Group work, and why it sucks! (1 Viewer)

HannahMc

HSC
Tell you stories about group work here. (I was told in a class today that we have group assignments)

Last year, I was taking a marketing class, and there was a 25-page report due, 5 people in the group, so we decided to do 5 pages each.

The morning it was due (due at 7pm) everyone sent me their parts, which was about 5 pages TOTAL.

I spent the ENTIRE day, from 7am to 6:30pm, trying to make up for it. Definitely the worst day of my entire uni life.

Now tell your stories! :)

touma88

HSC
I hate it too, Im usually the leader or the last-minute man who expects to receive everyone's part and 99% of the time someone has to muck up.

HSC
everyone knows group work sucks.

it especially blows when they decide to stick you with a bunch of people that can't even form a coherent sentence in english.

Chris.

HSC
katietheskatie said:
everyone knows group work sucks.

it especially blows when they decide to stick you with a bunch of people that can't even form a coherent sentence in english.
if u go to unsw, its even worse since you might be paired up with a fob. i swear i cant tell which ones are fob or not.

HSC
yes, fobs are what i was getting at. luckily for me, about 85% of the people who do my degree fall into this category.

jessamine

HSC
Hey!! some fobs can be incredibly hard working. especially the ones from the mainland. like god, they move so fast you can't tell if they have hands.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah, you cant generalise and say all fobs are lazy, actually most fobs i know are decidated uni students, where the language barrier is only the setback.
but i agree, id rather work an assignment by myself and get the mark i deserve than doing most of the work and dont get the mark i expected

HSC
i didn't say fobs are lazy, i said many of them have no idea how to speak english, and therefore it's basically impossible to do a group assignment with them.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i know that you didnt say fobs are lazy
like i said, its the communication that breaks down betwen group members if you're grouped with a person that cant speak english fluently

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
katietheskatie said:
i didn't say fobs are lazy, i said many of them have no idea how to speak english, and therefore it's basically impossible to do a group assignment with them.
or anything for that matter lol

anyway i used to think that fobs were new zealanders for some reason, idk why...

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
jemsta said:
i know that you didnt say fobs are lazy
like i said, its the communication that breaks down betwen group members if you're grouped with a person that cant speak english fluently

there can also be communication breakdowns in groups where people speak fluent english.... so fluent, that it includes "we can't put your part in because you haven't done it right" (so i ask: "well where's your part?" and the answer was: "oh I was waiting for everyone else to do theirs so I could have an idea of what I had to do"

DON'T FUCKING CRITICISE IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE THE WORK IDIOT!!!

end rant

Chris.

HSC
breaking said:
or anything for that matter lol

anyway i used to think that fobs were new zealanders for some reason, idk why...
me too. are you from the west? because i think its a westie thing. they call islanders, fobs lol

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
PrincessSJ said:
there can also be communication breakdowns in groups where people speak fluent english.... so fluent, that it includes "we can't put your part in because you haven't done it right" (so i ask: "well where's your part?" and the answer was: "oh I was waiting for everyone else to do theirs so I could have an idea of what I had to do"

DON'T FUCKING CRITICISE IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE THE WORK IDIOT!!!

end rant
well if the communication between the group was done with people that speak english fluently, then chances are that theyre lazy and would assume that the rest of the group would do their work for them
i know im generalising because that has happened to my group, where one member of our group werent attending meetings that our group organised and done jackall work, leaving just me and my mate finishing a 3-person project
basically i dont think its that hard to ask for help from your peers instead of making some excuse like you said above

i hope that 2nd last sentence in caps wasnt directed at me

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
the sentence is capitals was part of the rant towards the person who didn't do the work....

its only week 2, and its starting all over again this semester.. there is no escaping!

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I once had to completely rewrite one group members part of an essay because he couldn't write a single sentence of proper english.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I like group work. I usually take control as the natural leader, and manage to pace our assignments quite well. I've also been lucky to have great members in my group most of the time, but even when I had naturaly non-motivated ones, it's not that difficult to motivate them if you figure out how they like doing work. For marketing, especially, it's great to break the project into smaller parts, and then make it more practical for everyone. Deadlines each week will make everyone also work harder, and group members will be less likely to let the fellow group members down.

If you have a weak link in the group, it is also important to acknowledge that and either ask them about the problems they're having, and help them with it, or reduce their workload (it's better for you to have more work, than have something crap submitted at the end of the semester).

In later year subjects, you can tell the rest of your group that "this is it. lots of us are graduating, so this is our shot at getting a fantastic graduate position, by getting a great mark on this assignment". Also, make it clear what you want to get: I usually tell my group that I'm aiming for an HD overall, and want to get them the same mark.

Try and become friends with your group members. Again, it's difficult to let down your friends. Although, it's more difficult to be stern with them if you become too close. I met a bloke in first year econometrics class, and we became good mates. We then took an advertising subject together and were in the same group. Luckily he was quite productive and great, but if he wasn't it would be difficult to say anything and put the friendship on the line. I'll be doing another group project with him this semester in services marketing.

Don't sit next to asians if you don't want to be stuck with a fob. I know it sounds harsh, but most international students here are Asian (especially at USYD/UNSW/UTS), sitting next to caucasians will reduce that risk (although you may still get a European student).

A lot of the problems could have been avoided. Don't leave everything until the last minute - everyone should have sent their work in at least 5 days before the assignment was due.
Have set roles for everyone, for example, in marketing:
-Team Leader (who also doubles as something else)
-Marketing Communications Manager
-Market analyst (including competitors)
-Editor (best if it's the team leader)

stickywages

HSC
N/A
I don't like it when we have to choose our own group members. Also, I hate those who want to choose you as their group member cuz they expect you to be like "I'm serious about this, so if you don't do it, i can do it all by myself" and so they can leech your hardwork off like you are nothing. Yes, I'm using the word HATE because it is just so intense.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
stickywages said:
I don't like it when we have to choose our own group members. Also, I hate those who want to choose you as their group member cuz they expect you to be like "I'm serious about this, so if you don't do it, i can do it all by myself" and so they can leech your hardwork off like you are nothing. Yes, I'm using the word HATE because it is just so intense.
How would they know you're such a hard worker before choosing you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)