Grafitti tagger sentenced to EIGHT years in gaol (1 Viewer)

Yasser Arafat

Banned
HSC
N/A
harming property is the same as harming a person

edit: except not cos property can be replaced/repaired

bodies can but onyl to an extent

Last edited:

pman

Banned
HSC
A human being's body is that person's property. Killing a human being amounts to destroying that property, its monetary value is hard to estimate, but it is still property with value.

Possessing a particular plant does not harm persons or property! Arguably it harms the person who uses the drugs, but is their body not their property which they have a right to treat badly?

Rolled eyes right back at you, you cunt.
the humans body's monetary value is insanely high because we are dead without it, most people would give everything they own for a few extra yrs of life, ur body is priceless

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
the actual cost of our chemical makeup probaly isn't that much lol

0bs3n3

HSC
Good. Graffiti is so disgusting on the eye I really couldn't care less what happens to the perpetrators tbqh.

meeatu

HSC
woah! encouraging people to attack a judge. careful, or you might get 15 years.

as for the sentence, i cant understand why someone would go around tagging for 6 months. absolute disregard for society, i dont think such an attitude would be easily corrected with community service + fine

quick google search revealed that his sentence was reduced. 2 years seems good

Irate judge won’t get to tag graffiti vandal with eight years | Raw Story
Serve 2 years in prison, tell me if you still feel the same way ^__^
How much you wanna bet you won't change your mind?

Last edited:

meeatu

HSC
While his sentence is undoubtedly way too excessive, no one wants to see his shitty punk paint spray.
It's dirty and what fucked up people do.
Hurray for generalisations!
Fucked up people spray paint ^__^
derrr... it's liek common knowledge and stuffz!

And as for "it's dirty"...
Fun fact for today: Your toilet seat is approximatel 17 times cleaner than any chopping board in your kitchen. - Funny how that sort of relates to the whole idea that sometimes things aren't what they seem, and just because you, like read it in a magazine or because it's in all the movies, doesn't make it true.

I bet it would strike you as a surprise too, that a key diagnosed short-term effect of smoking weed is not in fact to squint, hiccup and murmur in a fake Bronxian accent about how fine that shit is. :p

Grow up. It's fucking paint, not cyanide!

HSC
Uni Grad
yes, cause as historical evidence shows, time in state penitentiaries has a wonderful way of cleaning people up :p

Try thinking for once...

Hurray for generalisations!
Fucked up people spray paint ^__^
derrr... it's liek common knowledge and stuffz!

And as for "it's dirty"...
Fun fact for today: Your toilet seat is approximatel 17 times cleaner than any chopping board in your kitchen. - Funny how that sort of relates to the whole idea that sometimes things aren't what they seem, and just because you, like read it in a magazine or because it's in all the movies, doesn't make it true.

I bet it would strike you as a surprise too, that a key diagnosed short-term effect of smoking weed is not in fact to squint, hiccup and murmur in a fake Bronxian accent about how fine that shit is. :p

Grow up. It's fucking paint, not cyanide!

In conclusion

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Good. Graffiti is so disgusting on the eye I really couldn't care less what happens to the perpetrators tbqh.
Luckily it can be cheaply and easily removed.

The estimated value of the damage was only $7500, yet they are going to spend around $30 000 a year to lock him up when they could have just made him clean up the mess he made.

Sense? It makes none.

Last edited:
HSC
The issue is whether he deserved a disproportionate punishment.

I don't think any one of us is initially concerned with costs, other than the price that he has to pay with his time and life over something incredibly trivial. That is all.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
The issue is whether he deserved a disproportionate punishment.

I don't think any one of us is initially concerned with costs, other than the price that he has to pay with his time and life over something incredibly trivial. That is all.
I am concerned about the costs. He is just one guy, but when you look at the costs of all this excessive imprisonment throughout the US criminal justice system it ends up being hundred of billions of dollars.

murphyad

HSC
Don't know this for certain, but I'm just saying:

Making an example of this guy by giving him such a massive sentence may convince taggers to refrain from their antisocial behaviour, stopping them from committing the crime and going to prison in the first place. That would equal hundreds of billions of dollars saved, then.

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh, though I reckon 2 would have more than sufficed to set and example. Only a guess/opinion but yeh.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Don't know this for certain, but I'm just saying:

Making an example of this guy by giving him such a massive sentence may convince taggers to refrain from their antisocial behaviour, stopping them from committing the crime and going to prison in the first place. That would equal hundreds of billions of dollars saved, then.
Yeah it has worked really well with other crimes. Despite the ridiculously draconian sentences for drug offences in the USA compared to the mild (sometime non-existent) sentences in the EU, the USA has higher rates of drug abuse than most EU countries.

Similar patterns can be observed in death penalty v non-death penalty states. Harsher penalties tend not to make much difference. Although it may seem logical that they would to us; most criminals are clearly not rationally weighing the costs and benefits of their actions when they offend.

Draconian punishments are also likely to cost more money because people are more likely to plead not guilty and to make numerous appeals when the stakes are high, whereas if the sentence was just some community service people would be much more willing to just accept that they have done the wrong thing and take their punishment.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)