Handwritten VS Typed (1 Viewer)

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
I welcome you to the first thread (in what I'm sure will be many this year,) on an age-old debate topic;

Do you handwrite your notes, or type them?

I'm interested to hear from my fellow HSC '10er's!

Last year I did a bit of a combination to see what I liked...

I found that I liked handwriting a lot better in most subjects, particularly chemistry and english. I typed my biology notes last year and they were pretty successful, but I think I'll go for hand written this year as I have so many frees at school and I can work on them without a computer.

Last edited:

conch575

HSC
Handwriting, I find it much easier to "format" my work when I'm handwriting. Also, when I type, I cannot recall anything that I've typed, when you right you have to think about what you're writing.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
I type most of mine- my handwriting is pretty illegible, and especially for chem where I make them all through the term, it's easier to edit them and add new info. Plus, I share a lot of my notes with people who need them, which is heaps easier when they're typed. The only thing I handwrite is all my maths formulae on one sheet in multicoloured texta. That's the only way I can make myself look at them before the exam =\

mostwanted092

HSC
im doing the HSC at the moment and it really depends on the person. my bio teacher said she felt comfortable with typing them up (BUT you cant play music other than classical, yes classical, music - and you should do notes everytime you finish it at school) because its neater and more pleasant to read. whilst othrs prefer handwritten notes as they can retain a lot more.

it depends on how you learn a guess, i suggest you go to the free TSFX lectures and anything else which enables you to figure out what kind of learner you are. (yer, there are different "types" of learners)

=)

tonyharrison

HSC
Typed notes are perfection.

The only thing i handwrite is practise english essays - which i've already sent to my teacher, and maths past papers...cause typing them would be stupid.

<3 my physics, modern and geo notes XD

HSC
I always handwrote my notes at school, because the process of making notes was pretty much my best study technique.

BUT whether handwriting v typing is best depends on how you want the notes to function.

IF you want to make notes consistently through the year for the purpose of keeping track of what has been done so far (ie dotpoints) and to use as more of a study aid, then I'd say type them. That way you can edit with new knowledge and format them better. Then you have a set of reference notes.

HOWEVER, if you're like me and only made notes as a way to cram for exams, then handwrite them. Here, formatting/editing is almost unneccessary, as for this purpose you probably won't have that long to do them. If say you handwrite your half-yearly notes, before trials you can then type them up and edit them that way.

IDK, its up to each of you. These are just my thoughts.

For the record, I was never very organised, so thats why I handwrote my notes. I also get way too distracted if on the computer.

EDIT: It took me so long to write this that everyone else above has practically repeated me. Sorry!

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
im doing the HSC at the moment and it really depends on the person. my bio teacher said she felt comfortable with typing them up (BUT you cant play music other than classical, yes classical, music - and you should do notes everytime you finish it at school) because its neater and more pleasant to read. whilst othrs prefer handwritten notes as they can retain a lot more.

it depends on how you learn a guess, i suggest you go to the free TSFX lectures and anything else which enables you to figure out what kind of learner you are. (yer, there are different "types" of learners)

=)
Yes, I did philosophy last year and we learnt all about multiple intelligences, I'm a visual learner, slightly linguistic and intrapersonal. :)

I love listening to classical music whilst studying! When I did maths I found I could listen to other types, because the lyrics didn't interfere with the numbers because... they're... words... Mm, but that may just be me :p

I like formatting my handwritten notes too. And I have neat handwriting when I WANT to be neat... Exam adrenalin does some crazy things to my legibility...

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
The benefit of typed is that yes, you can go back and edit stuff in, but I generally won't put all my school stuff into the dot points until we have everything, and I use some other people's notes on BOS as a guide, + 2 different text books, so I'm hoping not to miss anything as I go.

My classes do the dot points in order too, which helps.

If there is something missing I'll just put a little asterisk and insert another page after it with the relevant info...

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
Write.

I honestly don't remember a single thing I read or write on a computer. Probably fortunate considering the websites I find myself on at times.

Jaylee42003

HSC
I handwrite my notes. And will pos rep anybody who's in agreement with me so far :p
I tried typing my notes but then I just wasn't motivated, plus I was more tempted to write much more than I normally would by hand because of the ease of typing, but then never remember any of it.

So - handwriting all the way. Go out and buy study books like I did (plain exercise books) and then get going!

BTW Idk if anybody else gets this, but if I don't fill the notebook up, I feel guilty looking at it, in all of its unfilled-page glory. I guess that's kind of an incentive for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)