Hard Questions (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
Yeh lol i was talking about the integral, the second question made my eyes glaze
The brutal way to do it is just to let u^2=tan(x), followed by another substitution and then the partial fractions is tedious.

But it's been asked quite a few times on the 2015 integration marathon, with a variety of answers.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I think the wording of the original post was the main reason for lots of posting of "joke" questions.

(Original post:
Tbh, i am just bored. Could someone post some very hard math problems.
thanks
)

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
The brutal way to do it is just to let u^2=tan(x), followed by another substitution and then the partial fractions is tedious.

But it's been asked quite a few times on the 2015 integration marathon, with a variety of answers.
hmm
why can't you use reverse chain rule btw? (I know you can't but I don't understand why)

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Nah like y=(tanx)^1/2, so the integral is [2((tanx)^3/2)] /[ 3(secx)^2]

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Where is the necessary factor of sec^2{x} ? Without the presence of sec^2{x}, an arbitrary function of tanx is most likely impossible to integrate by elementary means.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
The dividing by the derivative of tan(x) won't work because tan(x) isn't a linear function. We can only generally do this (divide by the derivative of the function) if that function is linear (ax+b (a non-zero)).

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
The dividing by the derivative of tan(x) won't work because tan(x) isn't a linear function. We can only generally do this (divide by the derivative of the function) if that function is linear (ax+b (a non-zero)).
oh right that makes sense
i just realised it doesn't work (by trying) that it doesn't work with non-linear functions
i thought you could use it with something like (x^2+3)^3

thankies

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Yeah. Well that's hard. But jokes aside, do you know that the Riemann Zeta function WAS actually examined in the HSC in 1975? So here is a not-so-hard question - HSC 1975 4 unit Q9i:

See if you can do it.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Yeah. Well that's hard. But jokes aside, do you know that the Riemann Zeta function WAS actually examined in the HSC in 1975. So here is a not-so-hard question - HSC 1975 4 unit Q9i:

See if you can do it.
The Riemann zeta function was in the HSC syllabus before, right?

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Here is a somewhat harder question.

Suppose dn=sum of positive divisors of n, hn=1/1+1/2+...+1/n and fn=hn+ehnlnhn.

Prove that for n>1, fn>dn.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
The Riemann zeta function was in the HSC syllabus before, right?
I think the point is that convergence was in the syllabus before. And I mean more formal methods of proof thereof - not the Mickey Mouse hand wavy waffle that we see now in the current syllabus.

The non-Mickey Mouse version present before allows for such questions to be easily dealt with, but unfortunately with the current dumbed down syllabus, most students won't have a clue how to deal with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)