Help! Failed 2012 HSC and regret it badly, want to go to Uni now :( (1 Viewer)

jonny94

HSC
Okay so I failed my 2012 HSC and took a terrible gap year and pretty much bludged it.

I want to do industrial design at ANY uni even UWS if I can but they have no pathways whatsoever.

I enrolled into a Cert IV in Design at tafe but Im not sure if Im guaranteed entry via that way..

Is there any other way I can get into uni? I dont care what course I just want to get in and move myself through the ranks like internal transfers... please help

ps. does this course not have a ATAR cut off? whats the go with new courses? http://future.uws.edu.au/future_students_home/ug/eng_info_tech/bachelor_of_information_systems

mcapuano

HSC
Yes it does have a cut-off it just hasn't been determined yet because it's a new course, the cut-off will be determined by the demand for the course. I'm fairly certain that to get from TAFE to uni you have to get a diploma which takes a while, usually about 2 years, so you might be better off just re-doing the HSC since that will only take 1 year, and getting an ATAR that will get you into university.

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
Yes it does have a cut-off it just hasn't been determined yet because it's a new course, the cut-off will be determined by the demand for the course. I'm fairly certain that to get from TAFE to uni you have to get a diploma which takes a while, usually about 2 years, so you might be better off just re-doing the HSC since that will only take 1 year, and getting an ATAR that will get you into university.
This.
You might as well repeat the hsc in tafe and it's the easiest path since you can do year 11 and 12 within a year and get your atar and go to uni.
Going through diploma and courses takes you forever to get into uni.

Gr1ff1n

HSC
Hi. Just thought I would offer some advice as I studied and completed a Diploma within 2013 (course duration was 12 months) with no past TAFE experience prior to that. I would ignore the other posts. Repeating the HSC is a bad choice, it was something I was also considering at the time and I'm thankful I didn't go through with it. You should also submit an application for the Diploma course in that respected subject. I was able to skip the Certificate IV and the other certificates prior and made it straight into the Diploma.

I would also seek direct contact with the individual which is responsible for running the course if you wish to run for the Diploma. You'll have a much higher chance of being accepted. They'll most likely recommend the Certificate IV, but be persistent about entrance into the Diploma and you will be fine mate. If you have the right mindset you shouldn't have any issues with the course.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions. :)

Last edited:

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi. Just thought I would offer some advice as I studied and completed a Diploma within 2013 (course duration was 12 months) with no past TAFE experience prior to that. I would ignore the other posts. Repeating the HSC is a bad choice, it was something I was also considering at the time and I'm thankful I didn't go through with it. You should also submit an application for the Diploma course in that respected subject. I was able to skip the Certificate IV and the other certificates prior and made it straight into the Diploma.

I would also seek direct contact with the individual which is responsible for running the course if you wish to run for the Diploma. You'll have a much higher chance of being accepted. They'll most likely recommend the Certificate IV, but be persistent about entrance into the Diploma and you will be fine mate. If you have the right mindset you shouldn't have any issues with the course.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions. :)

Completely agree with this guy.
I had a friend who got an atar >50 and was pretty devastated because he thought he wouldn't make uni.
He went to TAFE and worked hard, and he's now doing industrial design at UTS.

Doing the HSC again is the stupidest decision you could ever make because there are so many pathways into uni.

If you don't do TAFE, go and work full time for a few years and then if you still want to study, apply as a mature aged student.
Take the TAFE route and get yourself some qualifications, and then decide if uni is still for you. You might even change your mind and find a different pathway!

enoilgam

HSC
Definitely agree with the above, I dont think repeating is the best idea. You're far better off going with a TAFE pathway into uni, because you might be able to make it into uni much quicker. You could also try entry programs which the uni's run (i.e. UTS Insearch, UWS College etc).

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
If you don't do TAFE, go and work full time for a few years and then if you still want to study, apply as a mature aged student.
As if this pathway is any easier lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)