Guidance On How To Become An Investment Banker And Ideal Pathways + ATAR (1 Viewer)

maryjane05

HSC
Going to keep it very short and concise. I am in year 11. I want to pursue a high end finance job such as investment banking, private equity etc. Does anybody qualified to speak have any advice for me regarding an ideal ATAR range and what pathways/courses to pursue?

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
I too am in year 11 and wish to pursue IB. Just for a disclaimer though as I am neither a current IB nor a graduate I can't give you any certain advice. However, as I've been looking into it I can regurgitate some info back to you.

There are no definite pathways to enter IB however the combination of courses and unis to get in can be organised in a matrix. Group of 8/sandstone unis are the most desirable with USyd and UMelb being clear targets. Some combination of commerce in a double degree is favourable but comm/law (for some reason) is the most sought after by IB recruiters. Overall, the matrix would go something like this: (correct me if I'm wrong BTW)

God tier unis
Usyd
Umelb
Target unis
UNSW
Monash
ANU
UQueensland
Semi-target
UTS
Maq
UWA
UAdelaide
UTasmania
Non-target
Newcastle
Wollongong
WSU
Some others that aren't in sydney
God tier courses
Law/comm
Jordan BelfortTargetSemi-targetNon-target
Target courses
Comm and Computing/Actuary/Math/something quantitative
Doing an honours year is also favoured for whatever you do
TargetSemi-targetNon-target
Other comm double degreeSemi-targetNon-target
Straight commNon-target
Non comm

The ATAR range for Comm/law at Usyd or Umelb is around 99.5. I don't think I'll even get that.
The ATAR for something like UNSW or ANU Comm/law is around 97 which is what I'm aiming for atm. (Beware for UNSW comm/law you'll have to sit the LAT)
For Comm/quantitative major it can vary from high 99's to low 90's. For these, it's best to do your course to a high standard (High distinction + honours if possible) to set yourself apart.

Whatever you do, ensure you're doing some decent extra-curriculars like finance society or investing society or something like that. It's best to be on the leadership team for these. In your interview you'll have to make up some story about being passionate about finance at a young age or some BS. EC's provide at least evidence that you do genuinely want to go into IB and are not there for the money.

This post on WallStreetOasis has some good advice: https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forum/investment-banking/qa-australian-ib-life-etc

Last edited:

weedlord420

HSC
If you want to pursue investment banking, its important to be both good at maths and have an understanding of things that affect businesses/economies, as a lot of what you're doing (at least at the entry level) will be data processing and analysis. I'd recommend business studies (especially business studies), economics, and maths advanced or above.

ATAR-wise for courses, you'd be looking at anywhere from an 75 to a 95 depending on where you want to study, what pathways you want to take, etc. Investment banking is based very firmly on networking and knowing people in order to gain the experience necessary to progress in the field. With that in mind, I'd try to aim for a higher ATAR and to get into a more reputable uni such as USyd or UNSW. There, you're more likely to have chances to obtain internships with firms, and to meet people who could help you get ahead in your career.

Remember, investment banking is a high salary job, meaning its very competitive to get into the industry, so if you take away anything from this, work efficiently, make plans and goals, and good luck!

weedlord420

HSC
I too am in year 11 and wish to pursue IB. Just for a disclaimer though as I am neither a current IB nor a graduate I can't give you any certain advice. However, as I've been looking into it I can regurgitate some info back to you.

There are no definite pathways to enter IB however the combination of courses and unis to get in can be organised in a matrix. Group of 8/sandstone unis are the most desirable with USyd and UMelb being clear targets. Some combination of commerce in a double degree is favourable but comm/law (for some reason) is the most sought after by IB recruiters. Overall, the matrix would go something like this: (correct me if I'm wrong BTW)

God tier unis
Usyd
Umelb
Target unis
UNSW
Monash
ANU
UQueenslands
Semi-target
UTS
Maq
UWA
UAdelaide
UTasmania
God tier courses
Law/comm
Jordan BelfortTargetSemi-target
Target courses
Straight commNon-target
Non comm

The ATAR range for Comm/law at Usyd or Umelb is around 99.5. I don't think I'll even get that.
The ATAR for something like UNSW or ANU Comm/law is around 97 which is what I'm aiming for atm. (Beware for UNSW comm/law you have to sit the LAT)
For Comm/quantitative major it can vary from high 99's to low 90's. For these, it's best to do your course to a high standard (High distinction + honours if possible) to set yourself apart.

Whatever you do, ensure you're doing some decent extra-curriculars like finance society or investing society or something like that. It's best to be on the leadership team for these. In your interview you'll have to make up some story about being passionate about finance at a young age or some BS. EC's provide at least evidence that you do genuinely want to go into IB and are not there for the money.

This post on WallStreetOasis has some good advice: https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forum/investment-banking/qa-australian-ib-life-etc
Least detailed and informative Sydney student reply 😭

sheppy123

HSC

God tier unis
Usyd
Umelb
Target unis
UNSW
Monash
ANU
UQueensland
Semi-target
UTS
Maq
UWA
UAdelaide
UTasmania
Non-target
Newcastle
Wollongong
WSU
Some others that aren't in sydney
God tier courses
Law/comm
Jordan BelfortTargetSemi-targetNon-target
Target courses
Straight commNon-target
Non comm

The ATAR for something like UNSW or ANU Comm/law is around 97 which is what I'm aiming for atm. (Beware for UNSW comm/law you'll have to sit the LAT)

you linked an article which had the info and still got it wrong.. heh ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)