English and EX1 Maths ull be looking at Heavy Hours of study revision ect..

but to sum it up ull do fine ull be able to cope with the Workload jus balance everything out make time for work and time for fun :D

studentcheese

HSC
14 units is fine. You can drop some subjects if you feel the workload is too much :D

MissGiggles

HSC
studentcheese said:
14 units is fine. You can drop some subjects if you feel the workload is too much :D

well that isn't 14 units...its 12. our school's rules are that we must do 12 units (no more no less) for the preliminary year. my mums the sort that doesnt see any point to free periods so its 12 units for me all the way. thak god only twelve. must do at least four subjects. ive heard studies of religion 2U scales just as good as chemistry but i don't know anything bout scaling.
yes i am more of a numbers person than writing but my english teacher wants me to do extension (same with maths). the sciences are coz i like science but physics drives me crazy with all those equations which is weird considering i like real maths. no way in hell i could sit through earth and environmental and stay awake so i'll leave that to my boyfriend.

Last edited:

speedofsound

HSC
You're not even allowed to do 13 units? Say, English Ext. 1 and 6 other 2U subjects?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Personally, if I was given a chance to do so, I would have picked 16 units from the start and slowly dropped the subjects that I don't like. Some people in my year only have 12 units now and don't know what to drop because they can only drop 1 when they want to drop 2.

XFatimaX

HSC
one bit of advice..

try to balance ur subjects...

look through the job guides, and UAC books.. and see wut subjects u need for each career..
like e.g: i wanna do medicine, and i need chemistry, mathematics and adv. english to get into it .. along side a really high UAI...

MissGiggles

HSC
XFatimaX said:
one bit of advice..

try to balance ur subjects...

look through the job guides, and UAC books.. and see wut subjects u need for each career..
like e.g: i wanna do medicine, and i need chemistry, mathematics and adv. english to get into it .. along side a really high UAI...
hey cool i wanna do medicine too! i know newcastle uni has a cut off of 95 with the UAI but id rather move in with my family in sydney. i am so freaking out about that

and speedofsound no not even 13 units. the schools idea is that if you want to do an extension you do 1U Studies of Religion instead of 2U or find another 1U course. im making up for that with another extension

but secretly im considering dropping the extension english and 1 unit of religion to do drama but my friend has me on the "lets not embarrace yourself" side and my librarian mother would throw a hissy fit. she loves books and english stuff. she'd live at the wallsend library if they didnt close

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
MissGiggles said:
hey cool i wanna do medicine too! i know newcastle uni has a cut off of 95 with the UAI but id rather move in with my family in sydney. i am so freaking out about that

and speedofsound no not even 13 units. the schools idea is that if you want to do an extension you do 1U Studies of Religion instead of 2U or find another 1U course. im making up for that with another extension

but secretly im considering dropping the extension english and 1 unit of religion to do drama but my friend has me on the "lets not embarrace yourself" side and my librarian mother would throw a hissy fit. she loves books and english stuff. she'd live at the wallsend library if they didnt close
You live in Newcastle hey... what school do you go to MissGiggles?

MissGiggles

HSC
supercalamari said:
You live in Newcastle hey... what school do you go to MissGiggles?

just a small catholic school hidden away on a hill in mayfield that belives in 'catering for our educational, physical and spiritual wellbeing' (*gag*). (i guess that might narrow it down for anyone familiar with newy's catholic schools)

its dominican (lay terms: set up and until recently run by the dominian sisters) so our motto is veritas and his symbols are everywhere we look. religion in every subject :( i hate having to bus it in every day but because its small so easy to top the year lol

i've only got three more weeks until its off to the next school though. its crappy how the catholic system is split 7-10 and 11&12. anyone out there from the catholic schools in the maitland-newcastle diocese...with so few options i might see you soon lolol :)

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
haha i know which one you mean, did you also go to the primary school near there?

i live near that school.

SFX or Pius for year eleven...?

MissGiggles

HSC
supercalamari said:
haha i know which one you mean, did you also go to the primary school near there?

i live near that school.

SFX or Pius for year eleven...?
nah there's a closer primary to me. its dominican too so i've heard his life story every year for eleven years every st dominics day...and yet my friends from that school or this can't remember a single fact.

pius is 7-10. they move up to SFX like our school does. they try to help us out with zoning but with the way the few schools are scattered half the year will go to public schools coz they won't be bothered to catch multiple buses, but i'll go through

what school are you in? you seem to know the system well lol

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Pacchiru said:

just a bit of advice.

good luck.
This.

From what I hope I interpreted, you're doing pretty well.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Hahaha I forgot that Pius was 7-10, don't know many people there.

I go to Merewether, know a few SFX kids as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)