GT 86 Price (1 Viewer)

m.jakaran

HSC
Hi all, does anyone have an idea how much the GT86 is going to cost? I'm guessing low 40's at the moment but hopefully it's lower

m.jakaran

HSC
Looked over the pictures and the seats are definitely cloth, I'm a bit disappointed because I thought they'd be some kind of synthetic leather. Anyway, everything else looks good, thanks for the link.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'll wait until I see an Aussie delivered model before I pass judgement.

Ps cloth isn't such a bad thing particularly in this segment given that it provides far better grip for your body and people who are serious about racing would swap their own seats in anyway. I love my Mercedes leather seats but my Evo recaro seats were far superior for grip and it wasn't just down to the shape alone but also the materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
We all know how that turned out. Matte everything!

m.jakaran

HSC

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If I had the 86 I'd probably just keep it simple at first with sound system and aesthetics (lip kit or wheels). Performance mods will generally improve over time in both range, features and availability with prices falling too. Short ram intakes or cold air intake will always sound fantastic (even if they may violate other laws) as will a nice exhaust.

Agreed that 200hp is probably enough particularly for a light car but you'll find once you've owned a car for a while and have maxed out your utility or benefit from it you will crave more. I thought the civic was fast at one stage and similarly when I first drive the Evo X I thought it was too fast for me. Lo and behold the Evo was done up with bolt on intake and exhaust as well as full custom dyno tune to 240kW at the wheels.

Ps. My current Benz has 200hp and I find it sufficient but not amazing. That being said I don't track it so no point focussing on power. I love peaceful motoring with very good fuel economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a c

HSC
For the past 3 years, I've driven a car with 70hp, and been very happy with it, ideal amount of power.

Back in my dad's day, you had to get a 5L V8 to even get close to 200hp, the early nissan Z and Rx-7 cars had <150hp, and they were considered to be pokey cars.

The idea of 200hp is crazy to me. Yet you go on any forum, and there are people complaining about the lack of turbo on the 86, and that it will be slow. People don't seem to be able to appreciate the performance of a vehicle in absolute terms, only by judging it relative to other vehicles.

If you can appreciate something for it's own qualities, then I think 200hp in a 1200kg car, is a very rapid vehicle. If you are driven to judge what you have by comparison to the possessions of others, then 200hp probably won't be enough.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
^ I think it's because many people in the forum space are power-chasing and really think of horsepower as the lone measure and not as a relative measure (e.g. power to weight ratio). Either way though, relying solely on quantitative factors when analysing or comparing a car is rather limited and short sighted as there are plenty of elements to the enjoyment of a car which aren't measured in quantifiable terms.

200hp in a 1200kg car should be epic and IMO a nice well balanced N/A engine should bring plenty of smiles without all the hassles of a turbocharger. Besides, it's not like there won't be a turbocharger kit available in the short term future for those who really want one. To me though the thing which turns me off about the car is that if it ends up being bought by a lot of old people who have no interest in cars beyond it looking good/flash/fast/etc, then that ruins it for me. That's partially why I liked my Evo so much since barely anyone bought it. But on the other hand, there were plenty of lookalikes (which even looked faster). I still remember at a car meet once, I parked next to a friend with a done up CJ Lancer and I was asked why I did my Lancer up to look like the Evo next to it >_>

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
86 GT manual – $29,990
86 GT automatic – $32,490
86 GTS manual – $35,490
86 GTS automatic – $37,990

faark, so reasonably priced, this is the best thing ever.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
86 GT manual – $29,990
86 GTS manual – $35,490

yeah i saw that just now http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/driven-toyotas-30000-coupe-20120604-1zqv3.html

that's amazing. some people pointed out that for the specs it's not THAT great value but given it's a back to basics light sportscar which is really up against the likes of say an mx-5 rather than a rexxy, i think it's pretty amazing.

sucks for hyundai veloster which looked like it had the $30k sports market to itself.

m.jakaran

HSC
86 GT manual – $29,990
86 GTS manual – $35,490

I almost cried when I checked this morning! Faark indeed!

m.jakaran

HSC
lol (hi Sav). Anyway, now that the price has been released, I'm sure this car will define a generation of motoring enthusiasts! 90% chance I'll buy one when I graduate.

Last edited:

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
lol (hi sav). Anyway, now that the price has been released, i'm sure that this car will define a generation of motoring enthusiasts! 90% chance i'll buy one when i graduate.
fuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrr

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I also wonder if Toyota's 2.8% p/a financing deal will apply to this because if so, that's an even bigger bargain. If I had space for a second car this would be a strong contender.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)