Have people started writing yet? (1 Viewer)

kyu_chan

the REAL nightmare begins
HSC
Eh?! You guys have no mentors (from school)...? We were told that we all have mentors even if the course if off-line *wonders*

Spring Sakura

HSC
by 'mentors' you mean teachers? well, we have a teacher...but she doesn't really help us in WRITING...she just reads them when we're finished.

Abbeygale

HSC
Mentors don't have to be teachers. Or at least, they don't have to be at our school. If you don't have a mentor and want one, why not try approaching an English/Humanities teacher you like and see if they're willing?
I've only visited my mentor once, but most people find them invaluable.

lilkatie

hmm i sure as hell have done jack all work.....sure havent started oh my i'm starting to stress alot!!

get_born

*Katie* said:
hmm i sure as hell have done jack all work.....sure havent started oh my i'm starting to stress alot!!
calm down...many people havent started, myself, I've only written like two pages typed and now im stuck. But I reckon once you get started, things just fall into place.

kyu_chan

HSC
Spring Sakura said:
by 'mentors' you mean teachers? well, we have a teacher...but she doesn't really help us in WRITING...she just reads them when we're finished.
Yeah -_-;;; I see my mentor for 10 minutes a fortnight... and she just reads it and gives me a nudge... but actually, I find it useful... this course is lonely >< haha

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
we dont have mentors at my school.. our teacher is pretty much the only one we speak to about our works. as for progress im still stuck on the two pages i wrote 3 months ago :)

freakcore

HSC
I haven't started yet... starting to get worried by my own lack of motivation.
I find our 'mentor class' really useless and haven't, as of yet, been able to work out exactly why anyone actually goes. If i didn't have two other major projects i wouldn't be quite so worried about it. I should probably go start now........

Will Hunting

HSC
I have a friend who hadn't even begun her major work by Week 3 of this term, and now she's closing in on 3000, edited and proof-read, words. I would advise you guys to take a step back, take a deep breath and realise that the words'll come if you relax, clear your mind and let it flow. I'm not doing this course, but I was going to, so I'll tell you that I think the secret is getting in the right mind frame. If you could be in the right mind frame, you could punch out the major piece within a few days. It's easy for me to say, not having the pressure on me, but I've seen how stressed my mates get, and its effect on their output, and then I see how great they go, and how much they do, when they're taking it easy.

kyu_chan

HSC
Awe, good luck to all of us who needs it >_<

get_born

Just a peace of advice to everyone, dont rely on your mentors all the time, its your major work, and the greatest satisfaction comes after you complete your work on your own :) But that doesnt mean to say its not good to take on advice and criticism... just dont depend on them with your life.

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
my teacher told me to go see her this week but im scared... i've kinda told her i haven't done anything everytime i see her ( except my 1000 words.. .__> ) ^^ " ... wwhaat should i do ? *thinks* she wants at least 4000 words or something ARGHH XD~ .. maybe tmrws seminar thing at newtown will help get me motivated :p

get_born

boasboy said:
my teacher told me to go see her this week but im scared... i've kinda told her i haven't done anything everytime i see her ( except my 1000 words.. .__> ) ^^ " ... wwhaat should i do ? *thinks* she wants at least 4000 words or something ARGHH XD~ .. maybe tmrws seminar thing at newtown will help get me motivated :p
Well what exactly are you doing?

Alimoe_KG

HSC
i have so far written a grand total of 0 words =) but i think that as long as u hav the structure and idea clearly put down...its realli no big deal. Its onli 8000 words after all. RIght now, i noe wat im going to do and how im going to do it. So next holidays...im just gonna goo boom and write it all. Sure there might be mindblocks here and there, but just skip the parts u cant get down and do the ones u have the words for. Its not due until term 3 rite? so we still hav ..2 holidays and 1 whole term to do it =D. UNless u still dunt hav a concept and structure...i dun think we shuld be stressing out too much over the actual writing process.

get_born

Airness said:
i have so far written a grand total of 0 words =) but i think that as long as u hav the structure and idea clearly put down...its realli no big deal. Its onli 8000 words after all. RIght now, i noe wat im going to do and how im going to do it. So next holidays...im just gonna goo boom and write it all. Sure there might be mindblocks here and there, but just skip the parts u cant get down and do the ones u have the words for. Its not due until term 3 rite? so we still hav ..2 holidays and 1 whole term to do it =D. UNless u still dunt hav a concept and structure...i dun think we shuld be stressing out too much over the actual writing process.
I dont mean to stress you out, and its good that you have this easy laid back sort of flow going, and I wish more people were like that....the worldwould be a much better place, but the fact is in term 3 you have your trials to prepare and other assesments, and although its 8000 words, you are gonna have to do way more. See with this course its all about writing....writing ....writing, and in the end cutting it down so that its down to your best 8000 words. So the aim is cutting it down to the word limit, not aiming to get to the word limit, if you get what I mean :)

devious_lisa

HSC
last_chance said:
I dont mean to stress you out, and its good that you have this easy laid back sort of flow going, and I wish more people were like that....the worldwould be a much better place, but the fact is in term 3 you have your trials to prepare and other assesments, and although its 8000 words, you are gonna have to do way more. See with this course its all about writing....writing ....writing, and in the end cutting it down so that its down to your best 8000 words. So the aim is cutting it down to the word limit, not aiming to get to the word limit, if you get what I mean :)
if you put it in terms likes dat, then i need to get a move on to it too aye? Any suggestions of how i could deepen my research into the subject matter of insanity? I have ideads but the porblem with meeh ish, i get bursts of ideas every now and then and am tempted to change my initial ideas, which i noe ish not healthy, any advice on dat?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
devious_lisa said:
if you put it in terms likes dat, then i need to get a move on to it too aye? Any suggestions of how i could deepen my research into the subject matter of insanity? I have ideads but the porblem with meeh ish, i get bursts of ideas every now and then and am tempted to change my initial ideas, which i noe ish not healthy, any advice on dat?
Just write all of these bursts down, you can come back and see if anything fits into your story later, but if these new ideas well and truly seem better than your original than go ahead and use them.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
last_chance said:
i get wat u mean :D but i think, well at least this is the case with me, that once i start writing, it becomes more of a struggle to stay within the word limit then to get to it. I guess its beta if i do it early so i hav time to cut down ^^, becuz theres sure gonna be a hell lot to cut down on =)

get_born

devious_lisa said:
All i can say is all ideas are great, but when it comes down to it its quality and originality. All ideas are original, and quality comes from alot of work!! ;)

get_born

Airness said:
i get wat u mean :D but i think, well at least this is the case with me, that once i start writing, it becomes more of a struggle to stay within the word limit then to get to it. I guess its beta if i do it early so i hav time to cut down ^^, becuz theres sure gonna be a hell lot to cut down on =)
goodluck with starting and finishing. I hope everyone goes great with their major works, maybe we can liven this forum up a little by actually giving advice on the works we are all suppost to be working on. GOODLUCk and most of all have fun while your doing it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)