heating effects of a current (1 Viewer)

super.muppy

HSC
i don't have the old version of surfing phys ideas to implementation so im missing '31 heating effects of a current - page 41.' if anyone has a copy could you please scan the answer for that section for me? (it should only be one page).
Or at least explain the purpose of heating a wire in water. Is it to simply show that a current carrying wire creates heat by the resistance of electrons?

btw for students without the book, its the prac whereby a ccc is heated and its temp recorded every 3 mins

random-1005

Banned
HSC
i don't have the old version of surfing phys ideas to implementation so im missing '31 heating effects of a current - page 41.' if anyone has a copy could you please scan the answer for that section for me? (it should only be one page).
Or at least explain the purpose of heating a wire in water. Is it to simply show that a current carrying wire creates heat by the resistance of electrons?

btw for students without the book, its the prac whereby a ccc is heated and its temp recorded every 3 mins
correct, i thought that was prelim, not hsc

nat_doc

HSC
the heat is produced as a consequence of the resistance (collisions of electrons with the lattice)

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
Yep, the model heating coil is in "Electrical Energy in the Home"

Basically, increased current = increased chances of electrons colliding with the lattice = increased resistance = increased heat

study-freak

Bored of
HSC

No, that doesn't make any sense.

due to the resistance of the conductor
or
by inelastic collisions of electrons with the lattice of the conductor.

By heating a wire in water, if you mean running a current through a conductor in water to convert electrical energy into heat, it's because we don't want to burn the conductor (water will take sufficient amount of heat away)
and we need to provide a medium through which heat can be measured/felt (prob not a wise idea to touch hot wires, etc).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)