guitars (1 Viewer)

Kawaii Mz Re

HSC
hey there, you know how u hold down the strings with ur left hand if ur a right hander...is there a way to avoid ur fingertips becoming really hard? :( becauase i love my guitar but i still want my hands to be soft >.<

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Mine are soft, just depends on how your skin will react.

Also, with more practice you don't actually want to be pressing that hard, because it slows you down when playing notes in quick succession.

sirfeathers

HSC
no pain no gain! when you play regularly they stop being hard and become kindof "leathery", but seriously, it's not that bad. if it didn't happen your fingertips would just bruise and blister, which wouldn't be that great either!

Pauly2317

HSC
yes practice, practice practice, but on a more serious topic, why is there no thread for guitarist on BoS?, we should crawl from our hiding places on other forums and create our own on BoS, after all this wonderful instrument deserves a home on BoS

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Pauly2317 said:
yes practice, practice practice, but on a more serious topic, why is there no thread for guitarist on BoS?, we should crawl from our hiding places on other forums and create our own on BoS, after all this wonderful instrument deserves a home on BoS
Yeah, no.

chamelia

HSC
No. I used to get so many blisters when I played and I tried putting bandaids over my fingers to stop it - but yeh they slipped off considerably easier than I expected.

So you just keep playing with bleeding fingers - cos it's all worth it.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I have never ever had problems with my fingers, they have always been fine, even when i first started

sirfeathers

HSC
Pauly2317 said:
i concur!

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
Kawaii Mz Re said:
hey there, you know how u hold down the strings with ur left hand if ur a right hander...is there a way to avoid ur fingertips becoming really hard? :( becauase i love my guitar but i still want my hands to be soft >.<
after u play with ur axe...
play with ur axe wound

thats my hot tip

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
get lighter strings.

Won't stop the callousing but it'll make it less prevalent.

other than that, play moar guitar.

ShowStopper

HSC
lol, my advice to you would be to: have a break from the guitar and play some guitar hero:D

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
If you want to be successful at guitar you seriously have to have formed callouses which come from playing.
This makes it much, much easier to play I have found (especially any dodgy chords or solo parts) and once they harden up then it doesn't hurt if you play for long periods of time.

I would recommend not picking up an acoustic guitar if you want to avoid this then getting hard of quitting all together really, no decent guitarist out there has "soft fingers".

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
No you don't :| Strength doesn't come from having callouses, that just means you've been playing a lot, doesn't make you any better or worse if your technique is wrong.

Last edited:

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
I play a few times a week, and have over a number of years and the tips of the fingers on my right hand are harder but its not a matter of great importance. One of my old guitar teachers had indentations in his fingertips from the strings, it was nice

Anyway my advice is either harden up, play tony iommi style or take up the recorder

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
hahahahaha...

hahahahaha...

of course they are gonna go hard and peely...you are moving your fingers around metal...

maybe get a classical guitar with nylon strings...

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Classical Nylon strings will still do it, they'll just take less of an impact. Normally guitars want to find ways to make they're callouses appear faster. :)

Basically, its part and parcel of playing the guitar. If you really don't want them, your going to have to cut down the amount you play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)