GREAT. uni cut-offs on the rise. (1 Viewer)

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
no i think the number is closer to 300-ish?
99.8 to get into a course is ridiculous, 99.6 is already pretty absurd. but i guess everyone last year who wanted to do law would be aiming for 99.4. maybe at the end of the year, you'll realise that even 99.6 won't be enough.

ahahah, how depressing

is a roflcopter
HSC
i hope commerce liberal studies doesnt turn into a 99 subject :mad1:

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
shhhhhh, stop publicising the course :rolleyes:

but hmm, i have thought about that.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Toodulu
hmm, but isn't the cutoff high because stacks of people who want to do it got a high uai?
Originally posted by Newbie
i thought the uni cutoff was determined by the person with the lowest UAI that got into the course
Yes - these statements are both correct.

If the HECS reforms are successfully passed (which they probably will be), the USYD Faculty of Law will be limiting the number of places to 90 (which includes 10 fee places). In 2002, that would have meant a HECS cut-off of 99.75.

I've heard of no such plans for UNSW, but as a comparison, had they implemented such a strategy, their 2002 HECS cut-off would have been 99.60.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
It's not all bad news... think of it this way: you enrol in say Arts, then study like mad, and transfer... you eventually end up in the course you want, or alternately, you do Arts, do miserably and drop out... *shrugs (negativity from Maths assignment, atm)*

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
80 hecs places? ahaha, that's impossible. geesh, i probably know of 80 people who are going to put combined law as their first preference!! that is absolutely ridiculous!
the law guy at usyd said that around 200 people apply for 2nd year transfer and 40-50 people get in.
i suppose 1 out of 4 people get in, but then again, 3 out of 4 don't. so hmm yea.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ahhhhhh
i know!!

could have happened next year!!

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
It's not all bad news... think of it this way: you enrol in say Arts, then study like mad, and transfer... you eventually end up in the course you want, or alternately, you do Arts, do miserably and drop out... *shrugs (negativity from Maths assignment, atm)*
sorry to be pedantic but couldn't you do arts, enjoy your course and get a decent job afterwards too

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by johnson
sorry to be pedantic but couldn't you do arts, enjoy your course and get a decent job afterwards too
of course you could... i meant that if there was a course in the 90s, and you missed out, you could still do that course, just later down the track :)

is a roflcopter
HSC
half my grade will put usyd law first and then unsw law second and then uts law third

they should give law more places!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
250 get into usyd law each year...similar numbers for unsw
The actual figures often vary to those that are published... for the main round in 2002, USYD made 237 offers and UNSW made 305 (including all fee-paying and transfer students; I'm inclined to believe that UNSW allows more transfers).

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
shit man thats rediculous... i might not even be able to get into a normal BA at mac.... shit no... and you would expect BA to be the easiest to get into yet at mac other courses have a lower uai... it is currently 85 i THINK and it rose about 3 from 02-03 so if it rises to like 89/90 this year than i prob wont be able to get it... and if i cant get into that i wont get into anything.... i guess i would just have to go for usyd or unsw which have a uai of about 77 for arts atm.... fuck fuck fuck

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
woops!!!!!!! i dont know where i was looking... :rolleyes: hmm hahaha ok i saw the 2001 cut off- i feel like a fool for the second time today... ohh well shit happens...

just wondering... are the subjects they put in the uac guide under the arts degree the ONLY subjects that particular uni offers in that course?

FLR-IT

wats so good bout arts

there is always law at UWS < LOL the cutoff is like 90.10 and u can bring it down a further 5 marks if ur successful in the RET test

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
there is absolutly nothing thats so good about arts its just that i dont know what i want to do, what i enjoy, what i want to be and so on therefore that is the only suitable course for me

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
hahah yes well i will see how it goes... i will put down all three... mac, unsw then syd cause there is not point of me travelling to unsw if i can go somewhere that is right under my nose- ie mac...
hahah looking through the uac guide.. as i am doing now... scares me sooooooo much! and i dont understand how people can know exactly what they want... im so envious of all of you who do... who have a course you want based on the career you are aiming for... man i envy you very very much

mullet

Dazed - I do arts at unsw ... kinda fun ... I'm only in my first semester though, cause I was a uni drop-out last sem.

Commerce sucked.

The subjects are actually interesting ... I do english, history, politics and linguistics (gag - but it means i only have to go in 3 days instead of 4). Commerce subjects were just blah ...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
If Law at Sydney rose to =<99.8, that'd be insane, seriously

Originally posted by mullet
The subjects are actually interesting ... I do english, history, politics and linguistics (gag - but it means i only have to go in 3 days instead of 4). Commerce subjects were just blah ...
I think those subjects are WAY more boring than the commerce subjects! I mean...lingusitics!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)