Head Teacher Not Letting Me Drop Subject (1 Viewer)

maryjane05

HSC
I am in year 11 wanting to drop a pretty content heavy subject which I am not good at for a more practical subject (Design And Tech). I have talked with the 2 Design And Tech teachers in the school that know me really well and they have said that I have the skills for the course and they would be happy to have me in the class. However, the subject coordinator of my school (who has no background in the course and is a History teacher) is not allowing for this to happen. I know I would ace Design and Tech but he thinks he knows me. Does anybody here have any advice? I will probably contact NESA if this continues.

maryjane05

HSC
I am in year 11 wanting to drop a pretty content heavy subject which I am not good at for a more practical subject (Design And Tech). I have talked with the 2 Design And Tech teachers in the school that know me really well and they have said that I have the skills for the course and they would be happy to have me in the class. However, the subject coordinator of my school (who has no background in the course and is a History teacher) is not allowing for this to happen. I know I would ace Design and Tech but he thinks he knows me. Does anybody here have any advice? I will probably contact NESA if this continues.
In this situation, I do not think the school is allowed to force me to stay, correct me if I am wrong. I can tell this is probably true as he uses "I do not recommend" in his language to me instead of "I will not let you", insinuating that he cannot force me.

maryjane05

HSC
In this situation, I do not think the school is allowed to force me to stay, correct me if I am wrong. I can tell this is probably true as he uses "I do not recommend" in his language to me instead of "I will not let you", insinuating that he cannot force me.

This is a common tactic he uses to stop students from asking and pushing further, he thinks that they will just go away and not question anything.

No surprises

HSC
Hmm did you do the course for like 2 terms and you want to chang to another subject?
Idk about other schools but this is probably impossible cuz in my school, anytime after 3 weeks into year 11 is not allowed.

But I reckon if you can catch up with all the works before and do the assessment for Design and get a really decent mark, just show the mark to that history teacher then I don't see a point he/she can still say no

hehe43

HSC
Yeah it's against nesa's rules for you to change subjects at this point. You have to complete 12 units of year 11 and by leaving this subject now and doing the other you would not complete the full required hours for either course. I'm not sure how this didn't get communicated to you by your school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)