Hardest topic in General? (1 Viewer)

hiimhere11

HSC
Hey, i'm currently considering dropping from 2u Maths to General, and I'm wondering what aspect of General is the hardest.
thanks.

Ezzz1990

HSC
Yes I largely argee with Pattie. Financial maths is the hardest (annuities etc.), the execution isn't so difficult but interpreting the question correctly can be difficult. The important thing about doing general maths is to make sure you regularly practice a few questions (perhaps 10-15 questions from your topic a week), otherwise you tend to forget how to do things, which is what I found got people in trouble (especially those who drop down from 2U, who generally think you can get away with no work in General, I dropped down from 2U halfway through Year 11 but I worked really hard on it). I got 93 in my HSC for General, so practicing does pay off!

Tophel

HSC
N/A
The biggest problem with people dropping from 2U to G is that G is NOT an easier version of 2U. Yes, G is a LOT easier than 2U but they have TOTALLY (almost) different content! This means that if you are dropping it in yr 12, you would have missed out a whole years' work (which you will need to catch up on). So you can't just sit back like many people think.

The other issue is scaling/marks. Scaling is not good and it IS an easy subject so people will score well. This means you can't make stupid mistakes! A few stupid mistakes can easily drop your mark badly. What this means is that you practice, practice, practice, so that you can basically do it in your sleep. This reduces chances of making silly errors. You may know how to do the question but if you don't practice RELENTLESSLY, you're gonna stuff up in the actual exam.

Finally, if you are struggling badly with like prelim 2U (eg consistent fails), I think you definitely need to bail. It only gets worse. But just make sure you are not complacent when dropping to G and practice from day 1!

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
The hardest topic in general is called Yr8 maths..... Oh wait :music:

Just joking general maths is tough shit, watch out for that probability .

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
The biggest problem with people dropping from 2U to G is that G is NOT an easier version of 2U. Yes, G is a LOT easier than 2U but they have TOTALLY (almost) different content! This means that if you are dropping it in yr 12, you would have missed out a whole years' work (which you will need to catch up on). So you can't just sit back like many people think.

The other issue is scaling/marks. Scaling is not good and it IS an easy subject so people will score well. This means you can't make stupid mistakes! A few stupid mistakes can easily drop your mark badly. What this means is that you practice, practice, practice, so that you can basically do it in your sleep. This reduces chances of making silly errors. You may know how to do the question but if you don't practice RELENTLESSLY, you're gonna stuff up in the actual exam.

Finally, if you are struggling badly with like prelim 2U (eg consistent fails), I think you definitely need to bail. It only gets worse. But just make sure you are not complacent when dropping to G and practice from day 1!
+1 I must agree

HSC
there is really is no hard topics in general, but probably probability, its the wording of the questions that make it a-bit difficult. But if you manage to read the questions carefully, then it won't be so hard.

btw keep 2unit, not in terms of scaling but in terms of content as it's more linear.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Da answer is A.

For percentages you put it on the bottom of the fraction.
Cheers for hte tip man, thanks for tutoring me in gen, I managed to get 1%, recommend RealiseNothing for tutoring if you have the "cash"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)