HARRY POTTER & THE HBP - what did you think? (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
Argonaut said:
Hey, I just got struck by a thought ... what if RAB isn't Regulus? What if RAB is ... Amy Benson, the girl Voldemort terrorised in the Cave?
Interesting idea. Rowling tends to only hint at things rather than repeatedly emphasise them (Eg: continued repetition of regulus) After all, if the 'girl form the cave' had no significance than why give her a name, that is suitable to the RAB initials (if what u say about the Marvolo-tom thing is true)

scoby_2000

HSC
The_highwayman said:
Interesting idea. Rowling tends to only hint at things rather than repeatedly emphasise them (Eg: continued repetition of regulus) After all, if the 'girl form the cave' had no significance than why give her a name, that is suitable to the RAB initials (if what u say about the Marvolo-tom thing is true)
i second with this.... and Highwayman's sig! :D

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
but she often gives random names to make the books seem more real, like when i am telling people an anecdote and someone they dont know who isnt important to the story i still mention their name.... either way interesting theory, iam glad u picked up on it.

H/G was pretty cool i was happy with that u rekcon the kids will have red hair?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Argonaut said:
Hey, I just got struck by a thought ... what if RAB isn't Regulus? What if RAB is ... Amy Benson, the girl Voldemort terrorised in the Cave? She suffered a wrong-doing at the hands of Riddle, she knew him personally and she knew about the Cave. But before you chuck my theory out the window because she doesn't have a name beginnng with 'R', what if Tom Riddle wasn't the only magic-user at the orphanage? If Tom Riddle's name had been Marvolo Tom Riddle (as opposed to Tom Marvolo) the people at the orphanage would probably have called him by his more common name. So the same goes for Amy Benson: what if she had a weird/unpronouncable wizarding name beginning with 'R' but since her middle name is Amy the orphanage staff simply called her by her middle name?
I like it.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
jennylim said:
and to the person who thought ronald didn't deserve hermione - i must say, in HBP hermione annoyed me so much i couldn't see what ron saw in her!! ron might be a bit more immature and have an inferiority complex, but he's fiercely loyal, funny, dependable and lovely. if he's not as brainy as her, then (in fleur's words) hermione has brains enough for two!!
loyal? he didn't trust harry on lots of occasions.
funny? you mean incompetent and clumsy which leads to humourous situations some more embarassing and humiliating then actually funny.
you can depend in him to be a prat who's more interested in girls which leads to loyalty again as he'll probably chase any skirt that's pretty.
lovely? wtf? in what way?!

jennylim

HSC
transcendent said:
loyal? he didn't trust harry on lots of occasions.
funny? you mean incompetent and clumsy which leads to humourous situations some more embarassing and humiliating then actually funny.
you can depend in him to be a prat who's more interested in girls which leads to loyalty again as he'll probably chase any skirt that's pretty.
lovely? wtf? in what way?!
i hate kloves!!!! sooo much!!!

by funny i mean he cracks jokes, makes the trio laugh and have fun in the BOOK. which he does on many occasions (some gutter humour like "uranus", admittedly, but other one-liners that just make them crack up and see the funny side). harry doesn't have much fun with hermione alone (GoF) and consistently wants ron there to have fun. (eg - imagining ron's expression hearing hermione talking about wonky faints). harry and ron together have heaps of fun (as seen throughout PoA when they're ignoring hermione) and ron and hermione together have loads of fun (again, see PoA when they go to hogsmeade and look like they'd had the "time of their lives"). ron is the part of the trio that provides the fun! hermione provides the brains and harry the intense courage and nobility. he is only stupid in the movies because they apparently need comic relief - you can't pay out harry the hero and kloves just loves hermione so ron gets shunted with the shit lines.

his loyalty is absolutely clear in PoA, where he tells sirius that he'd have to kill them all if he wanted to kill harry (no, hermione did NOT say these words even though kloves put them in her mouth!!). it's even there in PS when he immediately declares himself harry's "second" in the duel and when he sacrifices himself on the chess game. and at the end of HBP he was the one who told harry that he and hermione would be there with him. where does ron not trust him? apart from the early bit of GoF where his insecurity got the better of him, he was always on harry's side. see OotP - when hermione didn't believe him about sirius in the MoM, ron completely sided with harry. in HBP he didn't believe the malfoy-is-a-death-eater theory, but neither did hermione, mr weasley or lupin. that says nothing about his lack of loyalty - rather it says more about his skepticism of harry's theory and perhaps his overriding trust in dumbledore's judgment. no, ron is a completely loyal friend.

his protectiveness is clear when he defends hermione from malfoy (consistently), often getting punished for it (note harry never really does this, it's always ron who either tries to curse him or punch him) - and also defending harry in front of seamus in ootp. yes he went out with lavender. that was because his sister made him feel inadequate (basically that he was the last to be kissed and was pathetic for it), he was pretty cut to find out that hermione had kissed krum and never said anything and he was also really hurt that hermione had put down his good Keeping ability to the felix potion. but he now knows that there's more to a relationship than a pretty face. he definitely won't chase any more skirts. ron isn't a congenital prat, he only acts like one when goaded.

ron in the books is a great character. very realistically drawn, i think, with flaws, insecurities and all the trappings of teenage-dom coupled with a brave, fun-loving and caring personality.

ps: sorry about the furious rant, i just love ron very much and it hurts me to see him so maligned...especially in the movies.

