Have people started writing yet? (1 Viewer)

Manan

HSC
Hey guys,

Just wondering how much everyone has written for the major work. For my story i have about 100 words done....still a draft...what about everyone else?

Thanks

J

jhakka

By this time last year, I only had 360 words written, and then I was stuck for a really long time. I didn't do anything serious until some time around the Easter holidays. Don't stress.

tim05

HSC
i have...

800 word opening

3500 words of stuff from in the middle

and 1600 words of stuff I have already scrapped

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Id try and get a move on. The last thing you want to be doing is still writing just before trials when there are another 9+ units you should be studying for.

tim05

HSC
haha maybe most people have that many... but doing only 9 units this year gives me heaps of time :D lol... the joys of doing geography early

Manan

HSC
Alright, thanks guys,

Well since then, the word counts gone up to about 750, so im making "progress" :)

And good luck to everyone who's writing.

Cheers

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
i wrote 2 pages in the xmas holidays, i showed my teacher and she told me i had to change the narrative technique i was using to 1st person. I was really happy with the work i had done but now ive lost all motivation because it obviously wasnt good enough

Abbeygale

HSC
_muse_ said:
i wrote 2 pages in the xmas holidays, i showed my teacher and she told me i had to change the narrative technique i was using to 1st person. I was really happy with the work i had done but now ive lost all motivation because it obviously wasnt good enough
Of course it wasn't good enough. It was your first draft. If constructive feedback is that upsetting to you, why would you take this course?

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
it was a first draft that i was happy with, i was willing to make changes, but what my teacher said was ridiculous, she wanted me to change so many things that by the time she finished rattling them off the whole point of my story was lost. I am more than willing to accept constructive criticism and i will take what she has said think about changing a few elements but atm ive lost motivation to continue writing

Abbeygale

HSC
_muse_ said:
it was a first draft that i was happy with, i was willing to make changes, but what my teacher said was ridiculous, she wanted me to change so many things that by the time she finished rattling them off the whole point of my story was lost. I am more than willing to accept constructive criticism and i will take what she has said think about changing a few elements but atm ive lost motivation to continue writing
Perhaps, if your teacher suggested changes that altered the point of the story, you weren't communicating that point terribly well in the first place?

HSC
N/A
Hmm. Why not try the first person and see how it goes...

Although my teacher also wanted me to change from first person narration to third person at one point. There are also other bits I was pressured to change, and in reflection, I really wish I'd dug in my heels and stuck to what I felt was right. After all, it is YOUR story, not theirs, and if it feels wrong to you, you'll be regretting it for a while...

*feels regret*

That being said, first drafts normally aren't very good - it tends to take a LOT of editing and re-working to get nice consistent flow in there :) And thinking about editing is always the hardest part - just do, don't think! :)

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
i have currently only got 1000 words.. ! but teacher said it was excelleenntt.. ( all in 2nd person.. with occasional 1st person )

and i have too much work with 13 units :(~

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Hmm. Why not try the first person and see how it goes...

Although my teacher also wanted me to change from first person narration to third person at one point. There are also other bits I was pressured to change, and in reflection, I really wish I'd dug in my heels and stuck to what I felt was right. After all, it is YOUR story, not theirs, and if it feels wrong to you, you'll be regretting it for a while...

*feels regret*

That being said, first drafts normally aren't very good - it tends to take a LOT of editing and re-working to get nice consistent flow in there :) And thinking about editing is always the hardest part - just do, don't think! :)
yeah i mean of course there were going to be errors in mine, i have terrible grammar and i have a habit of making my characters a little to knowledgable for their age...

im thinking of writing the story how i was writing before but then also writing portions of the story the way my teacher wants it and then see which one works best, because my ideas for my narrative style flow like theres no tomorrow but as for the first person narration... writers block.

katesaurus

HSC
ahh
ive written about 2000 words
but there all mumbo jumbo, thoughts and ideas mixed together
that doesnt make sense
Its mainly in first person
but doesnt seem to be having a plot whatsoever
YAY
ahahha
i think im going to fail

kyu_chan

the REAL nightmare begins
HSC
katesaurus said:
ahh
ive written about 2000 words
but there all mumbo jumbo, thoughts and ideas mixed together
that doesnt make sense
Its mainly in first person
but doesnt seem to be having a plot whatsoever
YAY
ahahha
i think im going to fail
Awe, don't think that. You're like my friend, she has 4500 bits and pieces and no plot, but I'm sure we'll all make it through.

I have 2800 right now... but I got to hurry up ;_; My mentor doesn't really meet up with me... (but she's getting better now)

~kyu

Spring Sakura

HSC
I finished my first draft...and now I'm editing like hell.

^_^

EDIT: oh and...damn it! I'm like 500 words over the limit!

kyu_chan

HSC
God, you people are so quick *cries*

Spring Sakura, 8500 already?! -_-;;

Spring Sakura

HSC
Yeh, I was lucky enough to be in a writing mood during the first weeks of this term.
...Good thing as well --I have another major work for Soc & Cult. to do as well. -_-

kyu_chan

HSC
Ohh~~ Lucky~ Your motivation was high and you probably have a good mentor too... Our mentors are always "too busy" doing other things...

Society and culture? Cool. I have major assignments for Chemistry and Biology... ;_; *nervous as hell*

I'm already breaking out... *looks at hives I got a day ago* -_-;; Hahaa, wonder what will happen when the HSC comes...

Spring Sakura

HSC
kyu_chan said:
Ohh~~ Lucky~ Your motivation was high and you probably have a good mentor too... Our mentors are always "too busy" doing other things...

Society and culture? Cool. I have major assignments for Chemistry and Biology... ;_; *nervous as hell*

I'm already breaking out... *looks at hives I got a day ago* -_-;; Hahaa, wonder what will happen when the HSC comes...
Mentors? I wish!!! God would my life be easier if I had a mentor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)