HARRY POTTER & THE HBP - what did you think? (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
bubz :D said:
half-blood prince - did harry even stop to think that the HBP might've been voldemort? (yes, even though we've always been told that it wouldn't be him) i mean, 50 years old - riddle's diary was also 50 years old... and he never even thought about the fact that snape is obviously brilliant at potions.

the portrait - in answer to someone's question some pages ago, yes his portrait is up in the headmaster's office already. this brings me some comfort, as harry can surely go back to hogwarts for advice from "dumbledore"? and as he said in OoTP, the most celebrated heads have their portraits in other important institutions... would dumbly's be in the ministry? probably not. hmmm.

rumour - yes, better than book 5. PMS harry is gone, he's quite mature in this book.
Hope the HBP is explained further cos I felt like it was a really half assed job in this book. Its like "huh?". The most significant thing I can gather is the way Harry was fooled into trusting it and she (JK) alluded that perhaps Dumbledore was in the same position with Snape and trusting him. God, I hope thats not what made DD trust Snape cos thats so retarded. I want a more impressive and dramatic reason like an Unbreakable Curse with huge implications.

Thank God for the portrait. I forgot about it completely until I read this thread but how do you know his portrait is already up bubz?

I still love OOTP more. I so badly want to like/love this book but I just can't. It felt like a bunch of randoms thrown together and i get the feeling I wasnt as irked as most people at Harry's PMS attitude in book 5. Book 5 was so thrilling. i remember loving every page. This book? I almost got bored halfway through. I was thinking "wtf!? im bored?!" The romances were annoying, lupin/tonks is so fanfic, the unanswered questions....well. I guess this is part of JK's tool to really set things up for the last book. It better be worth it :(

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Sarah168 said:
how do you know his portrait is already up bubz
pg 584:

...And a new portrait had joined the ranks of the dead headmasters and headmistresses of Hogwarts ... Dumbledore was slumbering in a golden frame over the desk, his half-moon spectacles perched upon his crooked nose, looking peaceful and untroubled.

that was when i was absolutely sure he was dead :( (yes, i KNOW avada kedavra is fatal, thank you, but hey, it's dumbledore!)

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
ahhhh *big sigh of relief* dumbly is not gone :D i was reading some of book 4 and 5 and he always says that death isnt the most tragic thing to happen anyway...hmm *ponders*

i was sure he was dead when the immobilising thing came off ...i also had that inkling of "he's dumbeldore...avada kedavra is NOTHING..." but the spoiler rung in my head and I knew he was a goner :(

the last laugh
HSC
my friend and i were discussing whether HARRY might be the seventh horcrux...

(handcuffed = bubz)

Billy says:
there is one we have NO idea about...
Billy says:
he killed his mother...
Billy says:
imparted his powers on harry when he did so
Billy says:
ended up RIPPED in TWO after he killed them!!!
Billy says:
and voldemort wants NO ONE to kill harry!!

(handCUFFED) says:
would he have had time to do the magic to put it in harry?
Billy says:
does it take long?
Billy says:
maybe its like an extra thought when killing someone...
(handCUFFED) says:
why would V want to put it in harry if he was going to kill him?

but now that you've talked abut it... i mean, he has some of V's powers... dumbledore said that it's better obviously to place it in an inanimate thing... and we don't know about side effects etc
(handCUFFED) says:
hmm
Billy says:
theres a link between the two that we cannot ignore
(handCUFFED) says:
voldemort asked slughorn what the bit of magic to make a horcrux (or whatever) was...

Billy says:
and do you remember dumbeldore saying that he wanted to create a horcrux when he killed harry
Billy says:
wait
Billy says:
that invalidates the theory eh
Billy says:
cause he did try to kill harry...
Billy says:
its not like, he tried to kill harrys mother...
Billy says:
his aim was harry
Billy says:
okay, theory is invalid
Billy says:
lol

jennylim

HSC
jebbie said:
Yes. But I know Jenny. So it makes it totally different. Besides she's read all of the books before I have. I havent even decided if I'm going to buy it yet :\
haha jebbie i read it on the first day...my sister and i both did, actually. about 4 and a half hours each. she got it first though, grrrrrrrr. and yes! buy it!! in my opinion it's one of the best!!!

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
bubz :D said:
pg 584:

...And a new portrait had joined the ranks of the dead headmasters and headmistresses of Hogwarts ...

that was when i was absolutely sure he was dead
Sigh, i agree. i was holding on to this tiny hope that he might be reborn, or that maybe Dumby had created his OWN horcrux(not likely, but hey) unfortunately the portrait confirmed everything i hoped hadnt happened.

