help? dilemma with teacher. (1 Viewer)

KillerIsMe

Very Special Master
HSC
So my extension 1 english teacher and I have had a few problems with each other.
Basically, I made a complaint about him, and he found out.
My original mark was 92% (should have been higher, he decided to mark me down for not using romantic language which if you know the course is ridiculous for creative writing)
Anyway, after he found out I complained, my mark dropped to 67%
I had this speech marked by a tutor who said he was a very strict marker but gave me 17/20.
When submitting my draft to my teacher, I was told it was excellent and what he told me to change I did.
My feedback after came on a slip of paper that simply said "Adequate textual refrerencing. You need to look at the bigger picture." - We were told to specifically refer to ONE text.
I told the assessment co ordinator and talked to the principal and nothing was done.

Don't know if this is worth going the the Board of Studies over? I feel annoying and like I'm trying to scab marks if I keep pushing this but he has been really unfair. No more extension assessments til the trials however 70% of my internal mark for extension is now at like 70% which is definitely not good and my rank is pretty screwed.

He hasn't just done it to me he has done it to other students and it's really pissing me off.
A little advice and/or reassurance would be great :bomb:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Don't expect the world to be fair. Unless u have the right & powerful connections u can't win and u get penalised for it. I know it is so unfair. So think carefully before u act further.

Remember the news a couple of days ago about this former principal of a country Christian school who dismissed 2 students and later a teacher who complained about his inappropriate behaviour. I think one of the students didn't get to complete her HSC.

Good luck.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
So my extension 1 english teacher and I have had a few problems with each other.
My original mark was 92% (should have been higher, he decided to mark me down for not using romantic language which if you know the course is ridiculous for creative writing)
I had this speech marked by a tutor who said he was a very strict marker but gave me 17/20.
When submitting my draft to my teacher, I was told it was excellent and what he told me to change I did.
My feedback after came on a slip of paper that simply said "Adequate textual refrerencing. You need to look at the bigger picture." - We were told to specifically refer to ONE text.
I told the assessment co ordinator and talked to the principal and nothing was done.

Don't know if this is worth going the the Board of Studies over? I feel annoying and like I'm trying to scab marks if I keep pushing this but he has been really unfair. No more extension assessments til the trials however 70% of my internal mark for extension is now at like 70% which is definitely not good and my rank is pretty screwed.

He hasn't just done it to me he has done it to other students and it's really pissing me off.
I'd secretly get another teacher (preferably from another school - through a friend maybe?) to remark your piece and see what he/she thinks. If there is a substantial difference, then I would consider taking it to the Board of Studies, if not, then well unfortunately things didn't go your way.

LordPc

HSC
Im interesting in this part of the story.

when was your mark 92% and when did it drop to 67%?

because if he gave you your assignment back with a mark of 92% and then later on your report or something you found out it somehow dropped to 67%, then you have reason for concern. if however the 92% was not an official mark, then i dont see that you have a case.

for example, if he had a look at your assignment a few days before it was due and said it was about 92% that means nothing. perhaps when marking other students were above and beyond at a level of around 130%. so to be fair and seperate out these students he scaled all of the marks back so that you ended up getting 67% and the other 130% students ended up getting near 100%.

so it all depends on when exactly you got these marks.

if you think everything is fine as far as your side is concerned, go to principal again. if he does nothing then go to the board

djraven87

School or at home doing school work :( or BOSing
HSC
I think you should write a formal letter and hand it to the the head teacher of the english department at your school..

I had a similar issue with legal last year..

In the yearly exam for my yr11 legal test i wrote a 1pge formal letter complaining about how the teacher had poor teaching abilities..
He seriously did though.. all he would do was talk and talk and we would barely write anything down.. And i just got sick of it, and seeing as i finnished the exam 30 minutes early (it was a 90 minute exam) i had nothing better to do..
But in the end, i had to see the head teacher of social science's and the deputy principal.. The head teacher said he would talk to Mr Gillmore about giving us more written notes (and he actually followed through)

So everything is fine now.. My legal teacher actually writes on the board now.. o_O

But in all seriousness... It's the HSC and your mark is important because it affects your ranking. If you think you got cheated then raise the issue..

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I think you should write a formal letter and hand it to the the head teacher of the english department at your school..

I had a similar issue with legal last year..

In the yearly exam for my yr11 legal test i wrote a 1pge formal letter complaining about how the teacher had poor teaching abilities..
He seriously did though.. all he would do was talk and talk and we would barely write anything down.. And i just got sick of it, and seeing as i finnished the exam 30 minutes early (it was a 90 minute exam) i had nothing better to do..
But in the end, i had to see the head teacher of social science's and the deputy principal.. The head teacher said he would talk to Mr Gillmore about giving us more written notes (and he actually followed through)

So everything is fine now.. My legal teacher actually writes on the board now.. o_O

But in all seriousness... It's the HSC and your mark is important because it affects your ranking. If you think you got cheated then raise the issue..
er, isn't that really your fault.

KillerIsMe

Very Special Master
HSC
It was 92% in term one and 67% in term two.
two different teacher gave me 17 & 16 out of 20.
so i understand that whilst obviously it wasnt worth 92% again it is definitely not worth 67%

Zedez

HSC
So wait, is this the same assesment, or two different ones? In what form did you get each mark i.e. did he tell it to you or was it on something official?

You may find that if your head teachers won't listen to you they might if you tactfully mention getting the BoS involved.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
It was 92% in term one and 67% in term two.
two different teacher gave me 17 & 16 out of 20.
so i understand that whilst obviously it wasnt worth 92% again it is definitely not worth 67%
Different teachers give different marks. That's the crap thing about English.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol to above post and too bad about the marks... I wouldn't really be taking it much further... because stories can just be made up and then it's just your word against his... he wins cause he's a teachers.

brad616

HSC

I would be EXTREMELY careful if I was you. 92% is an excellent mark by any one's standard especially in an outrageously challenging course like English Extension 1. I would leave the matter completly if I was you if you try to complain it willonly make matters worse.

I speak from experience when I say this. In the HSC I had the exact same problem with my Modern History teacher. She marked me down and put 7/20 instead of 17/20 BITCH:burn::burn::burn::burn::burn::burn::burn::burn:. Anyway I ended up exploding at her (I was incredibly stressed right before my exams) and got suspended DURING MY EXAMS!!!!!! And ended up stuffing up the HSC getting a UAI somewhere in the 80s when in actual fact I should have and would have been in the 90s. Be very very careful.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
I would be EXTREMELY careful if I was you. 92% is an excellent mark by any one's standard especially in an outrageously challenging course like English Extension 1. I would leave the matter completly if I was you if you try to complain it willonly make matters worse.

I speak from experience when I say this. In the HSC I had the exact same problem with my Modern History teacher. She marked me down and put 7/20 instead of 17/20 BITCH:burn::burn::burn::burn::burn::burn::burn::burn:. Anyway I ended up exploding at her (I was incredibly stressed right before my exams) and got suspended DURING MY EXAMS!!!!!! And ended up stuffing up the HSC getting a UAI somewhere in the 80s when in actual fact I should have and would have been in the 90s. Be very very careful.
Ouch. :eek:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Move on. It's really not worth stressing yourself over, and affecting the rest of your HSC.

HSC
complain, say its unfair, whine until they do somethin

a bad english mark can screw up ur hsc so much so u gota destroy the bastard now

take him down

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)