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i agree with jenny, Ron is a great character,

for ages i have been trying to place the "feel" of the harry potter books. the original 4 had it but 5 didnt at all even though it was still a good book and 6 sort of had it but it was a bit different.

its like fun and exciting sort of feel that actually makes me laugh sometimes and its Ron that creates alot of this feel. Most of it comes whilst they are at Hogwarts and not in mortal danger.... its hard to explain but i am sure the real fans know what i am talking about. thats what i like about Harry Potter, the action is also very good and in fact there are probably heaps of different feelings from the book like in the action scenes and they actually give me a rush. But Ron is great, iam glad Harry isnt going off alone cause without Rons jokes and Hermoines sass the last book wouldnt feel right.

on another note did anyone else notice several seeming inconsistancies in the book? i dont know if they are actual inconsistancies or if they are intentional and will make sense inthe next book... like off the top of my head Harry when he was ontop of the tower and became unfrozen and the death eaters were running away.

p557 said:
He threw the Invisibility Cloak aside as the brutal-faced Death Eater, last to leave the Tower was disappearing through the door.
'Petrificus Totalus!'
The Death Eater buckled as though hit in the back with something solid, and fell to the ground, rigid as a waxwork
so it says here that Harry used petrificus Totalus on the deatheater but later Rufus Scrimgeour said that he Stupified him

p604 said:
'Somebody Stupefied a Death Eater on top of the Tower after Dumbledore died. There were also two broomsticks up there. The ministry can add two and two, Harry.'
so there you have it, one page says harry used petrificus totalus, another that he stupified a death eater. could just be a minor inconsistancy. but knowing J K i wouldnt put it past her for it to be a clue. i am not normally nit picky and if i thought it was a genuine mistake it wouldnt even bother me at all in the book and doesnt ditract from the story at all...BUT if it could be a clue then i am willing to note it.

what do u guys think? someone else was also up on the tower?

edit: could it have been R.A.B???

Last edited:

simmic

red-headed tensai
HSC
I like ron...really....

I just dont like ron paired with hermione... I dunno...to me it just doesnt seem right...

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
harry with hermione wud be so much better ... i mean harry never gave 2 squirts of piss about ginny until this book ..... personally i wanna see hermione and ginny fight over harry - cmon Rowling, give us a witch fite !

Ron is a champ - but frankly is a bit of a lost case and i rekon he shudda stayed with a random like lavender

simmic

red-headed tensai
HSC
guaranteered and want is quite different.

It may be guaranteered ron and hermione but people still have the right to want otherwise. Hehe....personally I like draco and hermione... but its not like THAT would ever happen!

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i dunno, draco could turn good, he was saved by his mother's love, he CRIED, he DIDNT kill dumby

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
that last book is gonna have to be like 1000 pages

i mean... how can an underqualified wizard such as harry beat the immensely talented half blood prince and his death eaters ????????

all the same - i cant wait for it >.<

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
i hope it is 1000 pages. i love super long books. especially one as anticipated as HP7. I hope the book just goes on for ages full of hexes, intrigue, mystery, action, violence and not so much of the 'you have love, harry' stuff. I want Malfoy to stay evil so he can be the next dark lord and there can be a SEQUEL! (not gunna happen...the sequel, that is. Rowling doesnt need ne more money) what is it gunna be called?!

scoby_2000

HSC
that is an interesting Q....i wonder what it will b called....hmmm

i think draco will turn good coz then theres like a moral behind the tale kinda thing...

writers like jk rowling arnt brave enough to say stuff like that...

it wud b like if frodo had kept the ring and had made the world evil!

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Serius said:
did anyone else notice several seeming inconsistancies in the book? i dont know if they are actual inconsistancies or if they are intentional and will make sense inthe next book... like off the top of my head Harry when he was ontop of the tower and became unfrozen and the death eaters were running away.

p557
"He threw the Invisibility Cloak aside as the brutal-faced Death Eater, last to leave the Tower was disappearing through the door.
'Petrificus Totalus!'
The Death Eater buckled as though hit in the back with something solid, and fell to the ground, rigid as a waxwork"

so it says here that Harry used petrificus Totalus on the deatheater but later Rufus Scrimgeour said that he Stupified him

p604
"'Somebody Stupefied a Death Eater on top of the Tower after Dumbledore died. There were also two broomsticks up there. The ministry can add two and two, Harry.' "

so there you have it, one page says harry used petrificus totalus, another that he stupified a death eater. could just be a minor inconsistancy. but knowing J K i wouldnt put it past her for it to be a clue. i am not normally nit picky and if i thought it was a genuine mistake it wouldnt even bother me at all in the book and doesnt ditract from the story at all...BUT if it could be a clue then i am willing to note it.

what do u guys think? someone else was also up on the tower?

edit: could it have been R.A.B???
aww noone has commented on the inconsistency i found. J K doesnt usually write errors in, so thats why i think it could be something else

what do you guys think it could be?

jennylim

HSC
serius: hmm, when i read it i put it down to scrimgeour making a mistake or just forgetting what he meant to say. but you're right, rowling usually does put in tiny clues that are often missable...we'll see bout this one. i doubt the RAB thing, because i think RAB (be s/he regulus A black, RA borgin/burke or R Amy Benson) is probably dead.

i have a couple of favourites: one is in CoS when harry is in filch's office and nick persuades peeves to drop the vanishing cabinet and break it - mere chapters after harry hides in the vanishing cabinet in borgin and burke's. another is in HBP when ron is apparating and misses madam puddifoot's (a girly teashop lavender might like) and goes in front of scrivenschaft's (the quill shop hermione likes)...hehe..i LOVE things like that. blink-and-you'll-miss them details.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
hmm serius - jkr might just've made a mistake :p

argonaut's theory on amy benson is very interesting. uggh anything to do with the cave is so disturbing, everytime i think about it i shiver... especially how riddle lured them in there and terrorised them. i assume both of them were quite a bit younger than him, since he says to dumbledore "little amy benson"

and yes, i love all the clues in the books. they're brilliant. happy belated birthday JKR... and harry!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)