Samie_Loo

quacktacular
HSC
i f**ken <<<333 that book... i mean dumbledore was good... and the only wizard that voldemort feared but... harry has i guess proven his worth... im frustrated that the next book wont come out for so long... :chainsaw: but it'll finish the whole story... i think harry will kill voldemort but die aswell... maybe... he cant live forever... unless he creates that hoxcrue thing when killing him... hmmmm

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
The_highwayman said:
Sigh, i agree. i was holding on to this tiny hope that he might be reborn, or that maybe Dumby had created his OWN horcrux(not likely, but hey) unfortunately the portrait confirmed everything i hoped hadnt happened.
omg, i DONT think Dumbledore would create his own horcrux :eek:

the last laugh
HSC
Sarah168 said:
omg, i DONT think Dumbledore would create his own horcrux :eek:
well, dumbledore would've had to have "committed the supreme act of evil" - and i doubt he's ever murdered anyone. i dont know whether he actually killed grindelwald (sp), but he was highly respected for his conquer.

in any case, dumbledore isn't (wasn't :() evil, let alone create his own horcrux :p

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
bubz, its "he isnt" evil cos as long as there remains people loyal to him at Hogwarts, he will always be there :(

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Maybe Dumbeldore is a horcrux of Voldermot's? Perhaps Albus knew this?

...Nah, too far out there. Although theres definatly more to that scene than 'Snape turned evil and killed Dumbledore' Theres an infinate number of possibilities. Snape has been too much an anomoly for JKR to just turn him so quickly.

Also, I'm putting money of RAB being Regulus, that Harry will spend the entire 7th book seraching for a locket, across the planet, only to find it right under his nose, something he inherited.

Random thoughts, I actually though 'RAB' could stand for 'Rodolphus And Bella' which would be been funny, however unlikley.

In regards to the 'Half Blood Prince', there is more to that than just being the half blood son of a 'Prince', perhaps even just his bloodlines will come to to play an important part in book 7. There is so much more to Snape, and I'm actually kinda worried - while we had many questions answered (like the age old Blaise question ;)) yet it opened up so many more aboutr Severus!

shortie_689

HSC
i just finished it oh i cried how sad am i...

oh dear i even cried when harry broke up with ginny i had it all planned out in my head harry an ginny where gonna get married an now there goes that idea down the drain

_Bushra_

wtf?!
Hoping to befriend somebody nice at club MQ *freak
HSC
I just finished and I didnt find Dumbledores death THAT sad. Like I have always loved him but GOSH when he was just having a nice chat with draco HELLO he must of known he was going to die...and where did his wand go?

I found the last chapter the saddest when Harry was like im not going to school anymore

I was smiling like crazy when ginny and harry kissed ::):):):)

lol they went out for a whole week LOL :)

Josephine

HSC
As a whole, I quite enjoyed the book. I loved the plot, Harry's maturity, Harry and Dumbledore's relationship, how both characters were able to learn from their mistakes in OotP, the whole Horcrux concept, the back story of Tom Riddle (which chilled me a little), Slughorn (lol) and yeah. Although some parts were predictable - eg. Snape as the HBP. It came as a bit of a shock to me, but when you actually go back and read it, it's RIGHT OUT THERE for readers to see (I'm just a bit dense ;)). And I was expecting Dumbledore's death, but it was still absolutely heartbreaking. As well as Harry having to force-feed that potion to Dumbledore. *wibbles* Snape is still an enigma I suppose. Like lots of people have mentioned earlier, he's probably working on his own agenda, not for any particular side.

The thing that REALLY bugged me the most was the characterisation of Hermione. Besides the fact that I'm a Harry/Hermione shipper, and didn't particularly want Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione, Hermione's character just bugged the hell out of me. She's sulky, jealous, cheating, and snogging other stupid guys such as McLaggen just to get Ron jealous? And Harry's sudden love for Ginny was a bit weird for me as well. Though I have to say that the Harry/Ginny stuff grew on me after a while. I could've coped with Ron/Hermione if JKR wrote and handled it better and didn't stuff Hermione's character.

But hey, HP is about the story primary, and shipping secondary. This is JKR's world.

Originally posted by White Rabbit
Random thoughts, I actually though 'RAB' could stand for 'Rodolphus And Bella' which would be been funny, however unlikley.
Lol! That'd be funny. I'm betting on Regulus being R.A.B., but it seems a bit obvious, considering the rate at how people have guessed that. It makes sense. I have no idea who else it might be.

the last laugh
HSC
_Bushra_ said:
I just finished and I didnt find Dumbledores death THAT sad. Like I have always loved him but GOSH when he was just having a nice chat with draco HELLO he must of known he was going to die...and where did his wand go?
expelliarmus?

i finished reading again, and i realised how many little things i'd missed.

and i sobbed even harder than the first time. even though (the first time i read it), i knew it was coming, it didn't make his death any less sad.

persephone

HSC
I'm liking the book better now after having had time to think it through. I still find it a bit disappointing in parts. And it is such a shame that Dumbledore died. I'll never forget where I was when I heard the news either...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)