Group-based Assessments at Uni (1 Viewer)

Hanataro

HSC
Something that got me wondering.

Questions:
- Are most uni 'assessments' group-based?
- Does your lecturer / tutor assign you to a group?
- What do you do if you're stuck with a lazy group?

I personally hate group assignments. Really hope that I won't have to encounter many in uni life.
Have any stories / advice on group-based assignments?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
it depends what course it is.
it varies, some let u pick, some assign u in groups.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
This is usually dependent on the units you take as they vary.

Sometimes group are assigned but I've commonly found that in about 75% of cases, they let you choose your own groups.

You can always report lazy members to your tutor and I have seen this happen first hand in other groups. Let me tell you, it can get really heated. Otherwise, I would recommend dishing out a lot of the research work to lazier members. Sometimes they may come up with something you never considered.

Hanataro

HSC
This is usually dependent on the units you take as they vary.

Sometimes group are assigned but I've commonly found that in about 75% of cases, they let you choose your own groups.

You can always report lazy members to your tutor and I have seen this happen first hand in other groups. Let me tell you, it can get really heated. Otherwise, I would recommend dishing out a lot of the research work to lazier members. Sometimes they may come up with something you never considered.
So what courses would typically have lots of 'group-based' assignments?

Good to hear that there are options when you get lazy people...

Thank you for your advice! Btw, I love Sandara Park. :)

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Typically anything pertaining to reports has a chance of being a group assignment in regards to the Humanities-type units. Can't speak for Law but I wouldn't suspect a high chance of getting a group assignment for Commerce units but it would be likely for your Arts units.

Try to put a positive spin on it though. You are not guaranteed to have lazy members in your group and you just might make some new friends out of it. Just remember that collaboration can get frustrating in some circumstances but there is always support out there if you look for it.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
So what courses would typically have lots of 'group-based' assignments?

Good to hear that there are options when you get lazy people...

Thank you for your advice! Btw, I love Sandara Park. :)
You'll kinda get similar scores. Say if your assignment is worth 7/10. and peer reviews say one person didn't do much, they'd probs get 6/10, person who did the most will get 8/10.

but thats true, sometimes u can make good friends from group assignments :)

enoilgam

HSC
1) As mentioned, it depends on the degree, humanities based degrees tend to have more group work than science based degrees, although that is a broad generalisation
2) Depends on the tutor, sometimes yes other times no.
3) If you want a job done properly do it yourself. Personally, I prefer having a lazy group over an eager group who are hopeless, because at least then I can be in control and I can prevent people from doing stupid stuff. I know that sounds arrogant, but a lot of times at university (especially at my university) people have no clue what they are doing.

Group assignments are one of the most dreaded aspects of university and for good reason - they are mostly an irritating pain in the ass unless you have a group composed of your mates or people who are motivated and have a clue as to what they are doing (this is a hard group type to find). However, its important to remember that group assignments are a part of university because they a part of the workforce. At the end of the day, you will most likely be forced to work in groups when you go out in the workforce and you will probably encounter a few useless people. So its best to get used to it in uni before you cop it in the workforce.

Also just as a side note, the threat of peer review is useless. After all, if someone doesnt care enough to help you with their assignment, what makes you think that they will care about a peer review. A peer review is also useless if your group members do all their work but are hopeless - some members try and put in a genuine effort but the work they give you is awful. It's hard to give someone a bad review and possibly cost them marks if they put in effort. Finally, giving a person a bad peer review can create more trouble then its worth. I've seen bigtime "he said, she said" type feuds arising from peer reviews - its just easier to give everyone 100% and leave it at that. People might disagree with me over this post, but those are my observations.

Last edited:

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
I think I'm the only person who has had great results doing group work at uni. I got to choose what group I was in and everyone was very motivated. Got great results. It pays to befriend the smartest person in your course :D

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Something that got me wondering.

Questions:
- Are most uni 'assessments' group-based?
- Does your lecturer / tutor assign you to a group?
- What do you do if you're stuck with a lazy group?

I personally hate group assignments. Really hope that I won't have to encounter many in uni life.
Have any stories / advice on group-based assignments?
1. No.
2. No.
3. You do the work yourself.

I've done two group assignments, one went awesome - I had a great group who was super organised and they helped pull me up (they did the work and on the day I did a proportion of presenting to 'make' up for it) and we got full marks for that, iirc. The other one, didn't go too well. Basically the group split into two 'factions' which did their own thing, my part did great, the others... did their work but their presentation was just reading out formulas. Cost us dearly.

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
my experience in first year commerce at syd has been 5/8 subjects have had around 20% of marks being awarded for group assessments.
i personally dislike them because no one really preferences them over other assessments as they think the work load is less and leave it to the last minute after all their individual assessments.
for one unit i just did it myself and got good marks in it, so if you get it.. just do it if you dont really need help id say.
and for the peer review shit, you cant really be mean to people. i mean i always make friends with the people i do assessments with, and that's just dog. especially in some of my units you have to make a formal submission and explain why you are marking them down in a room with the people and your lecturer, and its not worth it. get over it

izzy88

HSC
I've spent 5 years at uni with no group assignments :) (i did mainly history, a language, and law).

It really depends on the subjects. As someone mentioned earlier - commerce seems to have group assignments in many subjects (but they like 20% or such of the course).

enoilgam

HSC
my experience in first year commerce at syd has been 5/8 subjects have had around 20% of marks being awarded for group assessments.
i personally dislike them because no one really preferences them over other assessments as they think the work load is less and leave it to the last minute after all their individual assessments.
for one unit i just did it myself and got good marks in it, so if you get it.. just do it if you dont really need help id say.
and for the peer review shit, you cant really be mean to people. i mean i always make friends with the people i do assessments with, and that's just dog. especially in some of my units you have to make a formal submission and explain why you are marking them down in a room with the people and your lecturer, and its not worth it. get over it
Couldnt agree more, especially with whats in bold, dont dog people for university. If you want to look at it in selfish terms, if you get a good mark, who cares if another person gets the same mark by doing no work. In one of my group assignments, one group member didnt participate in the assignment at all. We ended up getting a good mark and I gave them a 100% review. At the end of the day, I didnt lose any sleep over the fact that they got a good mark off the back of our hard work - I slept well knowing that I got a good mark.

kcqn93

HSC
Peer assessments/reviews!

If they don't contribute or do their work on time, I would usually give them an extremely low mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)