Half Yearly Exams Quick Revision (1 Viewer)

lilsxcwog89

Lazy Ass
HSC
Seeing that the half yearly examinations are approaching us imminently I thought I'd start a forum where we can each ask question and have the answered by fellow Legal Studies students.

Evaluate the effectiveness of the law in achieving justice for INDIVIDUALS and SOCIETY

:) :) :)

Last edited:

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
lol thats a pretty hard question...

you should have started with like... elements of crime, parties to a crime, criminal justice process, distinguish between a summary and indictable offence, types of crimes etc... plus things on Law and society and Human rights like... natural law, rule of law, equity, equality of outcomes, formal equality, differntiating between international and domestic law; public and private law; Adversarial system and inquisitorial system......

but to answer your question....

for the individuals... you'd need a criteria.... one that everyone uses and should use! is this one

Resource Efficiency
Accessibility - Time (i.e. Delays), Cost, Knowledge
Protection of rights
Equality before the law
Enforceability

For Society:
Appeals
Rights :Individual & community
Standards
Efficiency

For the society evaluation... there was another principle.. i think the SOBRR one... not too sure... if anybody knows... plz msg back... i was trying to look for it cuz i remember coming across it in one of the threads... :)

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
well unique princess... my half yrly consists of 2 crime extended responses aswell...
one that is structured (stimulus) ABCD style... and the other is like an extended response where u just answer the question (unstructured)

and for my half yrly... im pretty certain, judging from our focus areas in class, revision etc....

my Stimulus style Reponse is going to be about the Criminal Justice Process as my teacher asked us to know as much as we can about the "Criminal Justive Process" and "Evaluate the Criminal Justice System"...

however for the second extended response, it is, most likely... an extended response to do with a current Criminal Justice Issue... where he asked us to:
Define the issue, state the main legal issues and Evaluate the effectiveness of legal measures in addressing the issue.....

and to answer ur question... im probably scared of the multiple choice questions.... thats prolly my weak point... whens ur half yrlies?
mine is next friday for legal studies... by now everyone should b almost complete with their revision notes....

if you have any queries to the extended responses... or Like the Criminal Process just write back here... ill try and help ya out...

hope that helps hehe

cheers

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
In an earlier post i mentioned the possible revision questions... and ill just give u all some points in answering them... not the full answer.... k?

Types of Crime:
state, persons, economic, white collar, regulatory, public order, drug, traffic, victimless, preliminary....

DIFFERNTIATIONS:

COMMON LAW SYSTEM VS CIVIL LAW SYSTEM

for common law system
- developed: Decision made by courts, "case law" rather than Statute
- features = Doctrine of Precedent, Rules of Equity, Adversarial system of trial
- Origin: England (british) Countries who use it: NZ, Australia Canada 2 name a few

for civil law system
- Developed: Made by the governments rather than the courts which has been derived from Roman Law
- Features: Codified system of law, Made by Governments, Inquisitorial system of trial
- Countries: France, Germany, Italy.... Western European Countries

ADVERSARIAL SYSTEM VS INQUISITORIAL SYSTEM

for Adversarial system
- Feature: Common Law system along with Doctrine Of Precedent
- Parties 'adverse', oppose one another and present their version of events (truth)
- Judge is an impartial arbitrator and applies the law
- free from personal bias

for inquisitorial system
- Feature: Civil Law system
- Parties do oppose one another (present at court), but the Parties provide their version of events to the judge
- Judge is a partial arbitrator; asking question to both parties to determine what is the truth and decide the case from there
- Known as 'Inquisitorial' due to the "Inquisition" of the Judge
- questions allow a deeper and wider scope

PUBLIC LAW VS PRIVATE LAW

For public law
- Deals with matters that affect society as a whole
- Laws that deal the relationship between the individual and the state, or any jurisdiction
- E.g. Criminal Law, Administrative Law, Constitutional law

for Private Law
- Often referred to as the law of contract or tort
- Developed as a result of disputes arising between private individuals
- use primarily to settle disputes between individuals
- e.g. Contract law, Torts, Family law, "damage to ones property"

DEFENCES TO A CRIME
Complete Defences:
Mental illness
Accident of Error
Necessity
Duress
Aaccident or error
Consent
Self defence

Partial Defences:
Provocation
Intoxication
Diminished Repsonsibility
Abuse excuse, BWS (Battered Wife Syndrome)

Parties to a Crime:
Principal in the 1st Degree - Actual perpetrator (person who committed the crime)
Principal in the 2nd Degree - Person their at the time of the crime
Accessory Before the Act - Person who pre-planned the crime with the Perpetrator
Accessory Aftr the Act - Person who helped aftr the committing of the crime e.g. Driving them away...

