Has anyone with 98UAI or less ever made it into med.. (1 Viewer)

FinalFantasy

HSC
at UNSW?
just wondering.. cuz all those UNSW med ppl i saw, dey are like 99.9+ lol :(

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
FinalFantasy said:
at UNSW?
just wondering.. cuz all those UNSW med ppl i saw, dey are like 99.9+ lol :(
Yes.......

FinalFantasy

HSC
velox said:
yes i know ppl who got ~ 95.6 and made unsw med.
wow, u serious?

but is it like, Ultra Rare, ppl who have 98 UAI or less getting into unsw?

shafqat

HSC
N/A
unless ur rural entry, its quite hard if u get below 97
but there are some

lizbon

HSC
there are a fair amount ppl who made into med with just 97 or 98, u just gotta do well enough in UMAT and the interview, they're not just looking for book worms.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
There's no local full-fee for UNSW.

There's 500 interviewed people, and 182 places.
It'd be fair to say that at least 250 people would be offered places (I haven't been able to find the figures and I've been trying for a while now).
So make the interview and you're in with a good chance.

Incidentally, 95 UAI + 233 UMAT bought you an interview last year.

FinalFantasy

HSC
hmmm, what's w\ dat interview?
do dey just ask u things like y u wana do medicine or something lol

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
they ask quite a variety of stuff really, it's trying to judge your personality, communication skills and reasons for doing med in a 20 minute interview. look at the ausmedstudent forums, i think they have some relevant stuff about interviews.

in terms of offers, there are 180 odd local places and this year about 60 internationals, but keep in mind that about 30 or so of the local places are bonded, either to rural or workforce shortage (you get to put in preferences to rank those or exclude any you dont want, eg lots of people only had unbonded in their prefs and thus weren't offered a place).

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
All over the place - mainly asian (esp hong kong and singapore i think, malaysians as well and others) but there are people from the US, NZ as well, and probably more i don't know about. I think there's someone from tasmania as well ;) (I was surprised at how many interstate students there are, lots of canberrans and victorians)

stainmepink

HSC
ok. does getting a job right after the hsc finishes then continuing with the job until the interview comes along show that ur capable of doing other stuff other than study? or does this have to be a long term 1 year thing?

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
Who knows? The main round of interviews are in the September hols (after trials but before HSC), so it's really up to you (there's december interviews as well but there are fewer of them, maybe 150 compared to 350 in sept). Getting a job is only one way of showing you can function outside of school - do stuff because you want to (or need the money) rather than because you think you have to, there are so many things you could do that at least a few might suit you.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
I don't really know how UNSW treats people with EAS points, presumably they consider them the same as for other courses. To get an interview for UNSW in the first round, you have to have a pretty good UAI estimate (they get that from the school), like 98+ is what i heard last year for a reasonable UMAT score. They put a table on the net of the scores they used but the link is now dead and i can't remember, but yeah... theoretically minimum UAI is 95, but you'd need an awesome UMAT for that just to get an interview. Newcastle minimum UAI is 93.8 but they only look at UMAT to give interviews so you need a good one.
Don't know about any other Unis, or how EAS points are given to rural people, you'd better wait for other people for those.

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Rural entry people can get in with UAIs of less than 92. I don't know how they compare with the rest of the cohort in terms of UMAT marks, but I think cut offs would be slightly lower.

Mervyn, how many Norweigans are there in your year? I've heard their government usually sends ~6 per year, but i think we've only got 1 (that I know) in ours.

FinalFantasy

HSC
mervvyn said:
Who knows? The main round of interviews are in the September hols (after trials but before HSC), so it's really up to you (there's december interviews as well but there are fewer of them, maybe 150 compared to 350 in sept). Getting a job is only one way of showing you can function outside of school - do stuff because you want to (or need the money) rather than because you think you have to, there are so many things you could do that at least a few might suit you.
wow, i thought interview is after UMAT results and UAI ....
so how do dey look at ur UAI den, if it's before HSC?
and is it really necessary to do a job to get more advantage in da interview?

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
Skywalker said:
Rural entry people can get in with UAIs of less than 92. I don't know how they compare with the rest of the cohort in terms of UMAT marks, but I think cut offs would be slightly lower.

Mervyn, how many Norweigans are there in your year? I've heard their government usually sends ~6 per year, but i think we've only got 1 (that I know) in ours.
i haven't seen any norwegians yet, maybe they're hiding from me... :O Damn, i want hot norwegians in my course! (girls, that is)

They get a UAI estimate from your school to the nearest point (you might be able to go to the UNSW med website and see if you can find the application and CV forms there, there is a section the school has to fill out and it includes the UAI estimate. That's for the september round, for the december round they take real UAIs (for the people whose real UAIs were enough better than their estimate to get them an interview with their UMAT).

It isn't necessary to have a job to get advantage in the interiview. Advantage in the interview is being confident, articulate and able to answer their questions and justify those answers if necessary. But having stuff external to school, like a job but anything else as well, is both something to talk about in the interview and a demonstration that you have extra-curricular interests. Med is full of nerds, but they're cool, multi-talented, articulate nerds. :D

FinalFantasy

HSC
mervvyn said:
i haven't seen any norwegians yet, maybe they're hiding from me... :O Damn, i want hot norwegians in my course! (girls, that is)

They get a UAI estimate from your school to the nearest point (you might be able to go to the UNSW med website and see if you can find the application and CV forms there, there is a section the school has to fill out and it includes the UAI estimate. That's for the september round, for the december round they take real UAIs (for the people whose real UAIs were enough better than their estimate to get them an interview with their UMAT).
so my school will give the uni an estimate of my UAI?
how can dey do dat?
do dey use how well the school has done in the last year and use that scaling to scale ur current marks to estimate?
and so is there two interviews? the september one just a trial, but the december one is for real?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)