Grammatical Mistakes in Novels (1 Viewer)

Bereie

HSC
I left the comma splice in there intentionally. I just knew you would see it.

Take me!!!

lonely-lass

HSC
N/A
Possibly this could happen, so far in my reading experience haven't found any.

X

xeuyrawp

I always thought these would very rarely exist, but I seem to run into them occasionally. Could books be printed with errors because sometimes books are written and published quickly and there isn't enough time for all the errors to be located/removed? Or perhaps publishers are aware of the errors but don't want to correct the mistakes (or aren't allowed to) as this was not how the artist originally intended their work to be viewed? Or maybe mistakes are added on purpose?
Do you mean typos - because most novels have grammatical mistakes which are considered fine, eg 'he is taller than me' etc

Bereie

HSC
In a sentence like "He is taller than me", the word 'than' is used as a comparative and is considered a conjunction. Thus, you use the subjective pronoun rather than the objective.

Examples:
"We are taller than them", is really saying "We are taller than them are tall". Does that sound correct? Nien.

The correct way of saying that is: "We are taller than they", as it is really saying "We are taller than they are tall".

When you use 'than', mentally insert what comes after the pronoun to see if it makes sense.

Correct:
"He is taller than I am tall"
"He is fatter than she is fat"
"She is smarter than he is smart"
"I like playing video games more than she likes playing video games"

Incorrect:
"He is taller than me am tall"
"He is fatter than her is fat"
"She is smarter than him is smart"
"I like playing video games more than her likes playing video games"

Last edited:
HSC
The Twilight series has an abundance of spelling errors, esp. New Moon.

I thought I was dyslexic throughout the second novel.
I was all like omg wuts happening to mee, but it was just a shitload of errors from an inept author.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
While reading it, I picked up not so much spelling errors; just an abundance of shit writing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)