Rights that GLOBAL CITIZENS HAVE:

Found in "the Universal Declaration of Human Rights" 1948

Article 26 - Universal Education - Right to Education
Article 23 - Trade Unionism - Right to form and to join Trade unions
Aticle 4 - Freedom from Slavery
Universal Suffrage - Right to be an active citizen and Right to vote

thats all for now... hoope that helps.... til next time :)

lilsxcwog89

Lazy Ass
HSC
INDIVIDUALS

Remeber the acronym PAREE

Protection of individual rights (before, during and after the criminal process)

Accessibility (Legal aid, cost of lawyers e.t.c)

Resource Efficiency (lengthy nature of criminal trials)

Enforceablility (Police / Judicial powers)

Equality (Acheiving a just outcome)

SOCIETY

Remember the acronoym BOLRAR

Balance of indivual rights and values and community rights and values

Opportunities for enforcement

Law as a reflection of community standards and expectations

Resource efficiency

Appeals

Reviews

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
Need help plzz :)

How would you evaluate the effectiveness of legal measures for Extradition????

do we still use the RAPEE, BOLRAR principle :S?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Yep, here you go, this is what I did and its the style my teacher liked so just use it as an example as I have not used it in an HSC exam, hope it helps. (Just remember you cant always address all the criteria so do which ones apply)

What are the factors that limit the effectiveness of Extradition?

Extradition is not effective because it does not promote individuals’ justice in the areas of enforceability, balancing the community rights with individuals’ rights and protecting individuals’ rights. In order for extradition to be effective it must be able to be carried out by nation States. This effectiveness is limited by the principle of State Sovereignty, rule of law and enforceability of international law.

Criteria 1: Enforceability

The principle of State sovereignty places limits on the enforceability of extradition. This principle gives the nation-states the right to make laws for the citizens within their boundaries without fearing interference from other nation states or the international community. Thus an act that is criminalized in one country may not be considered criminal in another, an issue then arises when an accused/convicted flees from one jurisdiction to another which does not criminalise the act or its punishment is not as or more serious than imprisonment. As extradition treaties generally require the act to be criminal in both nation states and to carry a sentence of imprisonment or something more severe, thus if this is not met, extradition can not occur and domestic criminal law cannot be enforced.

Another limitation to the enforceability is that nation states also have the right to choose whether or not to enter into Extradition agreements, thus due to the principle of state sovereignty they can not be compelled to enter such agreements, this can result in accused/convicted people fleeing their jurisdiction to a jurisdiction which has not signed such a treaty and therefore escaping criminal charges.

Once such treaties are entered into they promote the effectiveness and enforceability of extradition as the parties are bound by the terms of the treaty (pactus sunt servanda) pursuant to article 38(1) ICJ Statute a breech of such a treaty would be against international law.

Criteria 2: Balancing individuals and the society’s rights

Extradition fails to have a balance between protecting community rights and individuals’ rights. Some countries also have other terms which dictate if extradition will be carried out. Countries, such as Mexico and Canada, will not extradite to nations with the death penalty unless it will not be applied to the accused. Others will not extradite for political crimes. People fleeing the jurisdiction may flee to such nations to attempt to evade justice. This again limits the enforceability of extradition.

Countries which have the rule of law as a basis of their legal system may not extradite on the basis of evidence which has been illegally obtained or is not substantive enough or if the accused will not receive a fair trial, this respects the rights of the accused however the rights of society and the victims are not being protected, this may also make certain countries ‘sanctuaries’ for those who have committed an extraditable offence. Hence, the rights of individuals and the society are not protected effectively and are not balanced.

Therefore, extradition is not effective as it cannot overcome barriers that limit enforceability and protecting rights of both individuals and the society. In order for extradition to be effective it must be able to override State Sovereignty, so that domestic criminal law can be enforced. In addition, there should be a common extradition law that all States must obey so that States do not have the power to stop another Sate from enforcing their domestic criminal law.

Sorry its not that comprehensive but I cant find anything else that I had, I hope its at least a bit useful.

lilsxcwog89

Lazy Ass
HSC
Another question

What are the parites to a crime

What are the elements of a crime

What purposes do certain punishments propose

What types of penalties exist

Oultine the main crime prevention techniques

Dimorphic

HSC
Parties to a crime are:
Principal in the First Degree (the one who commits the crime)
Principal in the Second Degree (one who helps commit the crime)
Accessory before the Fact (one who helps plan the crime)
Accesory After the Fact (one who helps the criminals after the crime e.g, hides them)

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
time to holiday... no more revision... may this thread b vanished and dug up for next yrs 07'ers....

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
lol u should b sleeping... having a nice dream about how u went good or shit in the exam.. reliving the moments of knowing what to write for the extended response about the crime stimulus.. lolz... fuck life is cruel ... should b ovr the cruelness when we are done!! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)