Help, are my Band 6 chances over? (1 Viewer)

Quartermaster

HSC
Ok I had an Ancient History assessment worth 20%
It was two parts, both worth 10%
- A presentation
- And an in-class test

I did really well in the presentation (my teacher told me I got one of the highest marks)
However, I didn't study for the test I had today, it's out of 25 and I'm guessing I failed it
Please help, are my Band 6 chances over, is it too late for me to move up?

enoilgam

HSC
I dont know why people think that a poor showing in their first exam somehow eliminates them from getting a certain mark. You have more than enough time to turn things around - this assignment was worth 20%, meaning that it will equal out to only 10% of your total mark (50% internal, 50% external). If you just did poorly in the essay, then you would have only stuffed 5% of your HSC.

babylonne

HSC
Of course you can still get a band 6. I was average / bottom after my first assessments in English and a humanities subject and I ended up securely in the top 10 for both after trials.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
1)You did really well in your presentation-objective fact(your teacher told you that you got a high mark)
2)You are 'guessing' you 'failed' the test-subjective opinion

So based on the above unarguable premises, you might well have passed your exam and maybe even did much better in it than your post-exam pessimistic tendencies are leading you to think, I think you should based your judgment on objective facts rather than mix it with your subjective opinion, this is a way to maintain a positive psychological mindset for the HSC

Are my Band 6 chances over, is it too late for me to move up?
1)No-unless you think your performance of a part of an assessment will result in that

What I suggest you do:
1)Stop thinking about the exam and start revising for any other exams you have coming up, or reward yourself for doing well in the presentation, stop thinking about possibilities and confront the exam when you get actual exam results-when you will know whether your prediction is right and get comments on how you can improve

2)Your HSC score in any subject is a combination of your school rank, your cohort's performance and your performance in the HSC, if that ancient exam was hard, then no doubt other people will find it hard as well, just remember, this is a year long battle-you've just done one assessment, there are still 80% of internal school marks up for grabs, plenty of opportunities to redeem yourself even if you did 'bad'

3)Keep trying and keep studying and that band 6 will be waiting for you at the end of the year if you never stop believing that you can get there. Maintaining a positive attitude is an important part to succeeding in the HSC-not just for ancient history, but for all your other subjects, after one assessment, you don't know your overall mark and yet you are already questioning/doubting whether your band 6 chances are over seems a bit too melodramatic.

4)The question you should now be asking is 'How to make sure I can get a band 6 at the end of the year?'-and implement time management strategies that could allow you to have enough time to prepare for your assessments and study for them effectively:)

Last edited:

zhusalmz

HSC
got 60 percent for a Pompeii test, went from first place to 4th place, gave up on ancient, finished first anyway and easily gonna get band six. Ironically PandH is probably gonna get be strongest point on the actual paper 22 - 24marks...

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
got 60 percent for a Pompeii test, went from first place to 4th place, gave up on ancient, finished first anyway and easily gonna get band six. Ironically PandH is probably gonna get be strongest point on the actual paper 22 - 24marks...
I doubt this. I think you mean you "worked harder on ancient as your bad mark motivated you more".

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
nop u wrung
I don't know about you then. When I cam second in Physics for the first time, I tried my hardest to come first again but never happened. It was out of my control.

And a band 6 in any subject is never "easy".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)